5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MOPAR bed extender installation on Limited

Minitwin51

Reaction score
I ordered an OEM bed extender to install on my 2020 Limited.

Due to the spray-in bed liner installed from the factory, I do not have the ‘dimples’ as a template. I did not receive any template for the mounts in the box.

Has anyone installed this in their truck with a bed liner? If so, where did you get the template from for the mounts?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to directions it comes with a set of templates(item#12) it shows the template in installation directions(not sure if it's full size template) , could they have cut costs and you need to cut out? Hopefully whoever you ordered from can get you taken care of.
24226291807b02ca9106686c479ba836.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered an OEM bed extender to install on my 2020 Limited.

Due to the spray-in bed liner installed from the factory, I do not have the ‘dimples’ as a template. I did not receive any template for the mounts in the box.

Has anyone installed this in their truck with a bed liner? If so, where did you get the template from for the mounts?
I installed mine last year (factory bed liner). I could not find the dimples either. Once I had the extender assembled, I set it into position on the the bed with the mounts attached to the extenders hooks. I manually rotated them until they were vertical (used a small level) and traced the outline of the bracket onto the bedside with a white wax crayon. Then I removed the brackets from the extender and held them in place on their newly traced mounting points so that I could mark the holes. Once the holes were marked, I drilled the holes and mounted them. Works as designed without issue for over a year now. I like folding it into the bed underneath my tonneau so that I can store stuff in the bed near the tailgate w/o it flying forward under braking. Good luck.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
The template should be included I would think. I did find them in the manual located here: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/resources/installation/MPG/18_82215724.pdf

It is a little funny because there is no template on the beginning ENGLISH version but if you keep scrolling the pages you will find the SPANISH version and under number 14 there is the template. You fold the template along the lines and bend it over the side as shown in the photos. If you print out the manual I am hoping it would be the correct size for you but verify that the bracket holes line up first of course. The other thing to note is that the bed liner is some pretty hard material. I recommend making sure you have a good (new is best) sharp drill bit when installing. I broke a bit when I did mine.

Minitwin51

Reaction score
The template should be included I would think. I did find them in the manual located here: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/resources/installation/MPG/18_82215724.pdf

It is a little funny because there is no template on the beginning ENGLISH version but if you keep scrolling the pages you will find the SPANISH version and under number 14 there is the template. You fold the template along the lines and bend it over the side as shown in the photos. If you print out the manual I am hoping it would be the correct size for you but verify that the bracket holes line up first of course. The other thing to note is that the bed liner is some pretty hard material. I recommend making sure you have a good (new is best) sharp drill bit when installing. I broke a bit when I did mine.

Good eye! Thank you for this!

The instructions I received were only in English. The original diagram offered no template at all. These instructions worked perfectly!

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used my oem bed extender from my 2013 that was less then 8 months old. I put in place rotated brackets and marked spots for screws.
Works perfect

Fatnipples

Reaction score
I installed mine last year (factory bed liner). I could not find the dimples either. Once I had the extender assembled, I set it into position on the the bed with the mounts attached to the extenders hooks. I manually rotated them until they were vertical (used a small level) and traced the outline of the bracket onto the bedside with a white wax crayon. Then I removed the brackets from the extender and held them in place on their newly traced mounting points so that I could mark the holes. Once the holes were marked, I drilled the holes and mounted them. Works as designed without issue for over a year now. I like folding it into the bed underneath my tonneau so that I can store stuff in the bed near the tailgate w/o it flying forward under braking. Good luck.
Can you use the extended as well as having the utility rails installed?

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also measured and installed before I did my Line X bedliner

Ray1054

Reaction score
I want to thank you all for the Mopar PDF. I removed the Bed Extender from a 2013 Ram and just installed it in my 2021 Laramie. It was a lot easier with the templates I got from here.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are no dimples on the truck as a template for drilling. With no template, the best alternative is to put the extender together, put painters tape on the stake pocket so you can trace or mark the bracket, place the extender in place and mark the height of where the bracket will be installed. The bracket gets centered on the stake pocket, so all that's needed is the proper height. From there, mark the holes and drill. DONE!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
There are no dimples on the truck as a template for drilling. With no template, the best alternative is to put the extender together, put painters tape on the stake pocket so you can trace or mark the bracket, place the extender in place and mark the height of where the bracket will be installed. The bracket gets centered on the stake pocket, so all that's needed is the proper height. From there, mark the holes and drill. DONE!
wow no dimples
getting cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread