5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LDC2335's Audio Build (CDT, Infinity, Sundown, Sound Deadening, PAC)

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I've posted most of this in the "what did you do to your Ram today" thread, but those posts get buried fast and I get a fair amount of questions about all this so it's nice to have a thread to reference.

I've replaced every speaker in my '19 Bighorn (Factory Alpine system). All factory speakers are rated at 2 Ohms except the sub.

Here's what I got:

- DASH/REAR ROOF: Infinity reference 3.5" 3032CFX.
--- 2 way Coaxial
--- Power Handling = 25W RMS, 75W peak
--- Sensitivity (@ 2.83V) = 91dB
--- Frequency Response =85Hz – 21kHz
--- Impedance= 3.0 ohms

- FRONT DOORS: CDT Slim Carbon fiber CL-69S
--- Mid bass woofer
--- Frequency Response = 42Hz-7000Hz
--- Power handling = 80W RMS, 180W Peak
--- Impedance = 2 ohms
--- Sensitively = 89.4 db

REAR DOORS: CDT Slim Carbon fiber HD-690SEX
--- 2 way Mid bass woofer / tweeter
--- Power Handling = 80W RMS, 180W Peak
--- Impedance = 2 ohms
--- Sensitively = 86. 1db

- FACTORY SUBWOOFER: Left it in place.

- AFTERMARKET SUBWOOFER: SUNDOWN AUDIO E-10V3
--- Speaker type = Subwoofer
--- Power handling = 500W RMS
--- Impedance = Dual 4 ohms wired to 2 ohm.
--- Sensitively = 84 db

- SUBWOOFER ENCLOSURE : CUSTOM/MADE BY ME
--- Built to 0.9 cu ft, reduced to 0.75 based on sundown recommendation

- AMP: ALPINE MRV-M500
--- Mono class D.
--- Actual measured output 527W RMS

- AMP INSTALL KIT: KICKER 46CK4 4 gauge OFC

- FACTORY VEHICLE/SUBWOOFER INTERFACE: PAC APSUB-CH41

- SOUND DEADENING: NOICO 80 mil butyl mat and NOICO 150 mil PE Foam

NOTES:

- DASH: I removed the tweeter from the center channel. I felt it was too bright sounding with all three.

- REAR ROOF: These get tweeter frequencies only. Replacing them did not make a huge difference. They are not a direct fit, you'll have to drill new mounting holes.

- DOORS: I originally had Infinity reference in the rear doors. The high sensitivity and Ohms caused overall system imbalance and power issues. They screamed over the CDT in the front. Ditched them for the CDT rears listed above, which restored power and balance.

- PAC Interface: does not mute the sub when in reverse. Hoping future firmware update will fix. Not a huge deal.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Speakers:

94f4876344a258df1f9226f4ae3984a5.jpg
ceddb9cd935cbbf18474f3750c3337a4.jpg
db6f624cb0fc2f1ead2d3a31f18b57c6.jpg

Ldc2335

Reaction score
So it's either have base or storage
Not really. You have a truck bed, room behind the seats, and the ram bins. I keep a tool bag in the bed with all the essentials. You can definitely build a smaller box too, for a shallow mount. I just already had the sub, so I built a box to fit it.

brother you out did yourself View attachment 114265 :love::love:(y)

Thanks man, I'm very happy with it all.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Excellent job on the custom sub box, looks great. I built my own too, but made it smaller, I need the storage room under the seat and didn't want to lose it all. View attachment 114652 View attachment 114653
that the same reason i did my like yours (y)
Those look good!

I made mine too big and ended up reducing the air space on the inside. I only needed 0.5 to 0.75 cu ft, but ended up closer to 0.9. I don't keep anything but an umbrella under my seat though. I stick a bag or two of groceries under there on occasion. Everything else is in the ram bins (tow strap, jumper cables, tie downs, etc) and I keep a tool bag hooked to a anchor point in the bed.

Last edited:

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those look good!

I made mine too big and ended up reducing the air space on the inside. I only needed 0.5 to 0.75 cu ft, but ended up closer to 0.9. I don't keep anything but an umbrella under my seat though. I stick a bag or two of groceries under there on occasion. Everything else is in the ram bins (tow strap, jumper cables, tie downs, etc) and I keep a tool bag hooked to a anchor point in the bed.

when i remove the stock sub.i decided to make the back seat fold down while i had it all apart

Attachments

• 100_1853.JPG
    100_1853.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_1854.JPG
    100_1854.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_1852.JPG
    100_1852.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 132

Ldc2335

Reaction score
when i remove the stock sub.i decided to make the back seat fold down while i had it all apart
Me too! So far, all I have is an amp back there. Not a ton of room, but enough for a few things. Easy mod!

I just can't stand rattles.. So I don't keep much of anything in the cab, consoles, etc.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I have a similar setup. Did you flip any of those 4 white toggle switches on the PAC at all? It doesn't look like it. I didn't either, but my sub is really quiet until I turn the volume up to about 25. Makes no sense?
No, I didn't flip any toggles.

Hook a laptop to it and change the minimum volume. That should help.

There's a manual way to do it also, but I haven't tried it.
bc8f2ad25bbccc15b1778002fc159f50.jpg
b7380ef38a025f0dbe27724e8ea84137.jpg

Par38lamp

Reaction score
Nice write up and installation!

Did you use any crossovers on your front door mid-woofers and/or dash 3.5". I only see a sub amp, so I'm guessing OEM amplification. How do the CDT speakers sound?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Nice write up and installation!

Did you use any crossovers on your front door mid-woofers and/or dash 3.5". I only see a sub amp, so I'm guessing OEM amplification. How do the CDT speakers sound?
Sorry, just seeing this. The dash on the alpine system is already crossed over, so I didn't need to add one.

The CDT are awesome. You may lose a little bass and volume as the factory amp isn't powerful enough to really push them to thier capability. They sound really clean and with no distortion. I'd do it all again for sure.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Well you inspired me to add sound deadening to the back of my cab. I used Kilmat 80mil and decided not to use the high density foam that I bought after watching a few review videos.

There was a rattle/buzz at 1700 and 3200rpm in the back of my cab that was driving me to the point of wanting to sell the truck. Now the decibels are down and the buzz and drone are gone. So worth the effort. * I have a Borla Touring exhaust with AFE headers and ANC is disabled due to random static in rear headliner speakers.

I cut my teeth as a mechanic wrenching on old Mercedes. That is a high benchmark to compare build quality of all other vechicles. MB’s of the 60’s-90s’ have vault-like doors so it’s a quality that has high importance on my check list. The rear doors on this truck do sound cheap and so I removed the seatbelt in the c-pillars and added Kilmat to the backside of the entire cavity and back of the strike plate. Additionally I packed the cavity with poly-fill from an old dog bed😂. That column doesn’t sound like thick German steel but it is MUCH improved. I can’t wait to add sound deadening to the doors.

I’ve built full stereo systems in past vehicles, but I’d rather just improve components in this truck. I’ll be ordering some CTD 6x9s soon based upon positive reviews from this forum.
Thanks for your posts 3949D546-58F3-4324-A884-33DD23434879.jpeg

davidn0021

Reaction score
I'm pondering upgrading just the door speakers to the CDTs you've listed. Any issues with ANC? I currently don't have my factory sub hooked up (hated the muddy bass).

Users who are viewing this thread