5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Katzkin durability and fitment questions

frankd

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn with black appearance package and I'm thinking of having the Katzkin leather installed. The dealer wanted $1,800. A Katzkin authorized installation place was around $1,500. I was thinking of taking the seats out and bringing it to them to save a few bucks.
With that being said, I have heard mixed things about the long term durability of Katzkins. I didnt look into other brands because it seems like Katzkin has some sort of partnership with FCA so I'd think they'd offer the best fit and quality.
Has anyone had their leather in a vehicle for more than a few years? if so, how does it hold up? Also, does the fitment look stock? I've seen some pictures where the leather was bunched up or just didnt look right. Not sure if that's an installation issue or product issue.
I couldnt find too many threads on this forum but from the ones that I've seen... the reviews were all positive.
Any insight would be appreciated. thanks!

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
I had a katzkin leather interior installed in my 2007 Yukon XL back in the day and I loved it. When I sold the truck 5 years later. The leather was still in great condition.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From my bit of research, a good smooth install comes from a good installer with the right tools (heat and cold used to fix the fit I think). It is possible to do the install yourself, after learning how to apply the hog clips that hold the covers down, but the fit likely won’t be perfectly smooth.

My wife’s RAV4 has 4 year old Katzkin seats and they look and feel really awesome, and completely stock except for the little tag. I plan to pay the big bucks (when I have the big bucks) for a full leather install, with seat heat and ventilation.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great product and they have a lot of configuration options. I installed a set on a 2007 Charger and they fit like a glove. The install was super easy, the hardest part was getting the old hog clips off the stock covers. Only took me about 2 hours total including taking the seats out and putting them back in. If you're going to take the seats out yourself that's half the battle.

It's been a few years, but back then it saved me about $1,000.

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Katzkin only offers heat I think... I looked at another product/brand - leatherseats.com - looks nice and offers a heat/vent kit but I haven’t found any independent reviews yet.

Truckin

Reaction score
I put Katzkin in my 2016 Lonestar within just a few days of purchase and it still looked great three years and 75,000 miles later when I traded it for my Longhorn...Anyone thinking about installation will not regret it!

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
I put the Outlaw in my 2014 Bighorn and prefer the Katskin to my 2019 Larimie
Got them online and found a local installer
And was under 1000 for everything
If you are in Colorado let me know as i have his contact information somewhere

TVANVA

Reaction score
I just completed the conversion of my Big Horn Deluxe Cloth seats to Katzkin Leather.

I am really impressed with the quality, and I'm sure, at the very minimum, it matches the factory leather, but probably exceeds it. The fit is excellent, with very few wrinkles, and those are quickly disappearing now that we have warmer weather and the sun/heat are relaxing the leather. I could probably hurry the wrinkle relaxation with a little steam treatment, but I'm in no rush. I would say the "fitment" is "factory".

I'll include some shots here. I expect a few will wrinkle their noses for not being "all black everywhere", but the blue "wings" complement the Blue Streak paint and sport trim very well. Not a perfect match, but closer than some of the pictures suggest. I could have easily toned it down by just going with the blue piping/stitching, but that would have been a custom order, adding about $500 to the price.

The cost was $800 (plus a pair of hog ring pliers) since I supplied all the labor. This was purchased on eBay. Install took a week, working a few hours a day of spare time.

I took a ton of pictures and notes, so one rainy day, I'll post a reasonable how to. I did find some RAM/Katzkin Youtube videos, which were generally helpful, although the details have changed with the 2019 models.

Attachments

• front_ds.JPG
    front_ds.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 563
  • front_ps3.JPG
    front_ps3.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 539
  • rear_ds.JPG
    rear_ds.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 529
  • rear_ds3.JPG
    rear_ds3.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 519
  • front_ds_backside.JPG
    front_ds_backside.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 517

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Man,

Sometimes I wonder if I should had saved some money and got a BigHorn and installed this for the leather. I have a feeling it would come out better, and save me close to $15,000

The only thing I wish they had was heated/cooled front/rear seats that could function on the big horn trim.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just completed the conversion of my Big Horn Deluxe Cloth seats to Katzkin Leather.

I am really impressed with the quality, and I'm sure, at the very minimum, it matches the factory leather, but probably exceeds it. The fit is excellent, with very few wrinkles, and those are quickly disappearing now that we have warmer weather and the sun/heat are relaxing the leather. I could probably hurry the wrinkle relaxation with a little steam treatment, but I'm in no rush. I would say the "fitment" is "factory".

I'll include some shots here. I expect a few will wrinkle their noses for not being "all black everywhere", but the blue "wings" complement the Blue Streak paint and sport trim very well. Not a perfect match, but closer than some of the pictures suggest. I could have easily toned it down by just going with the blue piping/stitching, but that would have been a custom order, adding about $500 to the price.

The cost was $800 (plus a pair of hog ring pliers) since I supplied all the labor. This was purchased on eBay. Install took a week, working a few hours a day of spare time.

I took a ton of pictures and notes, so one rainy day, I'll post a reasonable how to. I did find some RAM/Katzkin Youtube videos, which were generally helpful, although the details have changed with the 2019 models.
That looks great, nice work! Now based on their website I thought Katzkin only sold through installers... how did you buy it so you could install em yourself?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Katzkin only offers heat I think... I looked at another product/brand - leatherseats.com - looks nice and offers a heat/vent kit but I haven’t found any independent reviews yet.
UPDATE: They offer a heat/vent thermo-electric device (TED) option just like leatherseats.com does. Looks like the same unit actually. Anyone ever use a TED, and can you give an idea for how ho5 and how cool they get compared to traditional heating pads and AC/blower units?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My question is; is there an option for doing the "standard bench" in a big horn? I specifically ordered bench because I prefer the extra seat, but would love to do Katzkin on the full interior.

TVANVA

Reaction score
That looks great, nice work! Now based on their website I thought Katzkin only sold through installers... how did you buy it so you could install em yourself?

I purchased it on eBay. Do a search for "Ram Katzkin". I feel confident I did buy from an installer (and a quick Google search seems to confirm that). I'm pretty sure this is a "kit" that Katzkin or the installer keep "in stock" (versus having full custom covers made). There are only limited selections available. The ones on eBay look just like the "standard" configurations that you can view on the Katzkin Web Site (the ones where they say "print out the sheet and take this to your installer").

When doing my research, I did come across a Katzkin reseller or two, but it looks like they just prompt you for all the information you would give for a custom set of covers, then they just pass it on to Katzkin. The price this reseller gave after I put in all my requirements was around $1300. Needless to say, I went with the $800 eBay kit.

TVANVA

Reaction score
My question is; is there an option for doing the "standard bench" in a big horn? I specifically ordered bench because I prefer the extra seat, but would love to do Katzkin on the full interior.

Interesting question!

In the box, there were more pieces of leather covers than I had seats. When I was done, I had what looked like a small bottom, back, and a flattened sheet that looked like it might cover an armrest. I think this is for the bench seat, if that bench seat is like the one in my Dakota where it is actually three sections all bolted together.

What I found was that the kit didn't have anything to cover my center console lid between my bench seats. I'm going to have my local upholstery shop stitch me up something to match and install it (it takes a special 1/8" leg staple to attach it, and none of my pneumatic guns will do anything that small). By the time I bought a gun and staplers I would shell out more than this will cost.

I would be glad to shoot some picks of the leftover covers if you want to eyeball your bench seat to see if that is what they would fit.

onelochevy

Reaction score

Man that looks fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread