5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lug nut question

dktek

Reaction score
I recently changed the lug nuts on my 2022 RAM 1500 to black lug nuts from McGard, chrome lug nuts on black wheels didn't work for me. So I bought a wheel installation kit, part # was 84640. The lug nuts are conical like the factory ones and the size is correct M14 x 1.5. The only difference being that the factory have a conical bulge and a lip on them to keep sockets from hitting the wheel finish is my guess. The new lug nuts torqued down with no issue and the dealership hasn't said anything with recent work being done on it. But just last week their dealerships shop foreman came and told me to remove them and that they are going to damage my factory wheels. He didn't tell me how when I asked, he just showed me a factory lug nut like I had never seen one before and showed me the conical bulge. I contacted McGard and they told me that they are the correct lug nut. They thought what I thought that the McGard ones don't have a lip so a deep impact socket could hit the wheel finish and cause damage that way. I mean I've never used a deep socket myself, but have had aftermarket wheels before and used spline lug nuts. I would assume that the dealership would just use their head and not use a deep socket.

I've attached a screenshot of what the lug nut looks like, the lug nuts from McGard do sit lower in the wheel, but I've felt no issues with the wheels. They have been installed for over a month.

Unless someone can tell me on the forums that has changed their chrome ones out for other aftermarket ones without the conical bulge. I know that Mopar has black lug nuts, but that's roughly $500.00, versus the McGard that are the same quality and half the price.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-22 110823.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-22 110823.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 21

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just use these. They were cheaper and just as effective.
I've never trusted dealers to "use their heads".

20220916_192716.jpg

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would not use the style that you have in your picture. I also replaced my silver factory Lugnuts for equivalent Lugnuts in black, nuts that do have the shoulder like the factory nuts. I am assuming that that shoulder supplies additional support to the wheels when the nuts are torqued to spec's. I am sure if I am incorrect on this assumption that someone will point it out to me, but I haven't had any problem with my wheels or replacement nuts

dktek

Reaction score
I would not use the style that you have in your picture. I also replaced my silver factory Lugnuts for equivalent Lugnuts in black, nuts that do have the shoulder like the factory nuts. I am assuming that that shoulder supplies additional support to the wheels when the nuts are torqued to spec's. I am sure if I am incorrect on this assumption that someone will point it out to me, but I haven't had any problem with my wheels or replacement nuts
The ones that you got, are they the Mopar ones, or from somewhere else, would you be willing to share where you got yours from?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered them off of Amazon. I don't recall what brand, but they fit and look fine.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Gorilla also makes factory stile replacements. The seat area is larger on the factory lugs than what you are showing and that could be the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread