5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOW OIL PRESSURE

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Own a 2019 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab with the standard Hemi 5.7 engine. Today I noticed my oil pressure gauge reading appeared to be on the lowest reading hash mark at idle. I then revved the engine slightly and the pressure went up to say the + 1/4 hash mark. I did not notice any lifter noise at the low reading---everything appeared normal. Truck has 3300 miles on it and I assume break in oil. Is this normal pressure for this engine or in the alternative a bad gauge and take it to the dealer for a mechanical gaugehookup/reading.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Own a 2019 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab with the standard Hemi 5.7 engine. Today I noticed my oil pressure gauge reading appeared to be on the lowest reading hash mark at idle. I then revved the engine slightly and the pressure went up to say the + 1/4 hash mark. I did not notice any lifter noise at the low reading---everything appeared normal. Truck has 3300 miles on it and I assume break in oil. Is this normal pressure for this engine or in the alternative a bad gauge and take it to the dealer for a mechanical gaugehookup/reading.

Did you switch over to the digital readout for your pressure gauge, what number did you get?

RamCares

Reaction score

Hi goldeneyee,

If you end up having to address this with your dealer and you would like an additional layer of assistance for that process, our team would be more than happy to help. We are just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

mortoys

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 diesel with 23,000 just changed all filters and oil using 5-40 syn. Towing the trailer today on a trip and the oil pressure went to 0.
pulled off the road did the look around no leaks, restarted went to 50 psi then down to 20 psi then to zero. il temp was at 195.
Any thoughts

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
2019 Ram 2500 diesel with 23,000 just changed all filters and oil using 5-40 syn. Towing the trailer today on a trip and the oil pressure went to 0.
pulled off the road did the look around no leaks, restarted went to 50 psi then down to 20 psi then to zero. il temp was at 195.
Any thoughts
Bad sending unit most likely.

I had the gauge suddenly drop to zero once in a rental truck. Scared the crap out of me. Oil was full and no strange noises, so we pressed on, although we did stay off the freeway in case the engine seized and I had to suddenly shove it into neutral and coast to the shoulder.

mortoys

Reaction score
The engine never ran rough during this period. Now every time it is started it will go to 50 then drops to 0 within 30 sec. And now the dash says need exhaust service contact dealer. Will install a manual gauge to compare.
Yeah it not a comfort when your 5 hours from home towing a toyhauler. Then you need to call family to come and tow your stuff home.
It will get towed to the dealer on Wed

Users who are viewing this thread