5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for info on LED headlight assemblies...

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I got the great news from a thread below about the harness that you can now grab to go from the woeful halogen assembly to the 'premium' LED option. I need your help here as I do not know what part number(s) I am looking for.

I'm rocking a '19 Bighorn with the 5'7 bed, 5.7 Hemi and level 1 equipment package.

I know that the active light (is that what it is called?) technology isn't supported with it, and I am fine with that; but I don't know the specifics on what I am looking for.

I want to get the blacked out ones rather than the lighter (chrome?) inner parts. I think that's the difference... honestly, I'm a rookie when it comes to cars, and I am slowly trying to get into the whole modding/changing scene as I already feel like this is something I want to do. I'm passionate about PCs, and I fear (really!) that this might be my next money sink.

I really, really shouldn't be saying this... but if someone has a pair of what I am looking for and for a decent price, I may just have to put them on the credit card. I am trying to avoid that, but if the offer is too good to pass up... it may happen. I would want a pair, though, which might be quite rare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Black headlights:
Left - 68316089AG
Right - 68316088AG

Black Tail Lights:
Left - 55112993AD
Right - 55112992AD

I'm in the process and have everything on order.

I already received the harness from retroshop.

The tail lights shipped today.

The left headlight is apparently on National backorder, with an ETA of 6/14.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Thank you very much!! That is precisely what I needed. Time to hunt for the parts, I guess... :)

Did you order the lights from retroshop as well? I'm a little hesitant due to the cost... but I know that it's actually not a bad price considering the pricing from Mopar direct.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, they’re cheaper (not cheap) elsewhere.

First, I ordered everything from Tasca Parts but they cancelled my order due to the left headlight being on backorder.

I ordered the tail lights from rockauto.com for ~$600 , but they don’t offer the blackout headlights, so I ordered those from Bam Wholesale. They were $1050 for the pair.

Including the harness, tax, shipping, etc., this is around a $2000 upgrade. Not cheap. Blackout or chrome is the same price. I went with the blackout because I like the tails a lot better then the regular ones. The headlights don’t look that much different to me, but since I’m dropping $2G, I figured I may as well make it just a little different then the rest of the non-blackout Big Horns.

I also got Morimotos XB LED fog light housings. I installed those already and they flicker slightly. I’m a little dissapointed, but it’s not really noticeable. I only noticed it when I was adjusting the aim against my garage door. It’s barely noticeable when looking directly at the lights themselves unless you really scrutinize it.

dsn112

Reaction score
It’s worth it just to change the look from horrible to bad ***.

Top day one, bottom now
c38ddc4f0926dcdbbeaea5738303d8f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
It’s undeniable how much better they look.

Man... I really need to find a pair of front lights for a decent price. :D

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, for the headlights I would just go with new. You’re not going to find any decent used ones unless you’re lucky enough to find someone on here that is switching from chrome to black or vise versa. Other than that, you may find some on eBay but they’ll probably be off a truck that’s been cracked up. All the ones I’ve seen are cracked and/or have broken tabs, etc.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
That’s what I’ve been seeing too. Most of them have cracks or broken tabs like you said.

I’ll keep an open mind... maybe someone will come along with a swap, again, like you said. :D

Failing that, new isn’t always a terrible option. I would probably sell my halogen housings to recoup some of the cash...

dsn112

Reaction score
1: you won't get anything for the halogens, so you're better off holding them for when you eventually sell the truck, you can revert back and sell the LEDs.

2: Moosem is right, every used light is broken in some way on ebay, and the sellers are on crack. I made an offer on a broken tab housing of $225 and the guy told me they retail for $900 and he wouldn't go less than $600. I got them new for $525 each. You just have to bite the bullet and spend the cash.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. I’ll more than likely just buy new in that case.

Yeah, honestly, I try to avoid eBay anyway. It’s full of people trying to rip you off whether you’re a buyer or a seller. I’ve been burned a number of times.

I’ll look into grabbing a new set of front lights soon. :)

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Makes sense. I will see if I can get them through my dealer as they have a parts shop too. Might be a little more costly, but worth it if there’s warranty.

dsn112

Reaction score
Your dealer will most likely be too pricey. BAM and TASCA are dealers, most of the mopar parts sites are just dealers web sales.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, im looking into swapping my headlights too. First ill do the tails to LED since thats easier and cheaper then eventually do the headlights

dsn112

Reaction score
Tails are awesome since they take 30 seconds per side. That said, I was set leaving the tails stock because honestly they look fine. The headlights however are hideous.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will post pics when mine is completed. dsn112 posted pics here and on another thread and it looks awesome. Looking at his before and afters is what really inspired me to pull the trigger and go through with this! Plus, he's been very helpful with consultation. Hopefully everything will be done within the next couple of weeks. The halogen headlights really do look awful IMO. It's actually ridiculous that a 2019 at this price point has halogens in the first place. That said, $995 option doesn't sound too bad compared to the $2000 that it costs to uograde after the fact. I really liked the sport appearance versus chrome so I got it. I thought I could live with the halogens but I just can't!

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
You and me both! I thought I could live without them... nope. I also fully agree that halogens on a truck at $50k in today’s world is ridiculous. At least give us LED bulbs! They let the ball drop on that one, I think.

I’ll hunt up some prices near me and then go from there. Litecoin is going up steadily, and it’s already past the point where I can sell some of my stock to pay for the upgrade. Tempting is an understatement. :D

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I read a comment yesterday about us getting 15% off of parts until the end of the year. Am I mistaken? If not, how? I wouldn’t mind saving a couple hundred bucks.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's on mopar.com. You will need to register if you haven't already, then click on 'My Special Offers' and there's a coupon.
Even with 15% off at the dealer, it's probably still going to be cheaper online, but it's worth a shot. Also, the coupon is not redeemable online.

Users who are viewing this thread