5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modifying the Base 6 to the Alpine 9 ---

FM45

Reaction score
Some members have asked if this mod was even remotely possible, the answer is 'YES' .... dooable and DONE (mostly)...
Other than mounting the 3.5's in the rear headliner, my Bighorn is 95% complete.
Many members have ditched their Alpine 9 and since upgraded to bigger and better -- well this is a chance for those members to make some of their inve$$tment back by posting in the Buy/Sell area... kind of a win-win....
The PDF posted is approx. 90% complete but most should be able to follow it without issues... I hope for find time within the next few days to re-post the polished edition... Any Questions, I'm listening...

-=FM45=-

Attachments

• Base 6 to Apline 9 Mod.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 236

Redfour5

Reaction score
Some members have asked if this mod was even remotely possible, the answer is 'YES' .... dooable and DONE (mostly)...
Other than mounting the 3.5's in the rear headliner, my Bighorn is 95% complete.
Many members have ditched their Alpine 9 and since upgraded to bigger and better -- well this is a chance for those members to make some of their inve$$tment back by posting in the Buy/Sell area... kind of a win-win....
The PDF posted is approx. 90% complete but most should be able to follow it without issues... I hope for find time within the next few days to re-post the polished edition... Any Questions, I'm listening...

-=FM45=-
I had the OEM six in the 2015 and it actually had pretty decent sound. The Alpine 9 is awesome. I'm hearing some people say the Harmon Kardon 19 isn't worth it vs the Alpine 9...in general... Of course it is all subjective... I frankly love the Alpine 9.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the OEM six in the 2015 and it actually had pretty decent sound. The Alpine 9 is awesome. I'm hearing some people say the Harmon Kardon 19 isn't worth it vs the Alpine 9...in general... Of course it is all subjective... I frankly love the Alpine 9.
I have the Alpine and I find it to be the best OEM system I've owned.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
I’m wondering if changing these settings provide a better signal to my LC7i. The signal provided by the base 6 speaker system lacks low frequencies and clips/distorts after volume 25.

TravisH

Reaction score
Are the rear door speakers untouched then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FM45

Reaction score
The base 6 w/anc has the same rear door speakers as the alpine 9... but always double check your install.
I am approx two months into this mod and I am enjoying this upgrade, even without the rear 3.5 roof speakers-yet to install...
All is working as intended, ANC, Sub, center and surround --- well worth it if you like the clean factory look...

Here is a bonus -- I got 2 brand new center dash speaker grills.. one is Tan/Beige and the other 'NOT' black but Dark Grey/Indigo -- I will offer these grills to any member looking to upgrade their system -- FREE!!
Just give me a pm and we'll go from there ---

center grlls.jpg

-=FM45=-

TravisH

Reaction score
The base 6 w/anc has the same rear door speakers as the alpine 9... but always double check your install.
I am approx two months into this mod and I am enjoying this upgrade, even without the rear 3.5 roof speakers-yet to install...
All is working as intended, ANC, Sub, center and surround --- well worth it if you like the clean factory look...

Here is a bonus -- I got 2 brand new center dash speaker grills.. one is Tan/Beige and the other 'NOT' black but Dark Grey/Indigo -- I will offer these grills to any member looking to upgrade their system -- FREE!!
Just give me a pm and we'll go from there ---

View attachment 106340

-=FM45=-
I would definitely take the dark one if it matches my dash. How would I go about finding out?

FM45

Reaction score
--- I believe there is only 3 oem colors, Beige, Indigo and or Black.. check your window sticker or your build sheet thru your Vin... this piece is needed for the center channel ...

-=FM45=-

TravisH

Reaction score
--- I believe there is only 3 oem colors, Beige, Indigo and or Black.. check your window sticker or your build sheet thru your Vin... this piece is needed for the center channel ...

-=FM45=-

I checked out the build sheet and don’t see anything about colors. My window stick is in French/Canadian and from what I could translate it says Interior: Black with Black Seats.

Last edited:

FM45

Reaction score
@T --- You got Black interior... You can use the Indigo, it's close in color -- For the cost of these things, I personally would go with the exact color--

-=FM45=-

TravisH

Reaction score
Just completed the majority of my base 6 to Alpine upgrade. I still have to get a sub. I don’t plan on doing the rear two in the headliner.

You were correct with the rear doors being the same as the alpine system. 05064378AB.

I also used the PAC APH-CH03. I didn’t want to cut any factory wires. I de-pinned the factory connector and pinned them into the unused white connector from the PAC kit to make an adapter. I added pics.

The wiring for the front dash speakers went really smooth. Some people said the passenger was a pita but I had no problem. I started from the top and hugged the outside edge and the wire fell right down. See pics.

I put infinity’s in the dash instead of oem. I replaced the front door speakers with the 05064378AB. What was in there was 52851560AA. They look the same. I will check the resistance.

It sounds decent. One thing is the front door signals seem to be low frequencies like a sub and not full range or mid/low. The rears seem to be full range. I’ll see if I can figure out the cutoff with an RTA. It seems odd. Im definitely using the front signals out of the amp.
5d8a19422ef1c7211f75a54cfda0aeb9.jpg
187fa6a0a8557d1b7dd33b92a92f9dc6.jpg

5d8a19422ef1c7211f75a54cfda0aeb9.jpg

f91693c657979facb501b4063b8e6e83.jpg

719c8ed8d9e153f18dac204841c0fc4f.jpg

d77868acaa4f67cc09ed04723c302c6e.jpg

1f786a26c5ac1fc94e29ca9ab916bfb6.jpg

b3794f6a7a3a2d1d13cb66621dcccb65.jpg

6bc29f4a9695613d929adbddb6af138a.jpg

Last edited:

FM45

Reaction score
Nice Job Trav... after the settings change you do loose the full range of the front doors.. again, only the dash and sub gets amplified. When you are shopping for the rear sub, you got to use the Alpine ver... triple coil. Once you add it, the system does wake up a bit... Like you stated, it does sound well for an OEM system.. Thanks for the pics...

-=FM45=-

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
What settings because mine clips at volume 25 also
He mentions changing the EQ curve fron the base system to the alpine system using the alfaobd software. I’m just wondering how much that impacts the clip point or sound. I currently have purchased the obd cable and alfaobd just waiting to get time to tinker with it and figure it out. I will update once I do and will try to capture pictures comparing the eq curve using an RTA.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
What settings because mine clips at volume 25 also
Ok so I had some time today to play with alfaobd. I followed the OP steps and changed the setting he mentioned. After this I was unable to turn the volume up or down using the dial. I’m guessing this is because the volume is controlled by the amp in the Alpine system. So I reset the setting to the original ones and went back in and only changed the ecuconfig eq curve and it I’m glad to say I now can turn the volume up to 38 without clipping. Also got more of a flat response when checking with an RTA.

KMach

Reaction score
Ok so I had some time today to play with alfaobd. I followed the OP steps and changed the setting he mentioned. After this I was unable to turn the volume up or down using the dial. I’m guessing this is because the volume is controlled by the amp in the Alpine system. So I reset the setting to the original ones and went back in and only changed the ecuconfig eq curve and it I’m glad to say I now can turn the volume up to 38 without clipping. Also got more of a flat response when checking with an RTA.
Not to hijack a thread… but are you still using the base 6 and changing these settings helped the sound quality of the base 6? As everyone else I lose all power and started to clip over 25-27.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
Not to hijack a thread… but are you still using the base 6 and changing these settings helped the sound quality of the base 6? As everyone else I lose all power and started to clip over 25-27.

My truck came with the base 6 audio system and after adding a LC7i for the signal to feed my four channel and a mono amp that power my new door speakers and subs. I had the same issue you are describing where my signal clipped at volume 25. After I followed the instructions from this post using AlfaOBD to changed the ECUConfig EQ Curve my signal no longer clipped even when turning all the way to 38. In addition this gave me more lower bass notes that the regular curve did not have. I verified what I was hearing with both a oscilloscope and an RTA while retuning my system.

TravisH

Reaction score
Not sure if this is related but I just recently started having problems were the music plays for three seconds, cuts out for a second, place for three seconds, cut out for a second and repeats. This only happens when the truck is running. If I push the start button to turn the truck off the radio works fine. Again I’m not sure if this has anything to do with the upgrade because it was working fine for a few months. I’m just not sure what happened.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
Not sure if this is related but I just recently started having problems were the music plays for three seconds, cuts out for a second, place for three seconds, cut out for a second and repeats. This only happens when the truck is running. If I push the start button to turn the truck off the radio works fine. Again I’m not sure if this has anything to do with the upgrade because it was working fine for a few months. I’m just not sure what happened.

Sounds like your system is shorting out somewhere or getting a faulty ground. Double/triple check your connections and do an impedance test on your grounds. Also if your running an aftermarket amp try the audio control LGDs either green or blue. Most people will tell you they are not required which is true but you get a cleaner signal when you use them from my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread