5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? Mechanical differences between 4th and 5th Gen Ram 1500?

drsubie

Reaction score
Hi, relatively new owner here (< 2 wks) of a Silver Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 short bed, and I have to say, so far this truck has not disappointed me. I went from a modded out and mildly lifted '13 F150 FX4 Screw ecoboost (King off road coilovers, FMIC, Air raid intake, custom 5 star tune) that developed the ecoboost timing chain slap. After <40k miles on it, I just wasn't sold on turbos for a truck, especially not for the type of driving I mainly do (ultra short in-city).

That said, I've been looking at potential light upgrades for this Ram, and with the truck being so new, there aren't many parts that are referenced to work on it.

So what are the mechanical differences between the 5th and say 4th gen in terms of suspension, engine, exhaust? I realize the 5.7L hemi has been around forever, but aside from introducing e-torque (which I don't have), would 4th gen or even '19 Ram 1500 classic engine stuff work?

And has the infamous "hemi tick" due to broken exhaust manifold bolts been remedied in this generation truck?

Anyone found any lightly upgraded off-road/heavier duty shocks (like Bilsteins) that would work w/ these trucks w/ the air suspension? I'm not too interested in lifting, but would like to firm up the ride and improve handling some... also debating on whether to do the Hellwig rear sway bar and endlinks...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, relatively new owner here (< 2 wks) of a Silver Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 short bed, and I have to say, so far this truck has not disappointed me. I went from a modded out and mildly lifted '13 F150 FX4 Screw ecoboost (King off road coilovers, FMIC, Air raid intake, custom 5 star tune) that developed the ecoboost timing chain slap. After <40k miles on it, I just wasn't sold on turbos for a truck, especially not for the type of driving I mainly do (ultra short in-city).

That said, I've been looking at potential light upgrades for this Ram, and with the truck being so new, there aren't many parts that are referenced to work on it.

So what are the mechanical differences between the 5th and say 4th gen in terms of suspension, engine, exhaust? I realize the 5.7L hemi has been around forever, but aside from introducing e-torque (which I don't have), would 4th gen or even '19 Ram 1500 classic engine stuff work?

And has the infamous "hemi tick" due to broken exhaust manifold bolts been remedied in this generation truck?

Anyone found any lightly upgraded off-road/heavier duty shocks (like Bilsteins) that would work w/ these trucks w/ the air suspension? I'm not too interested in lifting, but would like to firm up the ride and improve handling some... also debating on whether to do the Hellwig rear sway bar and endlinks...

Except perhaps for the Hemi engine and rear axles, there is not one assembly or component that is the same from the 4th gen Rams.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003148 miles.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I agree not a warm over, like some other major truck manufactuers lol, a complete redo. as Dusty said
Except perhaps for the Hemi engine and rear axles, there is not one assembly or component that is the same from the 4th gen Rams.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did a little research. There are two differences in the engine and transmission.

The 5.7 Hemi has a different camshaft than last year. I cannot speak to the actual difference, but I suspect it's timing/lift/overlap, etc.

The 2019 has a new eight speed transmission designation: the 8HP75. Previous years used a 8HP70. The 8HP75 is a stronger unit utilizing the same basic architecture. It looks like the clutches/friction plates and input/output shafts are different, among other changes.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003153 miles.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bump. Would have thought there’d be a bit more info out there now as to the OP’s querie. Anyone care to comment on the cam, trans or other changes mechanically?

OMG I just YT’d the timing chain issue with the early 11-14 3.5 Ecoboost engines. OMG what a mess! Makes for good reading/watching.
Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost Rattle Upon Start Up- Timing Chain S

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread