5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maximum towing capacity

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with a 3.21 gear ratio. I’m looking at buying a camper that weighs about 7700 lbs. the camper itself is 33.4 ft long with a total length of 37ft. Just wondering if my truck is gonna have any issues pulling it. Even though I’m pretty close to be maxed out on weight. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with a 3.21 gear ratio. I’m looking at buying a camper that weighs about 7700 lbs. the camper itself is 33.4 ft long with a total length of 37ft. Just wondering if my truck is gonna have any issues pulling it. Even though I’m pretty close to be maxed out on weight. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

go here

put in your vin

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with a 3.21 gear ratio. I’m looking at buying a camper that weighs about 7700 lbs. the camper itself is 33.4 ft long with a total length of 37ft. Just wondering if my truck is gonna have any issues pulling it.

Without knowing your payload I can still tell you it’s too long and too heavy.

Get a smaller camper or a bigger truck.

U

User_33319

The truck will pull it but you will not like how it behaves in cross winds and since you will likely be over your allowed payload, if you are ever in an accident and get sued you likely will not be owning your truck, house, etc. Not trying to be harsh but you need to better understand what your loaded trailer will actually weigh and how much tongue weight the trailer will place on your truck. Most trucks are limited by payload long before you reach the max trailer weight limit. My 2022 Ram 1500 Lonestar CC 4x4 (5.7, etorque, 3.92) has a payload of 1694 lbs. and a max trailer wt. of 11594 lbs. With this set up I am looking for a travel trailer under a total length of 30' and under a max wt. (includes any water and gear stowed in the trailer) of 8000 to 8500 lbs. I want to be able to comfortably and safely pull my trailer, no white knuckle experiences. I would seriously recommend you buy a shorter and lighter travel trailer.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
Too much camper for the truck. I pull a 2800BH that's juts a bit smaller than yours, and I have the 3.92 gears. i wouldn't want to go any bigger.

myles

Reaction score
You might have a rough time, I had a 26' (30' with tongue) gearbox toyhauler that weights about 6800 dry and it was kinda sketchy driving around and would bottom out my suspension. Even with airlift air bags it would still sag. I think a major factor is where the axles are on the trailer and how much tongue weight is on the truck. When it was windy it would blow my truck all over the road, the last time I came back from Glamis it was windy and I was white knuckle the whole way home going 50mph. Sold the trailer after that lol. The motor on your truck will pull the trailer no problem but the suspension probably cant keep up.

If you decide to go for it, I highly recommend air bags to help out the coil springs, a good anti sway hitch, and 10 ply tires.

Reaction score
The truck will pull it but you will not like how it behaves in cross winds and since you will likely be over your allowed payload, if you are ever in an accident and get sued you likely will not be owning your truck, house, etc. Not trying to be harsh but you need to better understand what your loaded trailer will actually weigh and how much tongue weight the trailer will place on your truck. Most trucks are limited by payload long before you reach the max trailer weight limit. My 2022 Ram 1500 Lonestar CC 4x4 (5.7, etorque, 3.92) has a payload of 1694 lbs. and a max trailer wt. of 11594 lbs. With this set up I am looking for a travel trailer under a total length of 30' and under a max wt. (includes any water and gear stowed in the trailer) of 8000 to 8500 lbs. I want to be able to comfortably and safely pull my trailer, no white knuckle experiences. I would seriously recommend you buy a shorter and lighter travel trailer.

I Completely get what ya mean. With a maximum towing of 8240 lbs an with a 3.21 gears on my 2019 Ram 1500 crew. I kinda figured it would have a tough time pulling it home dry. I just didn’t know how bad it was gonna be. The camper weighed 7800 lbs dry. And 9400 loaded. But one person said the engine power will pull it no problem, and which he was right. The problem was it wouldn’t shift out of 5th gear the whole way home and couldn’t get over 50 mph. But I’m wondering if that was because of the 25 mph cross wind, and 3.21 gears. That was even with weight distribution, and sway bar hitch. But the problem is solved I just ordered a 2022 Ram bighorn 2500 night edition with a 6.4 liter hemi. I shouldn’t have any problems pulling her now. Thanks everyone for there input. It was greatly appreciated

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
went from Boston to CO & back last year pulling a 24 foot hybrid travel trailer, ( 28 foot with end beds opened up), with 3.21 gears. Camper was around 4000# dry, (Jayco Featherlite), with 350# tongue weight. This set up towed VERY nice,(with weight dist, bars also). BUT... I wouldn't go near what you want to do, with my truck. Too much weight and length. Wind will be a nightmare, stopping will be a nightmare, gas mileage will be a nightmare, YOU will be a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread