5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud rattling with lifters

Gerry

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram sport. 5.7..
I'm starting to hear loud rattling noise in the lifters on starts and just before it changes gears. Seems to only be on the drivers side..this can't be normal???

Gerry

Reaction score
It's there now. They are telling me they don't hear anything. It is easily heard. It's that loud.. frustrated!! I did get a oil change. Hopefully a bad filter.. I'm picking it up shortly..

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram sport. 5.7..
I'm starting to hear loud rattling noise in the lifters on starts and just before it changes gears. Seems to only be on the drivers side..this can't be normal???

I get the occasional lifter noise on startup if I just start the truck to pull it in the garage, usually if it runs for less than 45 seconds before I shut it off again it will make the noise next startup. I've also had what I believe to be some pinging around 3K rpm under moderate acceleration right before it shifts. I am still fairly certain it's fuel related, but even running 91 octane regularly it's still there, so part of me is starting to consider it may be oil related, however I can only hear it on the driver's side, and it's tough to really pin it down.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine seems to be coming from the passenger side under light loads (with or without MDS engaged). I think there is something wrong with my lifters. I'm going to ask the Service Department to check it out next visit.

Vince Shanahan

Reaction score
I have noticed it first thing in the morning she ticks for around 20 seconds and it gets quieter it only has 2500 mile on it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine seems to be coming from the passenger side under light loads (with or without MDS engaged). I think there is something wrong with my lifters. I'm going to ask the Service Department to check it out next visit.
Did they say if it will be a technical service bulletin? I plan to buy an August build 2020 tomorrow.
I have noticed it first thing in the morning she ticks for around 20 seconds and it gets quieter it only has 2500 mile on it.

Hi Billy & Vince - If you do move forward on this, our team is always a private message away and more than willing to escalate cases on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealers.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread