5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Midsize vs Fullsize Towing Threshold?

Jerome10

Reaction score
I'm looking for a truck to pull a tandem axle 6x10 or 6x12 trailer. Likely 4000-5000lbs but maximum trailer is 7000 (I doubt I will EVER see that weight). This will be multiple days a week, not just a few times a year or anything.

I had decided on a RAM but rented the shortest overall model the other week (quad cab long bed) and have garage issues. And I want a crew cab short bed, which I think is 3-4" longer than the rental I had. 1) I will need power folding side mirrors, which is solvable but 2) I'd have to back into my garage. Lip at front end of the garage and pulling front wheels up to the lip the rear bumper will get hit by the garage door. But I think if I back in, put the longer rear overhang over the lip in the garage, then I can fit. But needless to say its very tight and not easy to maneuver.

So now I'm wondering if I can make a midsize work. Still tow the trailer safely and comfortably but I can easily fit in my garage? I don't have dogs or kids or anything I need to haul so interior room on full size is nice but I don't particularly need it. I do still want a crew cab though for secure storage etc. Ranger, Gladiator Max Tow, or the new GM twins with the 2.7T all seem more than sufficient on towing and payload and could work.

Ignoring interior space, ride quality, all that stuff and only focusing on towing ability, ease of towing, safety etc... When do you NEED a full size vs a midsize?

For example:
Ford Ranger - Towing capacity 7500lbs
Ford F150 - Towing capacity 7700lbs (2.7 Ecoboost, 4x4, crew cab, short bed, 3.55 rear end)
RAM - Towing Capacity 7460lbs (3.6L V6, 4x4 crew cab, short bed, 3.55 rear end)

Lets assume that I am within all payload limits, all the trucks have trailer brake controllers, I am within GCWR on all the trucks.... Their towing capacities are all within spitting distance. why would I choose a F150 or RAM over the Ranger? Again, ignoring the better room in the Ram and F150, the nicer rides, etc. Just what are the towing benefits of fullsize or midsize?

Are there other considerations such as the midsizers will require a weight distribution hitch but fullsize wont?

Really would like to get the fullsize but the garage thing is really a drawback. I'd hate to park an expensive truck outside.... plus its cold as H here in winter and freezing trucks in the AM that you gotta brush snow off of is not something I wish to do if I have a relatively warm garage available. But I just don't know if I get a midsize am I making a serious mistake that will cost me because I will have to switch to a fullsize?

Last edited:

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You really need to have specific trucks to compare so you know the payload and gcvwr for the truck. If you were towing occasionally and almost never over 5k a midsize might be o.k. but since you say everyday towing and up to 7k you'll likley be much happier in a half ton. If you want 4x4 and higher than base trim you may need the 1500 for the payload.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pulled my 3800lb camper a couple times a month for two years with a 2019 crew cab, V6, 4wd Frontier. It did fine other than being a sail. Truck pulled a heavier utility trailer like you're describing much better.

I don't NEED a full size, but the family is much more comfortable inside and towing is just easier. Don't really use my WDH anymore. If you aren't towing 7000lbs often or far, I think you could get by with a midsize. As much as I love my Ram I truly miss the dexterity of my Frontier.

20210326_144055.jpg

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’d say besides engine power since they all have similar power, the half ton Ram *should* have beefier components - the frame should be stronger, tie rods stronger, larger axles, stronger trans, etc. Also, the Ram definitely has larger brakes and swaybars that should help control the load much better. Plus having the tow vehicle closer in weight to the trailer is typically a good thing - you don’t want the trailer so heavy and the truck’s brakes so small that it just wants to push the truck. Ultimately I think all the same reasons people recommend getting an HD truck vs a 1500 apply to the conversation of 1500 vs midsize. I know for certain I would get the 1500 in your case👍🏼 And to add to that, if getting a Hemi isn’t much more money you’ll have a wayyy easier time selling it and it’ll keep better resale value in the future and it’ll provide you with an even better towing experience.

Wire4money

Reaction score
I started out with a Tacoma. It struggled with a 4K lb travel trailer, and a 21 gallon tank at 10 mpg sucked. Got a Ram Hemi and it is night and day.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you're towing 5000 lbs regularly, then you're probably looking at 600-700 lbs of tongue weight. And as much as 1000 lbs of tongue weight if your trailer is fully loaded.
Add yourself (as additional payload), along with any other passengers or cargo that will be in the truck. That will be your total payload. In your case, it's probably 1000 lbs (on the light end) to as much as 1500 lbs (on the heavy end).

You need to be in a full-size pickup. Most Ram 1500s have an available payload of 1000-1500 lbs. My old Tacoma, on the other hand, had a max payload of 950 lbs.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ignore the comments referring to Tacoma. Tacoma is objectively the worst truck in that entire segment in every category.

If you look at Ranger, Gladiator, etc. you'll find that midsize has the same payload as full size. In fact, the last two midsize trucks I owned had MORE payload rating on the door jamb placard than most of our Ram 1500s.

And I can honestly say that over the last several years I’ve done a lot of towing with the Jeep Gladiator, Nissan Frontier, etc. as well as Ram 1500, Ford F-150, etc. and ALL of them feel exactly the same cruising down the road with a 6,000 lb. enclosed trailer behind me. Same MPG. Same handling characteristics. Same ride quality. Trailer has it’s own brakes so that’s a moot point. It really is the same experience between midsize and fullsize.

The one big difference is second row space. The fullsize trucks have a LOT more space in the back seat area and sometimes I like to throw gear or people back there.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I just traded my 22 Gladiator max tow that I was using to pull our 26' travel trailer with that weighed 5,500 lbs for a 21 1500 Big Horn with the 3.92 gears. Even though the max tow has 4.10 gears, the 3.6 still worked hard on the hills. The Ram is just a more comfortable truck all around. 20220505_143639.jpg 20221112_123423.jpg

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
You should look at a Dodge Durango. The new ones tow over 8000#. I used a 2004 Hemi Durango 4wd with 3.92 gears to tow this 24’ 7,000# enclosed car trailer for 4 years prior to purchasing a 2011 Hemi Ram w/3.92. That 2004 Durango was rated 8,700# towing with full tow package, an Excellent tow vehicle, and a better daily driver than the Ram 1500 for parking. If I didn’t need the Ram truck bed today, I go back to the Durango for sure. This new 2022 Ram is really nice though.

bmFvUaO.jpg

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I just traded my 22 Gladiator max tow that I was using to pull our 26' travel trailer with that weighed 5,500 lbs for a 21 1500 Big Horn with the 3.92 gears. Even though the max tow has 4.10 gears, the 3.6 still worked hard on the hills. The Ram is just a more comfortable truck all around. View attachment 147942 View attachment 147943
The OP should take your advice seriously since he was wanting the same 3.6 v6 and only 3.55 gears in a heavier truck. If the gladiator struggles with 4.10 gears I sure wouldn’t want the same setup with 3.55s!

kzielu

Reaction score
The OP should take your advice seriously since he was wanting the same 3.6 v6 and only 3.55 gears in a heavier truck. If the gladiator struggles with 4.10 gears I sure wouldn’t want the same setup with 3.55s!
Is it the same though ? Transmission gearing has to be the same as well (which it maybe is - don't know Gladiators) for it be exactly the same gearing (and also - same tire size).

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also depends on what you're towing. Frontal area is the killer on a midsize. The max trailer frontal area for the Frontier was about the cross section of the truck. If you're not towing a camper or enclosed trailer that will help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread