5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Ram air kit

canative

Reaction score
Anyone install the Mopar Ram air kit? It's really expensive with shipping, over $900. Is it worth it? Easy to install and remove once I have to start to smog it?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are a lot of people on here who have. I went with the Vaaram. But, the Mopar is nice. There was talk of a hood to match, but nothing from Ram so far. There are no performance gains for a CAI on these trucks. It does sound different because you can hear the intake.
a02f071fa63693e8bc85e762ff6d22f3.jpg

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only consistent reports about the Ram Air is slightly improved acceleration. Maybe better highway MPG by a smidge. Here is the thread about it; many, many pages of good reading.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
Anyone install the Mopar Ram air kit? It's really expensive with shipping, over $900. Is it worth it? Easy to install and remove once I have to start to smog it?
I purchased one from ebay $715 does look nice but could not tell a difference. maybe going to resell it

redneck

Reaction score
i just installed the mopar ram air on my truck & the ac controls are different on the touch screen & it blows hot air on drivers side & cold air on passenger side only has hi & low no number settings between. any advice?

redneck

Reaction score
also when i go in to the settings menu their is nothing it is blank screens

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Did you disconnect the battery for the install? If so the system sometimes takes anywhere from a few mins to a few hours to fully comeback for some reason.

redneck

Reaction score
yes i unhooked the neg battery cable befor i started the install it has only been 30 minutes since i rehooked the battery

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
yes i unhooked the neg battery cable befor i started the install it has only been 30 minutes since i rehooked the battery
It is normal. It can take a few hours for everything to come back. The computer has to talk to all the other systems to update itself.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

redneck

Reaction score
wow it took 4 hours for my truck to start working again after un hooking the battery lost some programed stuff but the seats & radio stations stayed. also the lie-o-meter now says i LOST 4 mpg on the interstate cruise set at 80 mph =14.4 i was getting 18.5 on the interstate yesterday same tank of fuel. not impressed with ram trucks at all. nice interior & thats it. towes like crap, week engine, bad mpg, engine tick at 600 miles, lack luster warranty. hope gmc changes their interior for 22

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
wow it took 4 hours for my truck to start working again after un hooking the battery lost some programed stuff but the seats & radio stations stayed. also the lie-o-meter now says i LOST 4 mpg on the interstate cruise set at 80 mph =14.4 i was getting 18.5 on the interstate yesterday same tank of fuel. not impressed with ram trucks at all. nice interior & thats it. towes like crap, week engine, bad mpg, engine tick at 600 miles, lack luster warranty. hope gmc changes their interior for 22

I really tried not to feed the troll here, but I can't resist. Need some context on some of what you said, although this is the wrong thread and we're getting off topic.

4 hours is perfectly within the "normal" range of experiences I've read about.

The MPG and power will suffer for a bit as she relearns after a battery disconnect, as well as the transmission and other things behaving a bit sluggish or off. This is normal for any car. Depending on who you ask, it could be done relearning after a dozen miles, or a hundred, or a bit longer.

Not sure what you're comparing it against to call it "weak" or bad at towing.

The 6.2L GM motor (and GM's transmissions) has its own issues. Although I personally think its a good engine, it also gets slightly worse MPG.

Warranty is the same as Ford's and GMC's.

Depending on how long the microchip shortage delays things, GM is planning on redoing some of their interiors for 2022. There are some spy shots out there via GM Authority, I believe.

U

User_18352

Lost all of my cameras for a few hours after installing the Ram Air Flow, next morning they were all back. It's been my experience that these trucks have all sorts of weird little electrical gremlins that happen from time to time but they seem to sort themselves out somehow. I've experienced at least 3 - 4 of them, I try to remedy the issue (almost always unsuccessfully) shrug and walk away from it for the night. By the next day the truck seems to be working as it should.

redneck

Reaction score
I really tried not to feed the troll here, but I can't resist. Need some context on some of what you said, although this is the wrong thread and we're getting off topic.

4 hours is perfectly within the "normal" range of experiences I've read about.

The MPG and power will suffer for a bit as she relearns after a battery disconnect, as well as the transmission and other things behaving a bit sluggish or off. This is normal for any car. Depending on who you ask, it could be done relearning after a dozen miles, or a hundred, or a bit longer.

Not sure what you're comparing it against to call it "weak" or bad at towing.

The 6.2L GM motor (and GM's transmissions) has its own issues. Although I personally think its a good engine, it also gets slightly worse MPG.

Warranty is the same as Ford's and GMC's.

Depending on how long the microchip shortage delays things, GM is planning on redoing some of their interiors for 2022. There are some spy shots out there via GM Authority, I believe.
yes i agree gm's trans are a bit clunky but that 6.2 rips. way more tq. by the seat of your pants & i got 16.5 in town & 20.5 on the interstate over 50k miles that i owned it& i didnt drive it easy 4k on the shifts most of the time. i changed my battery 4 x on 2 of my gmc trucks & never lost function of anything just weird my ac on the ram didnt work for 4 hours . rams warranty is not even close to the same as gm's i could get a loaner at gm for just a oil change & tire rotation ram had my new truck for 2 days no loaner told me to rent a home depot truck also ram takes lots of pictures for pre approval before they can start the work. yes the ramair does add a little power from 40 mph & up i can feel it merging on to the interstate. o yeah & the trailer sway is bad on the ram compaired to the leaf spring denali i drove was rock steady

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
yes i agree gm's trans are a bit clunky but that 6.2 rips. way more tq. by the seat of your pants & i got 16.5 in town & 20.5 on the interstate over 50k miles that i owned it& i didnt drive it easy 4k on the shifts most of the time. i changed my battery 4 x on 2 of my gmc trucks & never lost function of anything just weird my ac on the ram didnt work for 4 hours . rams warranty is not even close to the same as gm's i could get a loaner at gm for just a oil change & tire rotation ram had my new truck for 2 days no loaner told me to rent a home depot truck also ram takes lots of pictures for pre approval before they can start the work. yes the ramair does add a little power from 40 mph & up i can feel it merging on to the interstate. o yeah & the trailer sway is bad on the ram compaired to the leaf spring denali i drove was rock steady
I must of test drove a "week" 6.2 because the only thing that "ripped" on my test drive was my a$$ from the Mexican buffet I had for lunch. Seriously I thought something was preventing the accelerator peddle from going all the way down.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I must of test drove a "week" 6.2 because the only thing that "ripped" on my test drive was my a$$ from the Mexican buffet I had for lunch.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

redneck

Reaction score
their is a feature on the gas petal on the gmc to help it save mpg if you think you had it to the floor you were prob wrong their is a (notch) in the throttle travel at 75% & you really have to push it down harder to get 100% i thought my petal was broken but their was a page in the book that explained it. also they had a problem with floormats also. lol no one can make a floor mat that works? my gmc 6.2 standard box crew cab 4x4 3.23 gears 22" tires would run 0-60 5.2 all the time only mod was a corsa cat back exhaust https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10114089-9999.pdf

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Loaner vehicles aren’t from manufacture warranty but a perk of the dealer. I’ve got a good relationship with my dealer and when I had a broken rear window they gave me a loaner even though I was paying out of pocket for the glass because of vandalism.

redneck

Reaction score
That's funny when my GM dealership would run out of loners they would go to budget and rent me a car and write it up on my warranty paperwork made it look like they were getting reimbursed from GM for the cost

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
There’s a sticky on this intake in the powertrain 5.7 section that may help your decision. I have the intake and is it worth it to me? Sure but I didn’t mind spending the money for very little in return and I don’t have to remove/reinstall for a smog test. Would I do it again? Yep. I love the looks of it and no I don’t drive around with my hood up. But neither do S&B or K&N etc drivers that say they love the looks of their intake. Just don’t expect much in performance for return.

not sure how we got talking about gmc and how great they are??? weird…

Users who are viewing this thread