5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for All Weather tire replacement

LiteFiter

Reaction score
Have a 2020 Big Horn Quad that has stock size Fuel Wheels and KO2’s. Currently riding all year round on this setup but am considering very hard about changing to a more highway tire for 3 season driving and keeping the KO2s for winter. I live in way upstate NY, so snow rated is almost a given. I would like to get a good looking tire that would perform well on both highway and around town. It’s been many years since I have had a tire like that but I’m in my late 60s and frankly my driving habits have changed so I don’t need a tire full time like the KO2 anymore. Plus a little better gas mileage wouldn’t be a bad thing. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Zemlyak

Reaction score
All weather M/S for snow weather in upstate NY? Sorry but this is crazy :)
I would suggest AT snow rated Firestone Destination AT tires, quiet for the summer and good for the winter.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Michelin Defender LTX. Excellent in all conditions. I even had them on snow covered mud logging roads last month during hunting season. They are surprisingly good off road. Downside? They're kinda boring looking. But, best tire I've ever driven in the driy, wet, and maybe the best on ice as well (short of actual winter tires). FWIW I drive a LOT and get new tires every 12-15 months. My big concerns are highway tire noise and fuel mileage...all good with these tires.

Be careful with most AT tires. Most of them are not great in snow and ice. Study the user reviews at tirerack...they'll prove the point.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been very pleased with the Cooper ATS 4s tires I put on last winter. Great traction so far in the rain and snow, and a marginal hit on my mpg (though in all fairness I added these slightly larger than stock tires along with Fuel wheels, so I am not comparing apples to apples vs the stock wheels and tires). In the summer the road noise is almost nil, so as a 3 season tire I don't think you would be unhappy.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
bdb195dd0dc865c2b158b3cd10ddeb2d.jpg

My three peak falkens a did just as good in the snow and ice as my blizzaks on another vehicle.

Unless you live in an area where you need studs for 8 months out of the year, your standard 3 peak tire will do great for almost any situation.

Tire tech has come a long way since the 70s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Michelin M/S tires are a really good all around tire.
I agree 100% with what Snofire said. Though I am really liking the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA that my new truck came with.

41magmag41

Reaction score
ditto on what the two previous posts said. on mt second set of falkins, 2019 bighorn with 70000 miles, and love them. im in the snow belt, new hampshire.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree 100% with what Snofire said. Though I am really liking the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA that my new truck came with.

I have those on my truck now but have the LTX M/S on my original rims. We are supposed to get hit pretty good with snow tonight and on Tuesday so will see how the Wildpeaks do.

jkm312

Reaction score
If your are going to swap tires in the fall, then the Michelin Defender's would be a very good choice. You could also consider a set of Cooper AT3 4S. I replaced my OEM Dueler's with the Coopers. They are an all around great year round tire for me. They are not an extreme mud tire, but will suffice for occasional light off road use. They run quiet and handle very well in all of the conditions I drive in.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
I know they claim to make such things, I'll stand by my statement.
Just check out how little that three peak designation has to do to acheive it.
I ran Nokian all-weather tires on an older SUV I owned and was pleased with their performance in snow. That said, there's always a trade-off when you try to get one tire to do all jobs, and I've opted to run dedicated snows on every other vehicle I've had for the past decade or so.

Falken QA

Reaction score
I'll chime in on tire categories

All season tires are really made for 3.5 seasons of the year. They do average in terms of spring/summer/fall in terms of traction & performance. They are really meant for low noise and comfort. They can handle some wintery conditions, though not much.

All weather tires are made for pretty much all year round & not 3/5 seasons like "all season" tires. They'll most likely have the 3 peak symbol stamped on the tire for usage in winter/snow conditions. the Nokian brand tend to be THE go-to brand for all weather tires.

All Terrains can vary in terms of usage. Some will have the 3PMSF symbol, others won't. A great all terrain will have sipes (those lines/zigzag lines on the blocks) throughout the tire to help with traction. A combination of sipes & a tire with 3PMSF symbol (compounds w/this symbol remain pliable once temps drop below 30F) can you get by the winter/snow without needing to purchase a dedicated winter tire, so in a way this could be your "all-weather" tire. You'll start to have traction issues on All Terrains that lacks sipes and/or 3PMSF.

This is all generalities but at least this is a catalyst on what each category of tire means.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
I'll chime in on tire categories

All season tires are really made for 3.5 seasons of the year. They do average in terms of spring/summer/fall in terms of traction & performance. They are really meant for low noise and comfort. They can handle some wintery conditions, though not much.

All weather tires are made for pretty much all year round & not 3/5 seasons like "all season" tires. They'll most likely have the 3 peak symbol stamped on the tire for usage in winter/snow conditions. the Nokian brand tend to be THE go-to brand for all weather tires.

All Terrains can vary in terms of usage. Some will have the 3PMSF symbol, others won't. A great all terrain will have sipes (those lines/zigzag lines on the blocks) throughout the tire to help with traction. A combination of sipes & a tire with 3PMSF symbol (compounds w/this symbol remain pliable once temps drop below 30F) can you get by the winter/snow without needing to purchase a dedicated winter tire, so in a way this could be your "all-weather" tire. You'll start to have traction issues on All Terrains that lacks sipes and/or 3PMSF.

This is all generalities but at least this is a catalyst on what each category of tire means.
Exactly so. I prefer to optimize performance in wet/dry with my "all-season" choice and run dedicated snows the ~4 months they are warranted in my area. In the end I might spend a little extra on tires, but the better stopping distance and traction throughout every season makes that entirely worthwhile to me. One avoided accident would more than compensate me for any costs (time and/or money) incurred with running two sets of tires.

I once saw someone ask why they couldn't run winter tires all year. The person responding explained they'd wear quickly, but entirely ignored the degradation of performance in warm weather. I'd like my vehicle to perform optimally as often as possible tyvm.

Users who are viewing this thread