5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matching up tint

BigCB

Reaction score
I have a 2020 night edition big horn and yesterday I got my two front windows tinted at 20%. From the outside the front looks a little darker than the back (which I hate) but nothing to noticeable. On the inside I can see a big difference with the front being darker. Does anyone know what percent would get a perfect match or is there a specific tint to get? Not really familiar with tints

Brockb10

Reaction score
I have a 2020 night edition big horn and yesterday I got my two front windows tinted at 20%. From the outside the front looks a little darker than the back (which I hate) but nothing to noticeable. On the inside I can see a big difference with the front being darker. Does anyone know what percent would get a perfect match or is there a specific tint to get? Not really familiar with tints

Most likely 20-30% on the front would match on the exterior to the rear windows with the security tinted glass (from my experience)

Note - You will always see a discrepancy in the interior unless you go ahead and get the rear windows tinted with a film as well, then it’ll be less noticeable. They come from the factory typically with a Dyed glass. If it was me, I’d probably just go back and get the rear tinted 20% too. It’ll match up on both the interior and exterior better as well.

I have 15% on the front two and 5% on all the rear windows. I’ve had that same setup on the past 2 cars so visibility isn’t an issue since I’m used to it. I will say that there will be a transition period of a few days for your eyes to get used to it at night but you shouldn’t have any issue.

Last edited:

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I thought the general consensus was 18%-20% on the fronts would match the backs, if anything it would be a little lighter in the front than the back since you get more light transfer from the windshield.

My 2014 I went with 20% on the front and that is how it looked to me. I havent got around to getting my 2019 tinted yet, but my plan was to go with something similar.

Maybe they went with something darker than 20% and assumed you wouldnt notice the difference or its something specific to the tint. Post pics if you can.

Brockb10

Reaction score
I thought the general consensus was 18%-20% on the fronts would match the backs, if anything it would be a little lighter in the front than the back since you get more light transfer from the windshield.

My 2014 I went with 20% on the front and that is how it looked to me. I havent got around to getting my 2019 tinted yet, but my plan was to go with something similar.

Maybe they went with something darker than 20% and assumed you wouldnt notice the difference or its something specific to the tint. Post pics if you can.

On my Charger 30% matched and on my grand Cherokee 20% matched so I think it’s hit or miss.

With those cars I got sick of the lighter rear inside the car so switched to 5% in the back and 15 in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UKreject

Reaction score
Check your state laws for window tint percentages allowed. e.g. Wisconsin allows 35% on rear and rear side windows. But 50% on front side windows. On windshield no restriction except to AS1 line.

BigCB

Reaction score
Most likely 20-30% on the front would match on the exterior to the rear windows with the security tinted glass (from my experience)

Note - You will always see a discrepancy in the interior unless you go ahead and get the rear windows tinted with a film as well, then it’ll be less noticeable. They come from the factory typically with a Dyed glass. If it was me, I’d probably just go back and get the rear tinted 20% too. It’ll match up on both the interior and exterior better as well.

I have 15% on the front two and 5% on all the rear windows. I’ve had that same setup on the past 2 cars so visibility isn’t an issue since I’m used to it. I will say that there will be a transition period of a few days for your eyes to get used to it at night but you shouldn’t have any issue.
Thanks, I think that’s what I’m going to do. Just go back and get the backs done

Mitchrob85

Reaction score

If you add 15% tint to the factory "tinted" windows in the rear, you will end up with a noticeable difference as the rear windows are already around 18-20% from the factory ...if you add 15-20% on top, you will end up much darker than anticipated. I went with 20% Llumar on my fronts in my Durango and it is still a little imperfect as the backs are 18%. I honestly feel it comes down to brand. My buddy has a 2020 Chevy 1500 RST and had his front windows done at 20% with suntek film, and yet sitting inside or looking at it from the outside, you wouldn't know it because it looks perfectly matched. I would try suntek (20%). I plan on going this route/brand on my next vehicle as I also hate the windows not being a perfect match.

Mother

Reaction score
I went with 15% on the fronts and feel like it matches pretty well. It's always going to be hard to tell because you have more light coming in the front from the windshield.

20200425_114414.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd venture to guess that the factory dyed glass can vary quite a bit. The guy who tinted my driver and passenger front windows said the rears were very close to the 25% allowed in my state. The tint he used was slightly darker than that, he estimated about 22%. The end result was exactly what I wanted. I'd post a pic but right now my truck is at home in the garage and I'm at work.

Nibis

Reaction score
I did 15% up front, matches perfect, but when looking out from inside, the fronts are a little darker

GRB60

Reaction score
I had my fronts done today with 3M 30%. It is clearly not as dark as the rear but it's the look I was going for. The rears are just the factory tint.
sorry for the lousy pic, but it's raining. IMG_20200506_183755.jpg

Krootz

Reaction score
Damn, I was hoping 30% would match the rear tint. I’m allowed 50% by Ohio law and didn’t want to go into the 20% range. Oh well, looks way better than stock OP. Thanks for posting

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did 15% Ceramic and feel like it matches the rear pretty well. I'm going back at a later date to do the rear.

B95ECE4B-9835-499A-9059-195E30EBE6D2.jpeg

1AB0EA16-2819-444B-A1D5-D471EE4D079B.jpeg

Unfortunately I don't have a direct side shot.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
The previous owner of my 2019 must have picked a good product and a quality company as mine matches perfectly with the rest of the truck. It was a bank repo so calling him and asking who and what they used probably wouldn’t go well...

Krootz

Reaction score
Haha. Bet you got a steal though...and with matching tint.

Wh0urdady2

Reaction score
Most I’m allowed will be 30% on the front…still want to get the ceramic on back and rear, but might be overkill doing 30 on it as well…probably need to be pretty light if I just want the uv protection huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/