5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifted Ram 1500 BDS 4 inch - New wheels necessary??

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
I have searched through a lot of discussions about lifts and what everyone is running and it looks like everyone has aftermarket wheels. Are they necessary?

I have a 2021 bighorn night edition (black wheels - 20 inch) that I want to put a 4 inch BDS lift in. If I go this route I would put on 35/11.5 tires, but I would like to keep the stock rims. Will there be rubbing issues? Will my wheels be sucked into the wheel well too far instead of a wider stance? Is there a solution where I can keep my stock rims?

I am fine paying the 3-3.5K for the lift installed plus new tires, but I don't want to pay for new rims. Mostly because all I would want are black rims, and I already have those.

Does anyone have this specific lift with stock rims? Pics?

Attachments

• new Truck pic.jpg
    new Truck pic.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 164

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I have searched through a lot of discussions about lifts and what everyone is running and it looks like everyone has aftermarket wheels. Are they necessary?

I have a 2021 bighorn night edition (black wheels - 20 inch) that I want to put a 4 inch BDS lift in. If I go this route I would put on 35/11.5 tires, but I would like to keep the stock rims. Will there be rubbing issues? Will my wheels be sucked into the wheel well too far instead of a wider stance? Is there a solution where I can keep my stock rims?

I am fine paying the 3-3.5K for the lift installed plus new tires, but I don't want to pay for new rims. Mostly because all I would want are black rims, and I already have those.

I did a 3.5" Readylift w/ Stock 20's

GATORB8

Reaction score
x2 you can fit those tires with less lift.

BDS’s website says min backspacing of 5”, you can probably use wheel spacers to make that happen.

Mpharis

Reaction score

I did rough country 3.5 lift 285/55/22 nitro trail grabbler no rubbing rides great

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
The wheels should fit no problem. Worst case scenario you might need a 1.5-2” spacer for $150, no need for new wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
You’ll probably need wheel spacers (both for clearance and for looks) but other than that it should be fine!

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
You’ll probably need wheel spacers (both for clearance and for looks) but other than that it should be fine!
Do you know much about wheel spacers. The little I have heard about them is mostly negative. Don't they wear down other components very quickly? I have also heard the further you go out, the worse it is. Is 2 inches too much for a spacer?

GATORB8

Reaction score
Do you know much about wheel spacers. The little I have heard about them is mostly negative. Don't they wear down other components very quickly? I have also heard the further you go out, the worse it is. Is 2 inches too much for a spacer?
Biggest impact is probably wheel bearings since you’re increasing the distance from the bearing to the load application, although I believe with some spacer/wheel combinations you may have to cut down the studs.

rubrduk

Reaction score
whoa whoa whoa...

high quality, hub-centric, 1-2" spacers do not put any more stress on the bearings differently than a wider wheel with correct offset...that's an old wives tale that's been disproved many times. If you are using 6" ****ty ebay spacers,...yes, you are going to die

- the key points here are to use high-quality, hub-centric spacers that can be torqued correctly and are precision balanced like BORA brand spacers

Night Edition wheels have pockets between the lug holes, so there is no need to trim the studs when using a 1.25-1.5" spacer

- Night Edition wheels are 20x9 +19 offset, so when using a 1.25" spacer, you are effectively changing to 20x9 -13 offset or you can go with a 1.5 spacer which is effectively 20x9 -18, both of which are extremely common offsets for aftermarket 9" wheels

Last edited:

GATORB8

Reaction score
whoa whoa whoa...

high quality, hub-centric, 1-2" spacers do not put any more stress on the bearings differently than a wider wheel with correct offset...that's an old wives tale that's been disproved many times. If you are using 6" ****ty ebay spacers,...yes, you are going to die

- the key points here are to use high-quality, hub-centric spacers that can be torqued correctly and are precision balanced like BORA brand spacers

Night Edition wheels have pockets between the lug holes, so there is no need to trim the studs when using a 1.25-1.5" spacer

- Night Edition wheels are 20x9 +19 offset, so when using a 1.25" spacer, you are effectively changing to 20x9 -13 offset or you can go with a 1.5 spacer which is effectively 20x9 -18, both of which are extremely common offsets for aftermarket 9" wheels
But, both the spacer and aftermarket wheels in your example have a similar increase to leverage on the bearing compared to stock. I wasn’t saying it’s a big issue (wheel bearing replacement is reasonably cheap and easy).
As you mentioned there is a minimum spacer size to prevent cutting.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
As long as you get hub centric high quality ones you should be good. I would try to stick to as little as possible while still giving you the look you want. Probably around 1” I’m guessing. I used to think spacers were dangerous but if duallys come from the factory with huge spacers for the front wheels & they trust those trucks to last hundreds of thousands of miles and tow crazy weight, I feel like they’ll be safe on our trucks as long as you get high quality ones. Don’t cheap out and buy $50 spacers.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
But, both the spacer and aftermarket wheels in your example have a similar increase to leverage on the bearing compared to stock. I wasn’t saying it’s a big issue (wheel bearing replacement is reasonably cheap and easy).
As you mentioned there is a minimum spacer size to prevent cutting.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ I tried explaining this to a friend and he could not grasp that moving the center of the wheel load out is the same whether by spacer or by using a wheel with the offset manufactured into it. Either way the wheel moves out from the bearing. Yes a bit more stress but it is done all the time.

AA1mike

Reaction score
any experts out here? is this correct? i just learned this a shot while back. i am still trying to pic a lift and i have factory 18x8 rims.
when you add wheel spacers you decrease backspacing.
example..2 inch spacer with a factory wheel with 5 inch backspacing you will end up with a backspacing measurement of 3 inches.
now if the spec is minimum back spacing of 5 inches for the lift kit then this will not work.
now your calipers and or your control arm have interference.

backspacing and offset are different.
offset is the distance from center of the wheel.
backspacing is distance from wheel mounting surface to outer lip of the wheel.

GATORB8

Reaction score
any experts out here? is this correct? i just learned this a shot while back. i am still trying to pic a lift and i have factory 18x8 rims.
example..2 inch spacer with a factory wheel with 5 inch backspacing you will end up with a backspacing measurement of 3 inches.
now if the spec is minimum back spacing of 5 inches for the lift kit then this will not work.

The recommended backspacing is normally a minimum value, but too “little” backspacing can cause issues with wheel well clearance.

backspacing is inner lip to mounting surface.

rubrduk

Reaction score

I’m no expert, but I can math decently

backspace and offset are 2 different ways to measure the same

backspace is simple math just like you said....measure mounting surface to the rear rim outer surface using a straightedge and a precision measurement. This measurement is typically expressed in inches and fractions thereof

Offset is based on the wheel center of the rim width

offset is from the 0 degree center of the wheel and is measured in 1 millimeter increments

Night Edition wheels are 20x9 +19 offset,...this means they are 19mm positive offset

C9C4AEE6-EF7B-4CA6-B94A-F3DCA6D554F1.jpeg

Attachments

• A8B901B9-0CFC-4A6C-B134-CC4EC34C1708.jpeg
    A8B901B9-0CFC-4A6C-B134-CC4EC34C1708.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 18

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
whoa whoa whoa...

rubrduk,

Thank you for your post. You have calmed most of my fears with wheel spacers. I have had a cheap lift on one of my old trucks and components failed very regularly. I want to make sure to do this one correctly, so I dont plan on skimping on the lift or anything else, such as spacers.

I was not aware of the pockets in the Night edition wheels. If that is the case, I would most likely get a smaller spacer, 1.25-1.5 as you stated.

For the BDS 4" lift, it is stated that you need a minimum of 5 inches of backspacing to prevent rubbing with an 18" wheel. I have 20" wheels. What does that mean for me? Do wheel spacers decrease the amount of backspacing your rim has? Also, I want to do a 35"/11.5" tire instead of a 12.5". Will that cause more problems or alleviate more problems?
1620054786326.png

Anything you can answer will be very helpful to me. I have no idea what I am doing haha I just like lifted trucks.

rubrduk

Reaction score
rubrduk,

Thank you for your post. You have calmed most of my fears with wheel spacers. I have had a cheap lift on one of my old trucks and components failed very regularly. I want to make sure to do this one correctly, so I dont plan on skimping on the lift or anything else, such as spacers.

I was not aware of the pockets in the Night edition wheels. If that is the case, I would most likely get a smaller spacer, 1.25-1.5 as you stated.

For the BDS 4" lift, it is stated that you need a minimum of 5 inches of backspacing to prevent rubbing with an 18" wheel. I have 20" wheels. What does that mean for me? Do wheel spacers decrease the amount of backspacing your rim has? Also, I want to do a 35"/11.5" tire instead of a 12.5". Will that cause more problems or alleviate more problems?
View attachment 92177

Anything you can answer will be very helpful to me. I have no idea what I am doing haha I just like lifted trucks.

1. remove a wheel from your truck, and confirm you have the pockets between the lugs, there are a few varieties of Night Edition wheels, the 20x9 has them.
- In this specific case, the 20” wheel offers very good clearance for all components (UCA’s and brake calipers)

2. BORA spacers only!! There might be other brands that are good,...but why risk it?!

3. Backspace minimum 5”:
- if you are using a 9” wide wheel, your target is 4.5 to 4.25” backspace (lower number pushes the wheel out farther)

- you do not want to go too far howe...that will possibly cause the tire to hit the outer edge of the fender, and it looks stupid

• The factory 20x9 +19 wheel is a 5.75” BS,...that will not clear without a spacer based on BDS’s minimums
• 9” wide rim a 1.25” spacer, you have a -13mm offset equivalent 4.5” BS
• 9” wide rim with a 1.5” spacer, you have a -18mm equivalent 4.25” BS

4. 35x11.5 gives you more clearance,...you most likely with not have to trim anything, but you will need to check the inner mud flap on the front

Don’t just take my word for it,...do your homework, I’m just a guy on the internet

You can visualize and confirm these specs by look at the handy dandy CustomOffsets gallery and match your lift, tire spec, and wheel spec

I’m not pushing CustomOffsets by any means,...they just have a great gallery that is easily searchable by specs.

They’ve done damn good work building their website and their video information series on YouTube, and also have a great online reputation.

Attachments

• 55CC6B42-3681-4A1C-A651-D69645E1650C.jpeg
    55CC6B42-3681-4A1C-A651-D69645E1650C.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread