5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking rear window in 2020 1500 laramie

Rollint

Reaction score
I don't spend time in the back seat of my crew cab because it's just me and my dog. I went back there today and found the carpet in the back is moldy. Sprayed the truck with water and a slow stream is coming down the back glass. No crack or anything. First appt at the dealer is March 1...my trucks is at 35,500 miles.

So, will ram replace all of my moldy carpet that was the result of the faulty/leaky back window? If the motor blew and a piston came out through the hood then I'm sure they would replace the hood because it was damaged by the faulty part, and I feel like this is pretty similar.

It sucks that the $60k Ram truck leaks but the $25k Toyota is dry and problem free.

@RamCares do you have any thoughts?

Last edited:

BackCountryinNJ

banned at member request but still lurking
Reaction score
I don't spend time in the back seat of my crew cab because it's just me and my dog. I went back there today and found the carpet in the back is moldy. Sprayed the truck with water and a slow stream is coming down the back glass. No crack or anything. First appt at the dealer is March 1...my trucks is at 35,500 miles.

So, will ram replace all of my moldy carpet that was the result of the faulty/leaky back window? If the motor blew and a piston came our through the hood then I'm sure they would replace the hood because it was damaged by the faulty part, and I feel like this is pretty similar.

It sucks that the $60k Ram truck leaks but the $25k Toyota is dry and problem free.

It's like a daily occurrence to read about another leaking rear window. Makes me sick that Ram hasn't owned up to it and re-called every truck with a REAL fix.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So, will ram replace all of my moldy carpet that was the result of the faulty/leaky back window? If the motor blew and a piston came out through the hood then I'm sure they would replace the hood because it was damaged by the faulty part, and I feel like this is pretty similar.

Get that leak documented/confirmed with the dealer before the warranty runs out.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the GM trucks have the same issue as they have the same supplier for rear windows.

Pete M

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks so much for tagging us in this! If anyone is experiencing an issue with leaking windows, please DM us! We'd be happy to see how we can assist.

Callie
Ram Cares
I have a 2019 Laramie with 40,000 with Mopar extended warranty (8 years and 100k). Have had headliner staining issue for quite a while. Finally brought it into Chrysler World Pulaski WI. They very briefly looked at the headliner and said 3rd brake light leak. Not covered by warranty. Nothing else they would do. Didn’t even look closely to see if it was the shark fin leaking. Said they had seen this many times. Only fix they suggested was to replace the 3rd brake light assembly at my cost. When I got home I look the 3rd brake light assembly out and looked at it. The gasket was in good shape and didn’t look like it needed replacing. Reading on this forum and on YouTube I see this is a very common issue. What is Ram doing about this.

I had written to RamCares a couple of years ago about the leather on my drivers seat wearing and a small hole forming. You guys wouldn’t do anything about that. Well 20000 miles later the seat hole keeps getting bigger. Pretty disappointing. You can find record of the discussion in my profile on this fourm

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with 40,000 with Mopar extended warranty (8 years and 100k). Have had headliner staining issue for quite a while. Finally brought it into Chrysler World Pulaski WI. They very briefly looked at the headliner and said 3rd brake light leak. Not covered by warranty. Nothing else they would do. Didn’t even look closely to see if it was the shark fin leaking. Said they had seen this many times. Only fix they suggested was to replace the 3rd brake light assembly at my cost. When I got home I look the 3rd brake light assembly out and looked at it. The gasket was in good shape and didn’t look like it needed replacing. Reading on this forum and on YouTube I see this is a very common issue. What is Ram doing about this.

I had written to RamCares a couple of years ago about the leather on my drivers seat wearing and a small hole forming. You guys wouldn’t do anything about that. Well 20000 miles later the seat hole keeps getting bigger. Pretty disappointing. You can find record of the discussion in my profile on this fourm
Hey Pete M,

We're sorry to hear about your experience with Ram Cares and with your headliner staining. We'd be happy to make a goodwill request on your behalf. If you're interested, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Rollint

Reaction score
The local dealer replaced my rear window with the new version (previous version was flush, this one has a weird lip on it) and this one leaks, too! It will probably take another week to replace, which puts the truck at the dealer for two weeks already this year. And the ram/cjdr dealers are so poorly managed in California that they don't have loaner vehicles...my wife has always gotten a loaner at Lexus even for small things oil changes and maintenance.

Attachments

• 20230314_154451.jpg
    20230314_154451.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 42

Havana Joe

Reaction score
The local dealer replaced my rear window with the new version (previous version was flush, this one has a weird lip on it) and this one leaks, too! It will probably take another week to replace, which puts the truck at the dealer for two weeks already this year. And the ram/cjdr dealers are so poorly managed in California that they don't have loaner vehicles...my wife has always gotten a loaner at Lexus even for small things oil changes and maintenance.
Dang i am having the same issue....this thread is not giving me much hope.

dbark

Reaction score

Did they replace the brake light? After my new window leaked worse than the original, they changed the brake light. So far no leak, hopefully that holds up long enough to trade. My dealer in NC also didn't offer a loaner and I didn't appreciate 3 trips in to address this and the way I was treated.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing. Time to take matters to your own hands, permatex for the back window frame and weather seal from Lowes got the third brake light.
As soon as I have time this weekend, I am pulling the headliner and 3rd brake light. Silicone for the interior, flowable silicone for the exterior, and probably a sheet of Flex Seal Tape behind the 3rd brake light. Then I have to replace one of my cab pressure vents and silicone it too.

Antnida

Reaction score
I am suffering from the same issue with lots of rain recently, have an appointment at my local dealer coming Monday, it's under cpo warranty and I also brought the extended warranty so I'll see what's will be the outcome after I brought the truck in.

Users who are viewing this thread