5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaving Tailgate Down

halla

Reaction score
I had to move some things over the weekend, which I had to use the bed extender and leave the tailgate down. When the tailgate is open the cargo and bed lights stay lit and the tailgate down message on the dash. Does anyone know of a way to override the message on the dash? It seems odd that a pickup truck cannot be driven with the tailgate down without the warning and leaving the lights on.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hitting the ok button will clear the message. Not sure on the lights though.

halla

Reaction score
I will give that a try, thank you. It seems hitting the cargo light button shuts them off, until I shut the truck off, then they come right back on. It is an odd set up for a truck I think.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. Seems the bed lights are on by default whenever the tailgate is opened, but you can override them with the interior button. Once you start/restart, it defaults back since it is a push switch, and not a staying on/off rocker. Just hit the bed light button again. Easy Peasy!

bonebro

Reaction score
If it really bugs you, You can close the latch on the right side while the gate is open and the truck will be tricked. Just remember to hit the release button before you slam the gate back closed!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. Seems the bed lights are on by default whenever the tailgate is opened, but you can override them with the interior button. Once you start/restart, it defaults back since it is a push switch, and not a staying on/off rocker. Just hit the bed light button again. Easy Peasy!
Agreed, and I like the ‘reminder’ that the gate is down (as well as the ability to dismiss it).

slimchance

Reaction score
was in for the recalls today and questioned the service rep on the cargo light on with tailgate down .. he says there is NO way to turn off the cargo light permenantly just push the cargo light button to turn it off each time you open the tailgate ... also, mine will turn off after some period of time automatically

Lize

Reaction score
Thats a nuisance, I had a read of the manual and a search here to see if it could be controlled separately. It's no biggie, from memory my F150 was the same.

mine will turn off after some period of time automatically
Mine doesn't seem to go off with the tailgate down, approximately how long does it take for yours to go off?

Think I'm going to swap to LED lights to save juice and investigate whether they can be detached from the cab door circuit. In my scenario - open tailgate, switch off light all OK, leave tailgate open while I'm doing a job and then open cab door to use phone or get something out of my bag and cargo lights come back on again, go straight back to job and don't think to switch them off again...

Maple

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my cargo lights turn off after about 15 minutes, but I've not timed them. Will be adding another bike rack today, so I'll try to get an actual time.
PS-the switch to LEDs is really easy and looks a lot better.

Lize

Reaction score
Thanks @Maple, I'd been thinking 30 seconds or something like on the uConnect setting so no wonder I thought they'd never go out!
Yes, will swap to LEDs, sometimes its the little improvements which can be pleasing :)

TireSlayer

Reaction score
Close the latches on the tailgate and it will think the tailgate is closed. Don't forget to open the latches back up when closing the tailgate.

Lize

Reaction score
Close the latches on the tailgate and it will think the tailgate is closed. Don't forget to open the latches back up when closing the tailgate.
More likely to forget to unlatch than turn the light off...clang clang :oops::oops:

BeeLDub

Reaction score
This is helpful at all, but I'm sharing anyway.

I was behind a truck the other day, couldn't even tell you what truck, but I noticed their cargo light was on. It would automatically turn off when they went above 5mph (or so) and come back on when they would get under 5mph (or so). I thought it was a pretty cool feature!

James1414d

Reaction score
My truck came with a little wiring adaptor to run with the tailgate off/down. I'm pretty sure they all do.

evanxrs

Reaction score
I carry my kayak using a bed extender. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel and have realized the back lights stay on. When parked and locked they go off after about 15min.
I will see about the interior warning hoping i can turn off the warning by clicking ok and hopefully the rear lights go off while driving.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck came with a little wiring adaptor to run with the tailgate off/down. I'm pretty sure they all do.
Yes mine came with one as well. Wierd the cargo light would stay on when driving though, my truck won't turn on the cargo light when the truck is in gear, that said I have not tried it with the tailgate open.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My OEM bed extender has clips on each side that click into the tailgate latches. This simulates a closed tailgate, no lights and no warnings on the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread