5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map light switches not working

XmikeX

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so swapped my map bulbs for some led and not sure if I messed up. When I took the bezel off and pulled the part that holds the bulbs the switch for “off, auto, on” popped off too. When I looked it seemed like it might of been molded in the glass along with the little metal diode but I’m not sure. Either way I popped it back in and now the toggle switch doesn’t work. Luckily the lights go on when I open the door and off when I lock the truck but besides that the switch does nothing and I don’t believe the on/off switches work, going to double check in a little.

the research I’ve done seems to point to either bad/broken map light switch, bad fuse, or badly seated cable connection. I’m going to pull it back down and try reseating the cables. I’m worried that I broke the toggle switch since it completely popped off.

anyone have this issue or know if I in fact did break the toggle switch.

-mike

XmikeX

Reaction score
Quick inspection and the on/off switches work but only when the car is running or in accessory mode. I’m not sure if they worked when the truck was completely off but normally if I remember correctly those lights work regardless of the “key” position. The toggle switch still doesn’t work so I think I broke it, which sucks. The rear window button works too.

Recap: toggle switch doesn’t work regardless if truck is on or not. Map lights on/off push button only works while accessory mode is on or truck is running. When truck is off push buttons will not turn on map lights.

going to pull the console down tomorrow and disconnect then reconnect the cables. Fingers crossed it fixes it but since all the other buttons work except the toggle that popped out I’m suspecting that I broke it.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
41IlvSN5TFL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:LOL:

XmikeX

Reaction score
All the switches work in my rebel when it is completely off.
Weird all the switches work except the toggle one when the truck is on or in ACC mode, but when the truck is off the push on/off map lights do not come on. Wonder if the toggle completes a circuit or something and since it popped out it messed that up. Luckily it looks like the little circuit board/housing is available separately than the whole console so I don't need to buy the whole thing.

popstatwo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so swapped my map bulbs for some led and not sure if I messed up. When I took the bezel off and pulled the part that holds the bulbs the switch for “off, auto, on” popped off too. When I looked it seemed like it might of been molded in the glass along with the little metal diode but I’m not sure. Either way I popped it back in and now the toggle switch doesn’t work. Luckily the lights go on when I open the door and off when I lock the truck but besides that the switch does nothing and I don’t believe the on/off switches work, going to double check in a little.

the research I’ve done seems to point to either bad/broken map light switch, bad fuse, or badly seated cable connection. I’m going to pull it back down and try reseating the cables. I’m worried that I broke the toggle switch since it completely popped off.

anyone have this issue or know if I in fact did break the toggle switch.

-mike
If I'm understanding correctly, I had the same issue. Those gold looking connectors that are part of the piece that popped off for you and toggle back and forth need to be bent a tiny bit to make sure there is a good connection. Once I did that it worked again.

XmikeX

Reaction score
If I'm understanding correctly, I had the same issue. Those gold looking connectors that are part of the piece that popped off for you and toggle back and forth need to be bent a tiny bit to make sure there is a good connection. Once I did that it worked again.
Hmmm hopefully that is the issue, I will have to pull it down again and see if that helps. The toggle button seems to rock back and forth a little more freely now but I cant remember how it felt before and might just be my mind thinking something is wrong. worse case scenario it still doesn't work and I'm in the same situation.

The little feet that are part of that piece, do they need to be bent out or in for you?

Thanks for the help!

popstatwo

Reaction score
Hmmm hopefully that is the issue, I will have to pull it down again and see if that helps. The toggle button seems to rock back and forth a little more freely now but I cant remember how it felt before and might just be my mind thinking something is wrong. worse case scenario it still doesn't work and I'm in the same situation.

The little feet that are part of that piece, do they need to be bent out or in for you?

Thanks for the help!
Out a tiny bit. You can squeeze the 2 gold looking pieces with your fingers and that should be enough. There's some grease on there and you don't want to wipe that away. Also, before you put it all back together, leave it hanging and try it to see if it works.

XmikeX

Reaction score
Out a tiny bit. You can squeeze the 2 gold looking pieces with your fingers and that should be enough. There's some grease on there and you don't want to wipe that away. Also, before you put it all back together, leave it hanging and try it to see if it works.
Maybe the grease you were speaking of was what I saw at the bottom. When it first popped off I was looking at it and there was what I thought clear glass with the feet molded into it but maybe it was a glob of it.

"Out a tiny bit. You can squeeze the 2 gold looking pieces with your fingers and that should be enough" so what you are saying is to carefully separate the two feet no pinch them together?

popstatwo

Reaction score
They kind of form a V at the tip. Don't separate them, just carefully pinch them, which will allow them to make a better connection to the other piece. I'm at work til like 5 or so. When I get home I'll try to take it apart and take pics and show you.

XmikeX

Reaction score
They kind of form a V at the tip. Don't separate them, just carefully pinch them, which will allow them to make a better connection to the other piece. I'm at work til like 5 or so. When I get home I'll try to take it apart and take pics and show you.
Does your map lights come on with the on/off buttons when the truck is completely off?

popstatwo

Reaction score
I have attached pics of the 3 (thought there was 2) gold things. Pinch them on the sides like I show in the pic to make more of a point. Doing that, will create more of a connection to the part in the other pic. After I did this everything works like normal. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 7B81F2A2-7C2F-4773-B852-002A8B9EF203.jpeg
    7B81F2A2-7C2F-4773-B852-002A8B9EF203.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19
  • F86B5022-9EF4-4ACC-B2C2-A34538F5D7C5.jpeg
    F86B5022-9EF4-4ACC-B2C2-A34538F5D7C5.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 19

XmikeX

Reaction score
I have attached pics of the 3 (thought there was 2) gold things. Pinch them on the sides like I show in the pic to make more of a point. Doing that, will create more of a connection to the part in the other pic. After I did this everything works like normal. I hope this helps.
You’re the man! Took the console back apart and the gold connectors were bent to **** and smashed down and pushed together. Carefully separated them and straightened them out and it’s working again. The only issue that I am having is the map lights not coming on when the vehicle is off but works any other time. Might have to dive deeper into that.

Thank you for the help!

popstatwo

Reaction score
You’re the man! Took the console back apart and the gold connectors were bent to **** and smashed down and pushed together. Carefully separated them and straightened them out and it’s working again. The only issue that I am having is the map lights not coming on when the vehicle is off but works any other time. Might have to dive deeper into that.

Thank you for the help!
Happy to help. It was a ***** to figure out, but it worked. Hopefully the map lights will start working too.

av8tor86

Reaction score
Had the same issue tonight swapping my bulbs. Spent an hour trying to figure it out, and did. Then I come across this thread. Figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/