5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock'er Down Console Safe - Install

chucka

Reaction score
I wish I would have taken more and better pics, but it's pretty simple to do.
I'm posting a pic of the Lock'er Down instrucstions below.
The only issue I ran into is how to take the little plastic tabs out in step 3 and 4..... The clips broke, but the only thing I can see them there for is to hold the divider up, and with the safe installed you really don't need them.
The safe is held in by 4 self tapping screws. Two of them go through Holes on the back of the safe, and the other two are at the bottom. You can see the holes in the pictures I'm posting.
When I cut the rubber mat on the bottom I just used an razor blade. You can see where I cut them and I think it worked out perfect. If I ever decide to take the safe out I believe I could put the rear piece back in and it not really be noticeable.

I've only had it installed a couple days, but here is my 2 day review. Quality is top notch, customer service is beyond excellent.
The only negatives I have are
a) the bottom is open to plastic. my GMC model was full metal everywhere.
b) how it's mounted, by self tapping screws. again, My GMC had 2 bolts that held it in place in OEM holes. but I can see why they did it this was as there is no mounting holes where the safe is.

I highly recommend this to anyone.

Also, this will not fit the Limited or Long Horn as of now (11/29/18) - Let me explain this, it will "Fit", you just won't be able to slide your console back. But come to find out the Mopar one has the same issue.
I posted these pics in the "awesome console safe" post, but thought it may deserve it's own post. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_3122.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_3111.jpg
    IMG_3111.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and pics!

Not a fan of them using self-tapping screws either, but really... you'd have to remove the entire console to get to the inside of the safe, no?

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I wish I would have taken more and better pics, but it's pretty simple to do.
I'm posting a pic of the Lock'er Down instrucstions below.
The only issue I ran into is how to take the little plastic tabs out in step 3 and 4..... The clips broke, but the only thing I can see them there for is to hold the divider up, and with the safe installed you really don't need them.
The safe is held in by 4 self tapping screws. Two of them go through Holes on the back of the safe, and the other two are at the bottom. You can see the holes in the pictures I'm posting.
When I cut the rubber mat on the bottom I just used an razor blade. You can see where I cut them and I think it worked out perfect. If I ever decide to take the safe out I believe I could put the rear piece back in and it not really be noticeable.

I've only had it installed a couple days, but here is my 2 day review. Quality is top notch, customer service is beyond excellent.
The only negatives I have are
a) the bottom is open to plastic. my GMC model was full metal everywhere.
b) how it's mounted, by self tapping screws. again, My GMC had 2 bolts that held it in place in OEM holes. but I can see why they did it this was as there is no mounting holes where the safe is.

I highly recommend this to anyone.

Also, this will not fit the Limited or Long Horn as of now (11/29/18) - Let me explain this, it will "Fit", you just won't be able to slide your console back. But come to find out the Mopar one has the same issue.
I posted these pics in the "awesome console safe" post, but thought it may deserve it's own post. :)
Did you happen to get any feedback about what may be done for the Limited or Longhorn?

cjmst23

Reaction score
Did you happen to get any feedback about what may be done for the Limited or Longhorn?
I've been working with the team from LD. They are planning to have the lower model released in early January

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I've been working with the team from LD. They are planning to have the lower model released in early January
Ditto, spoke via email and was placed on a call back list. Gave me a 2 month window for the Limited/Longhorn with fingers crossed it could be less.

geotex1

Reaction score
I just installed mine this morning after the Op, chucka, was kind enough to send pictures of the clips that hold the flip-up bulkhead and have to be removed. After studying them carefully and attempting removal with incredible care, I can tell you that you will likely break the clips. They attach at 3 points, and those points are hook-shaped, brittle plastic. It is a design meant to only go in once and be locked tightly. There's very little room to work, and I had pictures and a borescope to help me! If you can manage to free the rear-most tab (i.e., closest to rear seat) you can remove them intact. You will need to push that tab toward the motor while at the same time putting a lot of pressure on the side of the console to pop it free. Too much push forward and the hook snaps before you can pop it. After breaking it on one side, and seeing the two forward clips remained intact, I felt this would be fine. I can reinstall it with two clips for locating and secure it with a small self-tapping screw should I ever need to return to stock.

Installation was easy after that using the four self-tapping screws provided and just a hand screw driver. I cut and reinstalled my mat forward, and I also cut the back of the mat so it would fit inside the safe and provide some cushion. You have to basically cut it before the depression molded it where you would have grabbed the folding bulkhead to stand it in to reuse the mat in the safe.

Zinger

Reaction score
Is there a key backup on that safe? I don't see one. If not, what do you do if the battery fails?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed mine this morning after the Op, chucka, was kind enough to send pictures of the clips that hold the flip-up bulkhead and have to be removed. After studying them carefully and attempting removal with incredible care, I can tell you that you will likely break the clips. They attach at 3 points, and those points are hook-shaped, brittle plastic. It is a design meant to only go in once and be locked tightly. There's very little room to work, and I had pictures and a borescope to help me! If you can manage to free the rear-most tab (i.e., closest to rear seat) you can remove them intact. You will need to push that tab toward the motor while at the same time putting a lot of pressure on the side of the console to pop it free. Too much push forward and the hook snaps before you can pop it. After breaking it on one side, and seeing the two forward clips remained intact, I felt this would be fine. I can reinstall it with two clips for locating and secure it with a small self-tapping screw should I ever need to return to stock.

Installation was easy after that using the four self-tapping screws provided and just a hand screw driver. I cut and reinstalled my mat forward, and I also cut the back of the mat so it would fit inside the safe and provide some cushion. You have to basically cut it before the depression molded it where you would have grabbed the folding bulkhead to stand it in to reuse the mat in the safe.

Geotex -

I ordered my Lock'er Down this weekend. I like the idea of keeping the rubber mat in the console. From what you're saying above, it seems the Lock'er Down can't just be placed over the rubber mat. You have to take the mat out and cut it to fit in front of the safe and then trim it to fit inside the safe, correct?

Thanks.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Can you fit a full size carry gun in there so the barrel is pointing forward? How about a something smaller like a M&P Shield? If either fit pointing forward it looks like the grip would hard to get to, correct?

I hope someone just comes up with a locking console lid with a 3 number combo lock. It would be fine for my purposes.

geotex1

Reaction score
Geotex -

I ordered my Lock'er Down this weekend. I like the idea of keeping the rubber mat in the console. From what you're saying above, it seems the Lock'er Down can't just be placed over the rubber mat. You have to take the mat out and cut it to fit in front of the safe and then trim it to fit inside the safe, correct?

Thanks.

Depends on the lock you got. I have the electronic, and the console tray won't clear if you leave the mat under the safe. Another member with the standard lock said he could leave it. It's pretty easy trimming if you're patient.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the lock you got. I have the electronic, and the console tray won't clear if you leave the mat under the safe. Another member with the standard lock said he could leave it. It's pretty easy trimming if you're patient.

Thanks, Geo. I ordered it with the electronic lock so I'll just trim the mat as you suggest. No big deal and I want to be able to slide the console tray.

geotex1

Reaction score
Can you fit a full size carry gun in there so the barrel is pointing forward? How about a something smaller like a M&P Shield? If either fit pointing forward it looks like the grip would hard to get to, correct?

I hope someone just comes up with a locking console lid with a 3 number combo lock. It would be fine for my purposes.

No, you're not fitting anything more than a pocket pistol barrel forward. The safe can contain my commander size 1911s, but normally my Shield is in there will additional mags. When I place in the safe, the mag has been ejected and chamber cleared.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Anthony - I have a Glock 21 that I intend to have in the truck for trips. I usually have a smaller, Kahr PM9, that I carry.

Anyway, I posted a pic in the thread below from Lock'er Down's website that shows what appears to be a full size pistol in the slim safe for the Longhorn and Limited, and from the pic, it looks like you can have the pistol pointing to either side. See post # 12.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/gun-safe-and-console-holster.6927/

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, you're not fitting anything more than a pocket pistol barrel forward. The safe can contain my commander size 1911s, but normally my Shield is in there will additional mags. When I place in the safe, the mag has been ejected and chamber cleared.

Good safety tip, Geo.

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
I think one of the things to remember with these safes is that they are not meant for fast retrieval. I had to remind myself of this several times when I got mine.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think one of the things to remember with these safes is that they are not meant for fast retrieval. I had to remind myself of this several times when I got mine.

I agree. But since I keep mine locked in the glove box most of the time, the safe will be faster than fumbling to get the key out of the fob and then trying to reach over to the glove box.

Users who are viewing this thread