5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Sport vs Rebel, appearance wise/ride quality, is the only difference the grill/rim + tires?

Reaction score
100% sold on the RAM line but between Laramie sport and Rebels (the Rebel selection at the auctions is very slim for anything over the basic packages). From what I can tell from looking at images, the Laramie sport (literally the laramie that says sport on the side) has the same hood as the rebel, but not the fender guards, wheels (rim and tire), and grill.

I really love the look of the rebel, but I don't think I need to spend the extra cash to have that same look, will a Laramie with a rebelesque grill and off-road tires AND fender flares look the same or pretty close to the rebel? Also, the Laramie sport I'm looking at has all the bells and whistles, including air suspension (I'm in Florida so cold not an issue) split tailgate and ram boxes, for cheaper than most of the basic Rebels at the auction.

My other question is:

I test drove both of these vehicles and I felt good in both, I know many have said the upgraded suspension is really nice on the Rebel vs big horn, but compared to lets say the air suspension (which I assume on the rebel is the same as the adjustable air suspension on the Laramie sport) is the ride quality the same? A big thing for me is I wanted a vehicle that is extremely comfortable for long hauls, so I don't want to end up going through with my new Laramie idea and then not be getting the best ride comfort possible.

For those of you who are going to point out the off-road capability of the rebel, realistically it would most likely be wasted on me. I like the off-road look, but more than likely won't be doing more than a typical SUV could handle.

For comparison
Laramie sport on the left, rebel on the right.

Attachments

• laramie sport.jpg
    laramie sport.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 127
  • rebel.jpg
    rebel.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 126

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think exterior, it's the grill front & rear bumper finishes (crinkle powder coat like), 33" A/T tires and non-painted fender flares. Interior can vary, traditional Rebel is the red trim, with vinyl seats/fabric inserts, misc. Rebel badges & start-up gauge animation.

Suspension is Bilstein tuned shocks & revised springs (not sure how the air suspension is setup with that) rear e-locker, hill descent. Drivetrain adds a mandatory 3.92 rear axle.

If you want the most comfort and best long haul driving, I wouldn't recommend the Rebel. Though very comfortable, those 33" tires will be wasted on that, factor in the axle ratio as well and you are going to get pretty bad mpg unless you take it really easy.

I would get the cheaper alternative and modify to the look you prefer, especially if the more off-road focused Rebel package isn't something you are likely to use.

Reaction score
I think exterior, it's the grill front & rear bumper finishes (crinkle powder coat like), 33" A/T tires and non-painted fender flares. Interior can vary, traditional Rebel is the red trim, with vinyl seats/fabric inserts, misc. Rebel badges & start-up gauge animation.

Suspension is Bilstein tuned shocks & revised springs (not sure how the air suspension is setup with that) rear e-locker, hill descent. Drivetrain adds a mandatory 3.92 rear axle.

If you want the most comfort and best long haul driving, I wouldn't recommend the Rebel. Though very comfortable, those 33" tires will be wasted on that, factor in the axle ratio as well and you are going to get pretty bad mpg unless you take it really easy.

I would get the cheaper alternative and modify to the look you prefer, especially if the more off-road focused Rebel package isn't something you are likely to use.
Is there a way to tell the axle from vin? The Laramie I am looking at is VIN: 1C6SRFJT0LN150215

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure, here is the build sheet site for FCA, just plug in the vin & will show you everything that's on the truck. Just checked to axle for you, it's a 3.21. Though with regular street tires, 3.92 isn't bad. It's the combo of the 3.92, 33" A/T, no air dam & slightly higher ride height worked together to give the Rebel less than ideal mpg.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with @SD Rebel. If you're not going to take advantage of the off-road capabilities then go with the Laramie. With the Rebel you miss out on ventilated seats, which are really nice in my opinion. You also miss out on the surround view camera if you go with a Rebel.

I think this truck is the most comfortable one I've ridden in, but I'm used to old trucks with leaf springs. Never compared it to an air suspension Ram (couldn't find one), and it's a little more stiff than my co-worker's non ORG Laramie. Although the interiors are the same seat-comfort-wise.

Over 10.5k miles I have tested MPG's quite a bit. If your driving consists mainly of 60 mph speeds you'll see upwards of 19 mpg with the Rebel. If you're going 70+ expect 15-16, in the city expect 12-14. These are my personal numbers, and you can see that some others have had better/worse in their Rebels.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Post removed.

Last edited:

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I was once in the same scenario. I previously had a 2014 sport and I loved that truck but ended up trading it in for a 2020 Rebel. I test drove a 2020 sport, though without air suspension, and it drove nice but I preferred how the Rebel felt on the road (highway included) even with the Duratracs. You can get an aftermarket rebel style grille and get the Laramie sport to look similar to the Rebel but not identical.

I had the vented seats on my '14 and while I did use them it's a feature that I can personally live without. There are others who have added them after the fact though. The 360 camera was another feature that I can live without. Again, there are ways to add it after though not cheap or easy to do. I never bought the Rebel primarily for the off-road capabilities either but they will be utilized for sure. I bet I'll spend at least 50% of my driving on the highway.

Buying a truck is a big purchase so my best advice to you is don't rush, take your time to evaluate what will be best for you. What features you want and which you can live without. The last thing you want is some form of buyer's remorse. I personally love my Rebel and have zero regrets not getting another sport. We're all different though and what I like you may not!

Based on the info you provided on preferences and what's available in your area it sounds like you would be better off with the Sport if you were to buy right now. If you aren't in a big rush you could also submit a build through your dealer and get a truck built with every feature you want. Either way, good luck with the purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread