5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kooks 1-3/4" SS HEADERS & GREEN Y-PIPE. 2019-2020 RAM 1500 5.7L. CONNECTS TO OEM sku:3520H230

JeffJr

Reaction score
These headers and green cat y-pipes are amazing and are very good quality. My buddy and I put them on Saturday and wasn't too hard. Started at 10:30 am and finished by 2:30 pm, so about 4 hours total. The most time consuming part was putting the bolts and tightening them on the headers. Took about 30 min to remove the stock exhaust manifold and y-pipes. The only hard part was tightening the bottom middle header bolt on the driver side. Super tight area to get hands in and patiently tightening it little at a time. Also I decided to use the stock header gaskets because of the extra heatshield material and cause the truck is brand new, but probably should of used the gasket that came from kooks cause the stock gasket made tightening the bolts harder cause of the lack of space to work. After the headers were installed the rest of the pieces were easy to install and was a breeze. After the install it definitely made the truck sound even more alive accompanied with my Mopar cat back exhaust and Mopar RAM Air cold air intake. What's even better, no tune or modifications needed, everything was bolt on. No check engine lights and the truck drives even better then before. I will post a short video on YouTube after install sound.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200215-181711_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-181711_Video Player.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 450
  • Screenshot_20200215-181744_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-181744_Video Player.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 438
  • Screenshot_20200215-181838_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-181838_Video Player.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 431

JeffJr

Reaction score
No drone at all and my Mopar cat back exhaust was loud before and after putting these new headers and green catted y-pipes on......omg! Feels faster and sounds even louder. I love driving my truck and now I love it even more! Definitely had fun installing it too. After a few days of driving and breaking in these new pipe should definitely make it even better. I'll post a video tomorrow with the sound and everything.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score

kmblackbear

Reaction score
Any chance of a video? Love to hear it before and after with the Mopar exhaust. Have/will you dyno it to see the increase? I'd love to put a set of headers on this Summer. Kooks are double what everyone else is asking but seem to be made very well.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
^^^^You can talk with Matt at moes performance. Probably get ArHs set up for a 1/3rd of that cost
Yea I have been looking at ARH too. I also saw another brand Stainlessworks has them too. Both are 1/2 or a 1/3 of the Kooks. Kooks are nice but that extra $1500 could go toward a lot of other upgrades or pay for half of a lift kit lol

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea Kooks is awfully proud of their stuff. As long as its made with quality metal and good welds that is all you need. ARH and SW are both great options.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Seems very expensive for what it is. Wouldn’t cost much more to add a Supercharger for a lot more power. But to each their own

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ at this point warranty, if cared about. That is for the most part out the door. If all the aftermarket people I have talked to say the 5th gens really wake it up with mods is true.
For the money unlocked ecm with custom engine and trans tune removed torque management. It would probably be pretty exciting to drive all on its own.
Regardless, I truly do enjoy mods and others modding and chatting about it. I still give props to you OP for trying something new and letting us all in on it (y) thank you

JeffJr

Reaction score
I found my video I made while I was installing the kooks headers. I was going to film the whole install but forgot too and I had just realized it after I pulled the stock Manifold off. So I just made a video of all the kooks parts after prepping it before installing them into the truck. Here's the link to the video, also I will post a new cold start and more sound video tomorrow. Thanks!

BlkDmndDT

Reaction score
I found my video I made while I was installing the kooks headers. I was going to film the whole install but forgot too and I had just realized it after I pulled the stock Manifold off. So I just made a video of all the kooks parts after prepping it before installing them into the truck. Here's the link to the video, also I will post a new cold start and more sound video tomorrow. Thanks!

I am looking at these now. I like the no code throw and hp/torque claims. Have had my 5th gen for a month hah. Did you go with the 1 7/8 or 1 3/4? Interested in hearing your sound video. The kooks website sound is really amplified to make the stock exhaust sound pumped.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1 3/4 if your just going FBO. 7/8 if you plan to cam, or boost
Edit: 1 3/4 would be just fine for DD level cams too. Should be more specific.

Last edited:

BlkDmndDT

Reaction score
1 3/4 if your just going FBO. 7/8 if you plan to cam, or boost
Thanks! On stage one until the powertrain warranty is close to or done. Have the ram air, and pulsar at the moment. And dont want to tag the pcm as automatic warranty void here. That's why the kooks is really appealing. ARH and SW are beauties also, sound amazing and work well(following Cammed Ram, Hot D@mn Ram and Frostbite Ram on utube), but require tunes unlocking pcm(as far as I gather). Pricey, but I think that's the extra catalyst material in the green cats. 400 count instead of 200 count. Headers themselves or with off road pipe aren't that much different from other quality headers. I really enjoyed this thread about a mod I am looking into, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread