5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob & Physical Key Questions

BTS_Elko

Reaction score
Just picked up a used 22 1500 Laramie which of course only came with one key.

I’d like to get a second key fob, but I’d also like to get another physical key cut to put ‘in’ that new fob.

I know I can get a key fob from a variety of sources but how can I get a new physical key cut…or is this even possible?

I see a ton of part #’s for ‘Integrated Key Fob Transmitter’…does anyone know the correct part number for the physical key?

Also, does anyone know if MOPAR sells a kit to replace the door and tailgate latch key cylinders?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I’d like to get a second key fob, but I’d also like to get another physical key cut to put ‘in’ that new fob.

I know I can get a key fob from a variety of sources but how can I get a new physical key cut…or is this even possible?

I see a ton of part #’s for ‘Integrated Key Fob Transmitter’…does anyone know the correct part number for the physical key?

Also, does anyone know if MOPAR sells a kit to replace the door and tailgate latch key cylinders?
Most am replacement FOBs come with a blank key. Then just have a locksmith program and cut the key. It's not that difficult.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

if i would have purchased a used vehicle and it only had one fob i would have the dealer delete all fobs and start fresh. IMO, you never know when that fob will show up and take your truck.

BTS_Elko

Reaction score
Appreciate the insight from everyone! I am pretty paranoid about only having one key.

So if I am reading this correctly the dealer can ‘wipe’ any existing keys from my truck’s system and render them non-functional. Then I would buy 2 new keys, have the dealer program them and have a locksmith cut two new physical keys?

Then, if someone has the other original key they might be able to physically get into the truck through the manual key but they could not start it…?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Appreciate the insight from everyone! I am pretty paranoid about only having one key.

So if I am reading this correctly the dealer can ‘wipe’ any existing keys from my truck’s system and render them non-functional. Then I would buy 2 new keys, have the dealer program them and have a locksmith cut two new physical keys?

Then, if someone has the other original key they might be able to physically get into the truck through the manual key but they could not start it…?
Yes, they can get in it, but there is no key hole for them to start it. The horn will also sound because the alarm will go off when opening the door with the key. Unless someone very easily disconnects the horn in 5 seconds like thieves do.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

No need to buy two new keyfobsz unless you want three. They can clear the existing fobbs off, and reprogram the one you have to work plus add a new one.

BTS_Elko

Reaction score
No need to buy two new keyfobsz unless you want three. They can clear the existing fobbs off, and reprogram the one you have to work plus add a new one.
Ok, that is awesome, I just assumed you could not re-set an existing fob to a new "frequency" or "band" or however that works.
Anyone have any idea what the correct part number is for key fob and key?
My truck has remote start and power release tailgate and the key with both.

I see 10+ part #s all of which seem to be a "fit" for my truck:

Marine6212

Reaction score
Those are the wrong key fobs for our trucks
Just typed in 2022 Ram, might have to search the website for correct one. It doesn't show the correct key for my 23 ram at first I had to search for the right one.

jkp94

Reaction score
I imagine the physical key for the truck is linked to the VIN, I know with one of my previous cars I had no physical key for it and had new ones made by VIN at the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread