5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud exhaust

CCBentz3

Reaction score
Hey all just ran in to an issue this evening. I was stopped at the stop sign and when I pulled away my truck all of a sudden sounded extremely loud. Exhaust sounded at least 10 fold louder like I had custom pipes. Perhaps I’m just micro focused on it but also seemed like had a little less HP and downshift didn’t seem as smooth. Any ideas of what could of happen? I turned the truck on and off thinking maybe I bumped the gear shift buttons but still super loud. I checked for leaks and found nothing. I’m sitting at 48k miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There has to be a leak. Broken exhaust manifold bolts, cracked exhaust manifolds, and broken bolts at the muffler flange are the most common areas for exhaust leaks on 5th gens. Please list your truck details when posting a question about your truck. It's tough enough to diagnose something over a computer. Not knowing what you're asking about makes it even tougher. :ROFLMAO:
Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hey all just ran in to an issue this evening. I was stopped at the stop sign and when I pulled away my truck all of a sudden sounded extremely loud. Exhaust sounded at least 10 fold louder like I had custom pipes. Perhaps I’m just micro focused on it but also seemed like had a little less HP and downshift didn’t seem as smooth. Any ideas of what could of happen? I turned the truck on and off thinking maybe I bumped the gear shift buttons but still super loud. I checked for leaks and found nothing. I’m sitting at 48k miles.
Was it right after a cold start? I noticed on my truck *sometimes* if I get on the gas moderate-hard while the truck isn’t warmed up it’ll be SUPER loud and raspy just for that first burst of acceleration and then go back to normal. It’s only happened a few times and I’m usually like what the hell and laugh it off

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was it right after a cold start? I noticed on my truck *sometimes* if I get on the gas moderate-hard while the truck isn’t warmed up it’ll be SUPER loud and raspy just for that first burst of acceleration and then go back to normal. It’s only happened a few times and I’m usually like what the hell and laugh it off
I just noticed this on my truck. When i start it up in the morning it has a loud gurgle sound almost like I have a modified muffler. It does go away after accelerating. Are you still having this issue?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I just noticed this on my truck. When i start it up in the morning it has a loud gurgle sound almost like I have a modified muffler. It does go away after accelerating. Are you still having this issue?
Mines not when I start it, it’s once I drive it and get on it hard for the first time it’s a loud raspy exhaust note but then it goes away. Hardly ever happens but it’s happened a few times. It doesn’t concern me at all

Users who are viewing this thread