5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lifter issue fixed or not?

laramie4x4

Reaction score
Doing some research on the HEMI 5.7 and seems the lifter had serious issues which destroys the camshaft - see video here:

Is this issue isolated to some older model year or does it still exist on current models?

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Idk ran an 03 hard for 167k. Had a tick on startup but never an issue. 2020 now with >4k we will see. I do my own oil and maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From what I understand it's part of an inherent design of the camshaft being so far away from the lifters, unlike a small block Chevy for example. Since the lifters are fed oil by oil splash from the rotating assembly, that they can be starved of oil if you idle too long with lower oil pressures. 1,500 rpms or higher is needed to keep it well oiled.

They introduced higher quality roller pins, a few years ago, but that won't help if they aren't getting enough oil. It's recommend that you occasionally rev up the engine to get the upper part of the valvetrain lubricated well, use a good quality synthetic as well to help with this. Essentially gun it from time to time when you can do so safely is the most common layman advice. Most of us do that anyways, since it's a Hemi and kinda the point right :)

As 2020Big4x4Horn mentioned, he ran his 03' hard, which is why he probably didn't have a problem. He got it well lubricated, it's running it too gingerly that may cost you.

Of course no one actually knows of the current Hemi engines in the DT gen RAMs have been "upgraded" to fix this issue in some other way. It's one of those wait and see as more and more current gen RAMs rack up the mileage. But I'll be listening for that Hemi tick each time I cold start my truck, just in case.

Drewster

Reaction score
My 2004 had no issues between me hypermiling it day-to-day and towing a race car on the weekends. It ticked when it needed an oil change, but it never let me down... and that engine -according to my friends- was supposed to have all the valve springs break, crack the manifolds, shred the lifters, etc. ..and the transmission was supposed to quit long before that. Never happened.

Stay on top of your oil changes with synthetic engine oil, and especially after 16 years of perfecting the Hemi I wouldn't worry one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/