5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just trying to have some fun

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
My son has a 4X4 that see's the dirt on a regular basis (not a ram :( )

I do not have a 4X4 so my truck does not see the dirt

out of 2406 members only 56 have a 4X2 like me

so my question is how many of you have a pavement princess (a 4X4 that has all the equipment but never sees the dirt)

If your truck see's the dirt post your best picture.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
My truck is a bit of both. It is my daily driver, but also tows a TT regularly. I also use it on some pretty rough dirt roads to camp, fish, and shoot. No rock crawling, but nothing I would attempt with a sedan either. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures as I'm too busy driving it to take photos. :)

nitmik

Reaction score
I had a 19 big horn, never saw any dirt. Now a 22 limited and I'm sure it will never see dirt. I feel like the they would turn into rattle boxes if you off-road them often.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck goes "off road" in the sense that it goes up/down boat ramps (sometimes wet and slippery), and pulls my trailer through grassy campsites etc. Not to mention Canadian winters.

You can't even buy a 2 wheel drive Jeep in Canada (they don't sell them), I believe you can still order a 2wd Ram but there are literally none on the road unless you factory order it.

I do not "rock crawl" or go off road as a sport in and of itself.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

so my question is how many of you have a pavement princess (a 4X4 that has all the equipment but never sees the dirt)

My truck falls into that category. I rarely if ever go off road anymore. Maybe when I retire and spend more time fishing, and need to get to some more remote fishing holes. My reason for getting 4x4 is because we get some nasty winter weather where I live. And my road is one of the last roads to get plowed.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
funny you mentioned this now...just today for the very first time I had to put my Limited into 4Lo to back my trailer up a snow covered hill, loaded with equipment. Didn't take any pics though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

You're in Socal, tons of 2WD trucks running off-road here, where in many cases all you need is a set of all-terrain tires and a rear locker. Not rock crawling, but hitting overlanding trails, truck trails on mountain roads, open desert (not deep sand), you can have a lot of fun with a 2WD.

Also, where did you get that 56 out of 2406 number? That can't be right, because based on sales of full size trucks, it's about an even split of 2WD vs 4WD. Even if this site biased towards 4WD owners, it's should still be in the hundreds of 2WD members.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
You're in Socal, tons of 2WD trucks running off-road here, where in many cases all you need is a set of all-terrain tires and a rear locker. Not rock crawling, but hitting overlanding trails, truck trails on mountain roads, open desert (not deep sand), you can have a lot of fun with a 2WD.

Also, where did you get that 56 out of 2406 number? That can't be right, because based on sales of full size trucks, it's about an even split of 2WD vs 4WD. Even if this site biased towards 4WD owners, it's should still be in the hundreds of 2WD members.
forum members from the tracker only

just wanting to have some fun to see who buys a 4X4 and never takes it off road or put it in 4X4

my grandson said to ask because of this, pavement princess (a 4X4 that has all the equipment but never sees the dirt)

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
forum members from the tracker only

just wanting to have some fun to see who buys a 4X4 and never takes it off road or put it in 4X4

my grandson said to ask because of this, pavement princess (a 4X4 that has all the equipment but never sees the dirt)

Oh gotcha, need to work on my reading comprehension.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm not an off-road guy so I bought a truck more suited to my realistic uses.

20190313_175636.jpg

My truck is only off-road when in the parking area of runway race events or track days. It only needs to tow my car which it does with ease and I've yet to run into a situation where 4x4 is necessary. If I had a boat, I'd have bought 4x4 due to slippery boat ramps.
Looking at the responses thus far, I made the right decision and as for traction, during Dallas's ice/snow event last week, my 2wd truck did just fine.

Anarki

Reaction score
400 miles on the G/T and took it to an extended families farm. We just had an ice storm here in Texas and everything was a mess. When pulling into the place, everyone in the truck was yelling at me for taking it in the mud... I was confused as to what was going on!

The trucks not overly muddy, nor did I need any 4wd, and it was fun sliding around a bit :)

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Did you ever consider 4x4 isnt only for offroad?

4wd is useful for more things than just going "muddin", if you live anywhere that gets snow its pretty much a necessity.

I find amusement when people always get angry at people lowering their 4x4 trucks.

Last edited:

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Did you ever consider 4x4 isnt only for offroad?

4wd is useful for more things than just going "muddin", if you live anywhere that gets snow its pretty much a necessity.

I find amusement when people always get angry at people lowering their 4x4 trucks.
^ this. Living in the NE, 4x4 is necessary every winter to get around all the cars that collect at the bottom of nearly every snow covered hill on my commute. If it's really bad I'm able to stick to the unplowed back roads in hopes of avoiding all the road rage in the snow.

Reactions: Ros

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine's 4wd, and the most dirt she's seen is the few hundred foot dirt driveway leading upto the polebarn or the misc. driving around the small piece of property, around the polebarn, doing yard work.

I bought the 4x4 for the few times a years we get actual snow in South Jersey / Southeastern PA. The part about being able to use the 4x4 Auto whenever the roads aren't perfectly dry is just a bonus.

Resale also seems to be better on a 4wd and they tend to sell faster.

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
While I don't use 4WD often, I bought the feature for the ability to put the transfer case in neutral. I pull the truck behind a motorhome, and this is one of the few vehicles remaining that you can successfully pull with all 4 wheels down without any damage to the drivetrain.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let me clarify to myself what you are asking.

You want to hear about the pavement princess.

You want pics of those who use them in the dirt.

Does it have to be a 5th Gen 1500?

Users who are viewing this thread