5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lower speed vibrations or duratracs?

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram rebel quad cab. Currently with about 3500 miles. I love my truck. Much more than the 2016 Silverado I had before, that thing was awful lol. About 2 weeks ago I began to notice a faint vibration in my steering wheel and gas pedal when I'm cruising between 35 to 50. The truck didn't seem to do it when new but maybe I just didn't notice. Doesn't seem to be mds related because it seems to vibrate regardless whether eco is on or not. I've searched alot of forums and can't really find an answer. Do any of you other rebel owners seems to "feel the road" in the steering wheel or gas pedal because of the more aggressive tires or do I possibly have a problem? I do have an appointment on Thursday for recall, passenger seat issue and this. I'm just trying to get an idea if I'm being too picky or not.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The aggressive tires hum and probably vibrate a bit for sure. I was told to do a tire rotation often on these tires maybe try that first see if same.

Dan1989

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited and also just starting noticing a vibration in the steering wheel when turning left or right. I don't feel it in the gas pedal and it only last for few seconds but it never did this before. It sounds like a cell phone vibrating in the steering. I am waiting to see if it gets worse, it concerns me with all the steering issues related to the recall that came out a few months ago. I did take it in and had the recall for the steering done. Not sure if its the same issue you are having, I have also looked all over the Internet and can't seem to find any other issues related to this. I have 23,000 miles on mine and have had no previous steering issues.

DivrGuy

Reaction score
I know what you're talking about Josh. I noticed mine started it during a 1000-mile round trip up to the Tennessee mountains. Steering wheel and gas pedal.
I was wondering if all the up/down grades and shifts started it. It's so faint I was trying to figure out if it was my imagination and I just never noticed it before. I think I was over 4k when I noticed. I'm now at about 6500 and haven't noticed it lately, or perhaps I have just gotten used to it. I sometimes consciously feel for it and if it's there, it's not as noticeable. I know this doesn't help diagnose it, but at least it's validation that you're not alone with it.

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited and also just starting noticing a vibration in the steering wheel when turning left or right. I don't feel it in the gas pedal and it only last for few seconds but it never did this before. It sounds like a cell phone vibrating in the steering. I am waiting to see if it gets worse, it concerns me with all the steering issues related to the recall that came out a few months ago. I did take it in and had the recall for the steering done. Not sure if its the same issue you are having, I have also looked all over the Internet and can't seem to find any other issues related to this. I have 23,000 miles on mine and have had no previous steering issues.
I think I've read something about that before. They might need to replace your steering rack. Doesn't hurt to take in and get it checked out. My problem is more constant at lower speeds. I just feel the road way too much in the steering wheel and the gas pedal almost makes your leg numb if you're cruising at 40 for too long.

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
I know what you're talking about Josh. I noticed mine started it during a 1000-mile round trip up to the Tennessee mountains. Steering wheel and gas pedal.
I was wondering if all the up/down grades and shifts started it. It's so faint I was trying to figure out if it was my imagination and I just never noticed it before. I think I was over 4k when I noticed. I'm now at about 6500 and haven't noticed it lately, or perhaps I have just gotten used to it. I sometimes consciously feel for it and if it's there, it's not as noticeable. I know this doesn't help diagnose it, but at least it's validation that you're not alone with it.
Thanks man. I feel less like a "vehicle hypochondriac" now. The Silverado I had before had the Chevy shake problem and a bunch of other issues so it kind of programmed me to second guess everything the new truck is doing. I think it may very well be the offroad tires. I just wanted to hear it from a few other rebel owners.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram rebel quad cab. Currently with about 3500 miles. I love my truck. Much more than the 2016 Silverado I had before, that thing was awful lol. About 2 weeks ago I began to notice a faint vibration in my steering wheel and gas pedal when I'm cruising between 35 to 50. The truck didn't seem to do it when new but maybe I just didn't notice. Doesn't seem to be mds related because it seems to vibrate regardless whether eco is on or not. I've searched alot of forums and can't really find an answer. Do any of you other rebel owners seems to "feel the road" in the steering wheel or gas pedal because of the more aggressive tires or do I possibly have a problem? I do have an appointment on Thursday for recall, passenger seat issue and this. I'm just trying to get an idea if I'm being too picky or not.
I have had zero vibration at the gas pedal or steering wheel on my Rebel. The Duratracs do have a hum, but everything is solid. Also, not a lot of comments about vibrations on the forums, so likely an isolated incident and should be investigated.

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I had to change my appointment from Thursday to Friday now but I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

cgdmnky

Reaction score
I have vibrations in same mph range. Feel it in the pedal and steering wheel. Please update with service findings. I also have clicking that is audible when I press the brake pedal. Some say it is a relay. Not sure if you have that as well.

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
So I ended up taking it in today because my job got cancelled and had the time. They just called and want to keep it another night. They want their lead tech to look at it tomorrow because they can definitely feel the vibration in the gas pedal but cant pinpoint what's causing it yet. I'm just relieved that they can feel it and I'm not getting the run around that I got with my previous vehicle's shaking issues. I'll update tomorrow.

cgdmnky

Reaction score
My biggest fear is hearing a tech being dismissive of your concerns after a test drive. That is very encouraging. I will share your update and future replies with the Service team handling mine which should take place next week.

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
My biggest fear is hearing a tech being dismissive of your concerns after a test drive. That is very encouraging. I will share your update and future replies with the Service team handling mine which should take place next week.
Well I got my truck back last night. They said they test drove another one and it felt the same. So I asked if I could drive another one. They said I couldn't because the one they drove belonged to another customer and they were closing soon. So I said ok what about tomorrow. He said he would let me drive something on their lot. So that's currently what I'm going to do today. I'm pretty sure the other one won't feel the same as mine and I'm just going to have to take it back to the dealer I bought it from (over an hour away) in early August when I'm taking a week off of work to house train our new, future puppy. I hate playing these games with the service department but its par for the course I suppose.

cgdmnky

Reaction score
So frustrating. Appreciate your updates. I hope to have service see mine this week. Expecting a call to setup an appointment.

Does the issues seem more prominent at the end of the day? For me it seems the vibrations/feel of the road increase as I drive it more throughout the day.

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
So frustrating. Appreciate your updates. I hope to have service see mine this week. Expecting a call to setup an appointment.

Does the issues seem more prominent at the end of the day? For me it seems the vibrations/feel of the road increase as I drive it more throughout the day.
I was never able to go in and test drive another rebel. Life and responsibilities got in the way as usual. So I guess I'll try again in August when I have time off of work. Yes, it seems like first thing in the morning its smooth as silk and gets worse the longer I drive. I've been trying to pay attention to when it happens the last 2 days. It seems like if I keep my foot out of the accelerator it seems smoother. Also extremely smooth paved roads seem to vibrate more than rough, older pavement. Also I'm not sure but it seems like having a/c on full blast also contributes. It seems like anything that lugs on the engine is causing it. That kind of makes sense because 35 to 50 is when I find myself applying the most pressure to the gas pedal. So now I dont think it's necessarily the tires but more engine or exhaust vibrations. Honestly I can live with it if it's just a characteristic of the powertrain but it's frustrating when other people are saying their trucks are vibration free. Let me know if your dealer is any help to you, I'd definitely appreciate it.

cgdmnky

Reaction score
Man -- You are describing my exact symptoms. Morning is smooth. I'm not using the AC as much then. The afternoon drive home it is + 100 degrees here. So I have full blast AC. The vibrations are worse then. You feel the vibrations more when coasting or decelerating vs foot on the accelator and increasing speeds. It's almost like grinding vibrations at times. You could feel it when you make right turns while accelerating. Yeah I'm am not sure it is the tires either.

I might turn off the AC on the ride home to see if that helps. I am still waiting on the dealer to contact me about service appointment.

cgdmnky

Reaction score
Update. played with AC on and off this afternoon drive home. Could not notice a difference. But the vibrations were back. Noticed them at 7 MPH slowly driving. A describe it as a "grinding" vibration more prominent in the pedals. Again in 30-35 MPH and various other MPH throughout my city and highway driving commute. What is puzzling is how less vibrations occur if not none at all in the morning drive. When the problems are at its worse later in the day, I notice a prominent "grinding" vibration in the pedals making a right turn accelerating from a dead stop. I left a VM with the service director of a local dealership. I hope they return my call.

My truck is fresh from the factory built June of 2019.

cgdmnky

Reaction score
Morning update:

Drove a good bit this morning. It was relatively smooth and enjoyable ride. There is some vibrations but I think it is normal as my other cars have vibrations. But this vibrations are constant for the most part and don't take away from smooth driving experience. AC full blast did not affect this smooth ride.

I suspect later today I will have a different experience. It will have variable vibrations that feel like grinding at times. I suspect its powertrain related. But why change later in the day?? It is definitely a crappy driving experience. I will update later today in this hot weather.

Jekyll and Hyde situation?

cgdmnky

Reaction score
As expected, the afternoon drive brought back the Hyde experience. :( At least the symptoms have a pattern. I will be sure to offer my truck to service for multiple days to get the full experience.

Joshrebel19

Reaction score
As expected, the afternoon drive brought back the Hyde experience. :( At least the symptoms have a pattern. I will be sure to offer my truck to service for multiple days to get the full experience.
I've pretty much nailed it down to my vibration happens when I'm accelerating or applying a decent amount of pressure on the gas pedal. Seems smooth when coasting. I wont be able to get anymore answers until the second week of August but keep me posted on how your service goes.

cgdmnky

Reaction score
Will do. Service Manager test drove truck and confirmed what I’m feeling. He agreed it was not right. He will test drive in morning to experience what should be a smooth drive. They will keep it for few days.

Users who are viewing this thread