5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking Back At The 2006 Ram 1500 ‘Heavy Half-Ton’ Mega Cab:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Looking Back At The 2006 Ram 1500 ‘Heavy Half-Ton’ Mega Cab:​

Based On The 2500, This Half-Ton Was Biggest Ever Offered...​

2006-Dodge-Ram-1500-Mega-Cab-SLT-4x2.-Larry-H.-Miller-CDJR-1.jpg

It’s 2005 and the full-size Crew Cab pickup truck segment is growing at a rapid rate as more people are starting to use their pickup trucks as family vehicles. The Dodge Truck division (which is now known as the RAM) is ready to introduce its updated lineup of 2006 Dodge Ram pickups to the public. While other pickup brands have offered Crew Cab variants of their pickups, Dodge is to the game, only offering its smaller four-door Quad Cab configuration as an option.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Looking Back At The 2006 Ram 1500 ‘Heavy Half-Ton’ Mega Cab:​

Based On The 2500, This Half-Ton Was Biggest Ever Offered...​

2006-Dodge-Ram-1500-Mega-Cab-SLT-4x2.-Larry-H.-Miller-CDJR-1.jpg

It’s 2005 and the full-size Crew Cab pickup truck segment is growing at a rapid rate as more people are starting to use their pickup trucks as family vehicles. The Dodge Truck division (which is now known as the RAM) is ready to introduce its updated lineup of 2006 Dodge Ram pickups to the public. While other pickup brands have offered Crew Cab variants of their pickups, Dodge is to the game, only offering its smaller four-door Quad Cab configuration as an option.

Reminds me of the trick GM pulled a few years earlier, using their previous-gen 3/4-ton frames to enable them to build a crew cab 1/2-ton easily.

My 2003 GMC 1500HD SLT Quarasteer crew cab was an example of this, with the frame and drivetrain (6.0L V8, 4L85E, 4.10) of the old 3/4-ton truck, complete with a 6’-6” bed.

The result was a “heavy half” that could be loaded with options (mine was) and still have an incredible 2,800 lb of payload capacity.

I installed a custom-bent Magnaflow exhaust and had it tuned in person by Black Bear Performance. It was a great truck!

Users who are viewing this thread