5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie vs. Big Horn?

Reaction score
I'm going nuts trying to find a decently equipped Laramie, which is to say one with an anti-spin diff at the least.

Any Ca dealer that cut me a deal on a factory order, PM me now.

So anyway, I'm starting to think about the Big Horn, with the level-1 or 2 equipment groups, and the V8.

What's the downside with the Big Horn? No leather? Is that it? Are they louder inside?

The deals and rebates are pretty compelling.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was between the two and honestly I could have gotten a Laramie for the same price or even slightly cheaper as I had to add on a lot of the options like LED Lights, Alpine, blind spot where all standard on the Laramie. I just didn't want Leather so I got a big horn. I don't think the Laramie has any extra sound insulation or anything as my big horn is pretty quiet.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same boat as @Biga, sticker on my Big Horn was more than many Laramies I seen as I wanted it equipped to my specs and I just don’t like the styling of the Laramie interior.

I have had leather in a couple of vehicles and it’s something I always regretted getting. Passenger power seat as well as cooled seats would be neat but something that isn’t a must have for me. Laramie also gets reclining rear seats I think? or is that just limited?

As for mechanics and build, no difference, it’s just options and style.

bdm219

Reaction score
I also have a Big Horn, I looked at the Laramie and didn't care for the interior. I actually prefer cloth instead of leather in a truck. My truck is very quiet inside.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Weird because I really prefered the laramie interior over the big horn. Also I really wanted the harmon kardon sound system and the gloss black trim around the infotainment screen vs the very cheap looking black plastic, but to each their own. All the trims from the tradesman up to the limited are equally as quiet when tested by TFL.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird because I really prefered the laramie interior over the big horn. Also I really wanted the harmon kardon sound system and the gloss black trim around the infotainment screen vs the very cheap looking black plastic, but to each their own. All the trims from the tradesman up to the limited are equally as quiet when tested by TFL.

Radio surround in my Big Horn is the gloss black, not a Laramie thing for that, the radio dictates the bezel.

768mph

Reaction score
Radio surround in my Big Horn is the gloss black, not a Laramie thing for that, the radio dictates the bezel.
Yes, if you have factory NAV it’ll be gloss and protrude. No factory NAV, flat black and recessed.

Siscoster

Reaction score
I was torn as well when I ordered and decided if I’m gonna pay Laramie price on a BigHorn just to get My 7.0 cluster with 8.4 non Nav. Why not bump up and get leather plus ambient lighting, and with the sport appearance package you get a sweet looking hood upgrade!
I say Laramie over Big Horn all day for me.

Mark313

Reaction score
Bought a BigHorn due to the not wanting the cooled seats since I was going to put seat covers on, due to my dogs. Also not a fan of fender flares just rust collectors. All I wanted was the 8.4 screen which I had in my previous two Grand Cherokee's, heated seats, heated steering well, running boards, front and rears sensors and twenty inch wheels...all found on the Bighorn..oh and the Hemi!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was comparing trim level to trim level, what made my ultimate decision was that the Laramie had fake stitching on the dash. How could you possibly make something so beautiful, so fake? While the Laramie has a couple of neat options, there is that threshold where you have to decide if the model is a bump in truck or a bump in stature.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can satisfy your must haves with the Bighorn then go for that. You’ll have some pocket money for mods lol.

I had to have leather, front bench seats and air ride suspension so my only option was a Laramie.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thought is simple, we all have separate needs and doing one version over the other does not lessen the ones not chosen. Oh wow I sounded pretty wise with that one lol.

Ah! Truth.

Here is another perspective:

16RamHemi

Reaction score
I agree the bighorn is biggest bang for the buck. I thought about leather but not needed. The cloth interior is pretty sharp. I dont understand why the sport hood is not in the sports appearance package or at least an add on. And why can i not order a bighorn with any wheels i want (cant build that way online at least). And still no ramboxes for 6'4 beds? Its the same opening just longer.

EddieP

Reaction score
16RamHemi, I agree with you on being able to order a la carte. It would be nice to pick and choose individual options without having to pick an expensive package. I would have liked the power running boards but had to purchase the Level 2 EQ package to get them. Big money. I do think the Big Horn is the best bang for the buck.

alow

Reaction score
I went with the Bighorn before I knew the rear seats didnt recline. With that said its not a feature I'll likely miss. I dont normally have passengers in the rear and the most likely passengers back there are kids in car seats.

It really breaks down to what you want for options. The Laramie may make sense if its close pricewise but if not then the Bighorn is quite nice. I dont regret it personally but my options are available in both packages. Option it out and see what works for you.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Anyone know why the sport hood is not included for the bighorn? For $2500 you get sport app pkg (with hood), with leather, (heated and cooled), heated wheel, blk wheels, etc. But only on Laramie. Id gladly pay that on a bighorn vs 1200 for the sport appearance pkg you can get with that. Just make no sense to me. So you can special order but only order certain items. Im hoping some of these things become available when im ready to order (although i admit, if the 6'4 ramboxes were available now id probably have ordered and save up for sport hood.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just got what I wanted and then added the “ Sport hood “ afterwards.

Attachments

• 18053586-AD28-4FE9-A3CE-935E80E5C490.jpeg
    18053586-AD28-4FE9-A3CE-935E80E5C490.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 110
  • 4EA2FF96-8736-47FC-83D3-29E461B0C070.jpeg
    4EA2FF96-8736-47FC-83D3-29E461B0C070.jpeg
    806.9 KB · Views: 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/