5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT Bed Step Installed - Missing A Mounting Hole For Bolt (that was in the instructions)...

RSConsulting

Reaction score
First off - sorry no pics (will snap some later).

So - at long last - my MFT step finally arrived.

Part Number: 82216265AB - 2019 1500 Limited.

This has obviously gone through a number of revisions.

I went to a friends shop - just because I didn't feel like laying on my back to do the install (which could have been done easily in "Off Road 2" raised suspension - but call me lazy).

Came with 3 bolts and instructions. Remove one bolt from left side - position step - install 2 bolts on left side (replacing the one removed, plus an additional one). Torqued everything down to 125ftlbs.

Instructions call for a 3rd bolt to be installed on the r/h (hitch receiver) side - but LO AND BEHOLD - NO HOLE FOR THE BOLT.

In the esteemed option of my buddy the shop owner (and myself) the two bolts on one side, should be MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to hold this thing in place.

Is there a THIRD BOLT HOLE on the 20/21's?

It positions correctly - looks a little low - doesn't come up almost flush to the bumper - but it's still higher (ground clearance-wise) than the lowest part of the suspension (so it should hit anything when retracted). Doesn't hit anything on the way up or down (unlike complaints on previous generations of step that hit the exhaust pipe or bumper). And clears the wide Weathertech Hitch Step I have in there (which gives me TWO STEPS into the bed now).

I'll post some pics next time I get out to the truck.

Just curious if anyone else ran across the "missing hole thing". There's been a few revisions to the "Trailer Hitch Bracket" that this thing mounts to - so newer part might have the 3rd hole.

Hmmmmm...

Rick

Limited38

Reaction score
I just drilled a new hole & installed the removed bolt in that position.

Attachments

• 3rd hole_resize.jpg
    3rd hole_resize.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 85

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I just drilled a new hole & installed the removed bolt in that position.
Thanks for the response. Yeah - that's one way to do it - not really the route I wanted to take.

My kit came with 3 bolts - instructions said to trash the one that was removed on the outside.

Out of curiosity - did you remove the hitch assembly or drilled freehand while it was still on the truck?

This thing mounts pretty damn solid from just the one side - and the way that hitch assembly is - I don't see "deforming" that part. For as rarely as I'm all the way up in the bed (this is not a "work WORK truck" - daily driver that replaced an SUV), it's not like I'm going to be using this multiple times a day (or even a month).

Wonder what the dealerships that are installing this are doing? I doubt they're taking the extra time to drill (R&R'ing the hitch or not) that 3rd hole.

Wonder if the '21 installed hitch bars COME WITH the 3rd whole?

Kind of numb-nutted to make an accessory that requires drilling, and fail to mention it in the installation.

hitchbar.jpg

Thanks again for the response...

Rick

Limited38

Reaction score
I just laid it out on the truck & used a rotabroach to drill the hole. I think it would be plenty stout without the bolt ...but since I was there I went ahead & drilled the hole. I also retained the Mopar corner step, but that's another story.

Attachments

• 3rd hole layout_resize.jpg
    3rd hole layout_resize.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 83
  • 2020 Limited MFT with both steps_resize.jpg
    2020 Limited MFT with both steps_resize.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 88

jmoody715

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could have both steps. I ordered my mft step. Looks like i will be ordering the corner step also. Tell us the rest of the story please.

Limited38

Reaction score
Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. Installed with 3 stainless steel washers as a shim for the offset mounting (due to the corner step bracket). I have a tracing of the finished machined relief (I just have to find it)

Attachments

• 1 - Machining the Flange_resize.jpg
    1 - Machining the Flange_resize.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2 - Flange Relief - Complete_resize.jpg
    2 - Flange Relief - Complete_resize.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 3 - Corner Step Flange - Trim_resize.jpg
    3 - Corner Step Flange - Trim_resize.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 4 - Corner Step Flange - Trim Complete_resize.jpg
    4 - Corner Step Flange - Trim Complete_resize.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 5 - 3rd hole layout_resize.jpg
    5 - 3rd hole layout_resize.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 63
  • 6 - 3rd hole_resize.jpg
    6 - 3rd hole_resize.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 7 - Shim - Washer_resize.jpg
    7 - Shim - Washer_resize.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 2020 Limited MFT with both steps_resize.jpg
    2020 Limited MFT with both steps_resize.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 73

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. Installed with 3 stainless steel washers as a shim for the offset mounting (due to the corner step bracket). I have a tracing of the finished machined relief (I just have to find it)

Ahhh - so yours was the "A" version (versus mine, the AB revision). And it still called for the 3rd hole - which means it assumed the hitch mount was going to have it PRIOR TO the '21 models. And the revisions in the AB version may also have been done to accommodate the corner step also. Though it seems, with MOPAR, it's ANYONES GUESS...

Yeah - you went way more out of your way than I would (have to move all the laundry to get to my mill - LOL - though I do have access to a neighbors machine shop). Thanks for all the pics.

I'm pretty satisfied that my occasional use, with only the two bolts isn't going to compromise the structural integrity of the bumper mount. I'm just surprised that, even though this is the 3rd (or maybe 4th) iteration of the step to be released - there wouldn't be anything to denote that most hitch mounts (both trailer or bumper) are not going to have that hole from the factory.

And one can be reasonably sure the dealers aren't going to take the time during a step install (likely .5 hours book time) to drill the 3rd hole (or even inform the owner that it exists or is called for).

IMG_6595.jpg IMG_6594.jpg

I'm happy with my outcome (though the price and the wait left something to be desired). Doesn't hit anything on the way up or down - and allows me to keep my hitch-step (and idiot bumper) in place.

Thanks again for the response & pics...

Rick

Last edited:

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could have both steps. I ordered my mft step. Looks like i will be ordering the corner step also. Tell us the rest of the story please.

Hopefully Limited38 will come back and respond - but from his comments above - it appears he had to make some modifications to the MFT step and where it mounts - to accommodate the corner step.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread