5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Performance Exhaust Install, Thoughts and Plans

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Install was easy peasy. I was able to remove the stock exhaust without cutting or lifting the truck by removing the spare tire and heat shield. Took me 2 hours, but had to join a couple zoom meetings during... probably an hour install if you’re focused. Instructions indicated that I should wrap some heat tape around the lines running to the rear end, but it wasn’t in the box, so had to slap on a mask and risk a trip to the parts store. Otherwise, install was uneventful.

Sounds amazing! At least that’s what I’d say if it was on someone else’s truck... it’s loud as sh*t. I know. I know. It’s a performance cat back, it’s gonna be loud, but if you haven’t added one to a vehicle before it’s tough to foresee exactly the difference it’s going to make. I knew it was going to be louder, but man oh man... I just went from “is the truck running?” to “I wonder if this is going to set off car alarms in the garage at work”. It’s going to be an adjustment.

I didn’t bother recording the sound because it’s just not possible to accurately capture the difference. I can confirm that because I watched a couple dozen before and after videos and not-a-one prepared me for the difference. Volume aside, it does sounds great. A nice burble at idle once warm, good low tones while cruising, and a great bark when you get on it. It gives the truck character.

Next steps, I’m going to add a Borla universal resonator behind the tiny pre-muffler and ahead of the new Mopar muffler and see if that doesn’t take some edge off. I don’t expect it will, but I‘m going to drive it a bit and see how I feel in a month or 2. I don’t want to go back to stock... it’s just too quiet. May end up cutting up the stock exhaust and simply adding a muffler. I’m also toying with the idea of converting to an active/adjustable exhaust, but haven’t done any research in the possibility.

Honestly, if it were a 69 Camaro or a 71 firebird, I’d be in love, but on a late model full-size luxury pickup, it feels a little silly.

Mike77

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I put a Flowmaster Super 44 on mine and left the resonators on. I have debated on getting the Mopar exhaust or the Borla Atak. However, I’m afraid that I will love the sound initially but get tired of it after awhile. I think I’m going to keep what I have. The Super 44 has a nice bark at a cold start and when I gun it but then idles down to a very low growl. It sounds like a truck but it’s not going to aggravate the neighbors too much.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I put a Flowmaster Super 44 on mine and left the resonators on. I have debated on getting the Mopar exhaust or the Borla Atak. However, I’m afraid that I will love the sound initially but get tired of it after awhile. I think I’m going to keep what I have. The Super 44 has a nice bark at a cold start and when I gun it but then idles down to a very low growl. It sounds like a truck but it’s not going to aggravate the neighbors too much.
I'm still deciding on mine, choosing between FM Super 44, Super 40 or 40 series Delta flow. Plan on keeping resonators on. Was leaning 44, but my only concern is drone when the MDS kicks in, are you hearing any drone?

Mike77

Reaction score
I'm still deciding on mine, choosing between FM Super 44, Super 40 or 40 series Delta flow. Plan on keeping resonators on. Was leaning 44, but my only concern is drone when the MDS kicks in, are you hearing any drone?
Yes and no. There is a slight change in tone when MDS kicks in. I wouldn't say the difference is anymore drastic than the stock muffler change of tone when MDS kicks in. Obviously, the Super 44 amplifies that change some because it is a louder muffler; I don't know if I would call it "drone." I also kept the resonators on the truck.

I will say this and keep it secret...I put the FM Super 44 on without telling the wife. I literally drove it for almost two months before she said anything. The only reason she said something is because I had all of the windows down, the back window open, and I asked her if she thought the truck sounded good. She actually said yes. However, about two minutes later she asked if we could roll the windows up because of the noise and that was when the MDS had just kicked in. My wife is overly sensitive to noise and very easily annoyed with loud mufflers. She had not complained or said a word until I brought it up, and even then she wasn't complaining. That was two weeks ago and she hasn't said anything else.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here, did it without tell my wife and up until still today she still didn't know(maybe) but whenever she ride with me, i always step on it hard any chance i got.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As an owner of (2) Mopar catback performance exhaust I definitely see your point. No it’s not anywhere stock sounding, and when you punch it you hear it. I really feel this has to do with the placement of the muffler. As I do more with my truck I have a strong feeling I will go back to stock as to not be as noticeable. But man when folks who aren’t even into exhausts say how sweet it sounds, it makes me just want to stay with it lol.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
As an owner of (2) Mopar catback performance exhaust I definitely see your point. No it’s not anywhere stock sounding, and when you punch it you hear it. I really feel this has to do with the placement of the muffler. As I do more with my truck I have a strong feeling I will go back to stock as to not be as noticeable. But man when folks who aren’t even into exhausts say how sweet it sounds, it makes me just want to stay with it lol.

Just got done installing the Borla universal resonator and couldn’t be happier. It’s EXACTLY what I had in mind when i started this mod. I’m so happy that I’m going to create a new post just to draw attention to the setup.

I installed the resonator just behind the small factory muffler and the new Mopar muffler and it’s taken the exhaust from 11 to 8. Cold start is still loud, but I can definitely live with that. I’ve only put 5 miles on the setup so we’ll see how I feel in a few days. Had my wife drive up and down the driveway and give it the beans and it’s damn near perfect.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Nice but for those who may want to do this, can you pleas post exactly which Borla universal resonator that you used and where it was purchased ?

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Yes and no. There is a slight change in tone when MDS kicks in. I wouldn't say the difference is anymore drastic than the stock muffler change of tone when MDS kicks in. Obviously, the Super 44 amplifies that change some because it is a louder muffler; I don't know if I would call it "drone." I also kept the resonators on the truck.
I got the Super 40 installed yesterday, kept the resos on. Was surprised it wasn't louder, it's got a bit more rumble than stock but not that much really, maybe just a better overall exhaust "note", and overall I'm happy with it. I hear a small amount of drone when the MDS is on and you press on the gas a bit at about 1500 rpms, but no big deal. If the Super 44 has more drone to it, then for me it probably wouldn't be worth the extra rumble and loudness over the Super 40. But I definitely wouldn't want anything more quiet than the Super 40 with the resos left on.

20200424_123718.jpg

20200424_124237.jpg

20200424_124047.jpg

Arth

Reaction score
I've had the mopar cat back exhaust on my 4th gen and now my 5th gen as well. For whatever reason they did make it a lot louder on the 5th gen. Personally it doesn't bother me. I get compliments on it often but it is a lot louder than what people might expect.

Mike77

Reaction score
I got the Super 40 installed yesterday, kept the resos on. Was surprised it wasn't louder, it's got a bit more rumble than stock but not that much really, maybe just a better overall exhaust "note", and overall I'm happy with it. I hear a small amount of drone when the MDS is on and you press on the gas a bit at about 1500 rpms, but no big deal. If the Super 44 has more drone to it, then for me it probably wouldn't be worth the extra rumble and loudness over the Super 40. But I definitely wouldn't want anything more quiet than the Super 40 with the resos left on.

View attachment 53875

View attachment 53873

View attachment 53874
I went by the exhaust shop the other day to have the mechanic take the Super 44 off for the Super 10. He actually talked me out of it. He didn’t think there would be much of a difference because of the resonators. Don’t get me wrong, the 44 sounds great but for me the exhaust sound is like crack, you always just want a little more.:LOL:

A friend commented on the 44 today. He really liked it.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
I went by the exhaust shop the other day to have the mechanic take the Super 44 off for the Super 10. He actually talked me out of it. He didn’t think there would be much of a difference because of the resonators. Don’t get me wrong, the 44 sounds great but for me the exhaust sound is like crack, you always just want a little more.:LOL:

A friend commented on the 44 today. He really liked it.
So are you not getting drone at about 1500rpms when you give it a little gas as I described above?

Mike77

Reaction score
So are you not getting drone at about 1500rpms when you give it a little gas as I described above?
Nothing at 1500 rpm. There is a slight change in tone when MDS kicks in but I don't know if I would call it drone...it’s just a change of tone. Tone is so subjective. What may be glorious for one guy can be obnoxious for another. I was appreciative of the mechanic’s honesty.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Nothing at 1500 rpm. There is a slight change in tone when MDS kicks in but I don't know if I would call it drone...it’s just a change of tone. Tone is so subjective. What may be glorious for one guy can be obnoxious for another. I was appreciative of the mechanic’s honesty.
For me it's not necessarily when the MDS kicks in, it's if I give it a little gas at 1500rpm, reminds me of a stick shift vehicle when you shift a little too early and the sound you get with the engine bogging down a bit. Where it's noticeable is if you are trying to have a conversation with passengers, I can hear it and it's a little distracting. With the radio on it's not that noticeable. Also, I had to turn off the cruise control because any time it would kick in to accelerate I would hear the drone, but again that was when I was trying to have a conversation with 3 other passengers.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
For me it's not necessarily when the MDS kicks in, it's if I give it a little gas at 1500rpm, reminds me of a stick shift vehicle when you shift a little too early and the sound you get with the engine bogging down a bit. Where it's noticeable is if you are trying to have a conversation with passengers, I can hear it and it's a little distracting. With the radio on it's not that noticeable. Also, I had to turn off the cruise control because any time it would kick in to accelerate I would hear the drone, but again that was when I was trying to have a conversation with 3 other passengers.
Hadn't driven in a few days and took it out today. It was just me in the truck, sometimes with music on, other times without it. I'm actually ok with the drone I'm hearing at 1500 rpm with a little bit of foot on the pedal, it's really not that bad. And of course the Super 40 has great rumble at start and when you get after the pedal a bit, it's much better than stock for sure. Overall I'm happy with the mod.

beantown

Reaction score
Just got done installing the Borla universal resonator and couldn’t be happier. It’s EXACTLY what I had in mind when i started this mod. I’m so happy that I’m going to create a new post just to draw attention to the setup.

I installed the resonator just behind the small factory muffler and the new Mopar muffler and it’s taken the exhaust from 11 to 8. Cold start is still loud, but I can definitely live with that. I’ve only put 5 miles on the setup so we’ll see how I feel in a few days. Had my wife drive up and down the driveway and give it the beans and it’s damn near perfect.
Nice but for those who may want to do this, can you pleas post exactly which Borla universal resonator that you used and where it was purchased ?

Sorry for bringing this back after some time but I was interested in hearing more from BmoreStew on what he thinks about the Mopar exhaust with the Borla universal resonator after driving it for a bit. I've heard the Mopar exhaust and alone its louder than what I'm looking for and was curious how much of a difference the resonator made.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this back after some time but I was interested in hearing more from BmoreStew on what he thinks about the Mopar exhaust with the Borla universal resonator after driving it for a bit. I've heard the Mopar exhaust and alone its louder than what I'm looking for and was curious how much of a difference the resonator made.

By itself the mopar exhaust was embarrassingly loud, mostly it was the cracking and popping as the engine spun up and down again. A great sound on the right car, but was too much for the truck. The added resonator removed the crackle, enhanced the bass, and brought the overall volume down.It’s a good sharp sound too, not hallow or too smooth. It still sounds mean, but more truck than stock car.

Thinking about it now, what I didn’t like about stock was that the engine completely drowned out the exhaust, no matter where you were in the rev band. This setup puts them on just about equal footing.

Again, I did not remove the small factory resonator closes to the manifold, just put a 10” resonator between it and the muffler. Here’s the resonator I added https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-401343

beantown

Reaction score
Thanks for the added info. If you ever record a sound clip of the new setup I'd love to hear it. Sounds like this is a great setup for the Mopar exhaust which I agree sounded too loud (specifically for my want/need).

PorBoy

Reaction score
It’s funny as I’m about to pull mine off and go back to stock. I’ll be running back and forth from NJ to NC and wife wants it quiet.

Bookemdano

Reaction score
By itself the mopar exhaust was embarrassingly loud, mostly it was the cracking and popping as the engine spun up and down again. A great sound on the right car, but was too much for the truck. The added resonator removed the crackle, enhanced the bass, and brought the overall volume down.It’s a good sharp sound too, not hallow or too smooth. It still sounds mean, but more truck than stock car.

Thinking about it now, what I didn’t like about stock was that the engine completely drowned out the exhaust, no matter where you were in the rev band. This setup puts them on just about equal footing.

Again, I did not remove the small factory resonator closes to the manifold, just put a 10” resonator between it and the muffler. Here’s the resonator I added Borla 401343 Borla Stainless Steel Resonators | Summit Racing
Your setup sounds like what I'm looking for. I'd like to add some character to my exhaust, but I don't want it to be obnoxious.

Would it be too much trouble for you to detail what you ended up with?

Users who are viewing this thread