5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Bought the 2021 North Edition asked dealer for Best Leveling kit and they tried to sell me some 85.00 Spacers?

Blackhat

Reaction score
This is my 4th Ram and Have always Leveled with the Bilsteins. I asked the dealership because this was a North Edition and was Supposedly already equipped with a 1 inch Lift. What the best way to level the Truck and not Void any warranty. They told Me Spacers from Rough country,
I'm not a Huge fan of Spacers! I just want to level the Truck, Has anyone done Spacer on the North Edition or ORP. Does it affect the ride is there a better option? I'm sure this has been asked but I read for like an hour thru Suspension and couldn't find any thing. I want to Level the Truck only, No Lift kits Wife not a fan of getting a ladder to get in the Truck(HA HA)

Last edited:

Pristine1

Reaction score
This is my 4th Ram and Have always Leveled with the Bilsteins. I asked the dealership because this was a North Edition and was Supposedly already equipped with a 1 inch Lift. What the best way to level the Truck and not Void any warranty. They told Me Spacers from Rough country,
I'm not a Huge fan of Spacers! I just want to level the Truck, Has anyone done Spacer on the North Edition or ORP. Does it affect the ride is there a better option? I'm sure this has been asked but I read for like an hour thru Suspension and couldn't find any thing. I want to Level the Truck only, No Lift kits Wife not a fan of getting a ladder to get in the Truck(HA HA)
I’m in the same boat with the ORP. I don’t plan to go full level though for towing purposes. Just want an inch or inch and a half. Was thinking small spacer and call it good for now. I like the way the truck rides so far. Figured a small spacer wouldn’t effect the ride as much. Bilstein have always been love hate for me. Maybe some 6112’s but Id be attempted to spend some real money on coil overs though. Where the ORP/ North Edition guys with spacers at?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on a set of bilstein 5100's I would recommend that route. A spacer typically is known for a rougher ride. 5100's will give you a slightly different ride in the sense that the truck won't feel like a boat going over bumps, the 5100's are a bit stiffer.

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
cheapest and easiest is spacers, but as others mentioned ride can be impacted. Next option would be adjustable front struts like the Bilstein 5100s. I have the 5100's and recommend that route. With the 5100s you have 5 settings for the factory 1" lift. There are other choices as well for struts, Bilstein has a good reputation and they are priced right. Side not though if you use the max setting the ride will be stiffer, at least it is in mine.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Motofab sells a 1" leveling strut top mount spacer. Obviously no change to ride.

Blackhat

Reaction score
Explanation from Dealer ( When you add a Rough Country Spacer to the Stock Strut You are essentially doing the same thing as the Bilsteins you are compressing the Spring to achieve lift.) I mean they are correct in that Aspect... I still believe there is a Difference! I'd have to lay them side by side, I'm just confused on why after 3 previous Trucks I bought they always recommended the Bilsteins and now they are Pushing the Spacers. All I said was I want to not Void any Warranty but want a level Truck

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$85 dealer retail sounds correct. They are $55 from RC. Shock spacers on an ORP spring will ride very stiff, but top mount spacers do not affect the spring preload at all. There may be a few different thicknesses available.
Capture.PNG

Pristine1

Reaction score
$85 dealer retail sounds correct. They are $55 from RC. Shock spacers on an ORP spring will ride very stiff, but top mount spacers do not affect the spring preload at all. There may be a few different thicknesses available.
View attachment 87812
I haven’t been able to find a 1 inch lift. eBay had some generic one inch last time I checked that i can’t trust. there’s 1 inch for the rear coils. Then Moto fab has one that says 1/2 inch of lift On their site for the front.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t been able to find a 1 inch lift. eBay had some generic one inch last time I checked that i can’t trust. there’s 1 inch for the rear coils. Then Moto fab has one that says 1/2 inch of lift On their site for the front.
Sorry, that 1/2" is probably what I was thinking of. Good luck.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
View attachment 87812
Top spacers can affect a lot more components in your suspension. See if the visuals can help you and others like you reading this stuff. 1/2" top spacers are ok. 2-3" are not. you're overextending components that were not designed to move down that much within your IFS.

Adding preload to the springs is in fac tthe same concept Bilstein or Eibach or any other adjustable strut or coilover in the market employ to achieve more lift. Don't be cheap, go with adjustable struts at least. your components will appreciate it mid to long term :)

1618271056271.png

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a very nice shock maker advertisement. The problem with the left picture and the explanation is that with strut top mount spacers, you still have all of the factory travel and spring rate, simply moved down. It is not restricted as the left pic states. Most people, having read even a couple pages in the "Update" thread, understand why the new upper control arms with revised ball joint angles are needed with any form of lift, for the extension. Mopar requires new ball joint angles with their 2" kit, but interestingly, from plain 4x2 to ORP 1", they use the same arms.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with the dealer. Spacers are THE way to go.

First of all, with spacers you always know exactly how much lift you'll get. Secondly, the North Edition comes with upgraded shocks, so by going Bilstein you're throwing that R&D money and factory quality out the window. Thirdly, with spacers you'll maintain more of the ride comfort. Fourth, it did not require me to disassemble the strut assembly.

I did the Street Rays 1.5" spacers from eBay. $25 and after 14 months and 15,000 miles I've had ZERO issues with them. I drive rough roads, tow, haul, the whole nine yards. Truck is perfectly level front to rear at the fenders and looks perfect. Alignment was still in spec, and tires are wearing good.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with the dealer. Spacers are THE way to go.

First of all, with spacers you always know exactly how much lift you'll get. Secondly, the North Edition comes with upgraded shocks, so by going Bilstein you're throwing that R&D money and factory quality out the window. Thirdly, with spacers you'll maintain more of the ride comfort. Fourth, it did not require me to disassemble the strut assembly.

I did the Street Rays 1.5" spacers from eBay. $25 and after 14 months and 15,000 miles I've had ZERO issues with them. I drive rough roads, tow, haul, the whole nine yards. Truck is perfectly level front to rear at the fenders and looks perfect. Alignment was still in spec, and tires are wearing good.
Spacers can work just fine in normal conditions. However, by going bilstein leveling shocks you aren't throwing the factory ride quality out the window. In fact, most prefer the ride quality that bilsteins provide over the factory strut.

puba08

Reaction score
Bilstein or Eibach hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
That is a very nice shock maker advertisement. The problem with the left picture and the explanation is that with strut top mount spacers, you still have all of the factory travel and spring rate, simply moved down. It is not restricted as the left pic states. Most people, having read even a couple pages in the "Update" thread, understand why the new upper control arms with revised ball joint angles are needed with any form of lift, for the extension. Mopar requires new ball joint angles with their 2" kit, but interestingly, from plain 4x2 to ORP 1", they use the same arms.

The left picture implies the loss of uptravel. the top spacer is shifting the entire assembly down and your bumpstop is still in the same spot, so your strut is still stopping in the same place 2-3" down the assembly because the entire strut is pushed down from the top. Makes sense ?

Not exactly sure what you're implying most people who have read couple of pages in the update thread understand... have you even wrenched on your truck or other IFS vehicles ? I've broken strut shafts and CV's (Not in a RAM, same concept applies to most IFS with factory LCA's, CV axels, UCA's tierods etc) because i had the same thoughts about the top spacers so i know first hand how they work and sadly what happens when i thought i knew better. UCA angles are not the only thing you need to be concerned with when you lift your IFS with top spacers. From RL 3.5" kit notes: "NOT intended for off-road use or abuse" and that one seems to have better UCA's compared to the Mopar ones. Have you ever though why they're saying that ?

1/2" top spacer won't wreak havoc, that's why i said they're ok especially when you need to make a trim correction, correct for a heavier bumper etc. Maybe 1" will be ok if somebody made one. I won't touch the 2-3" top spacers anymore, then you have 4 or 6" ones but in those you have the needed correction in your steering/suspension components to safely use them if you wanted to go higher. Look at the price difference in those lift kits compared to the $80 ones. You thought it was also marketing those vendors will put out a lift kit with brackets to relocate your arms, diff drops, tie rod extensions etc etc ?

Last edited:

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
How do you like the North Edition. I ordered a ED with that kit at the end of March. Also considering suspension upgrade when it gets here. I tow around 6,000 lbs most days and I don't want to expierence any squat. I am coming from a 2014 1500 with air suspension.

Blackhat

Reaction score
How do you like the North Edition. I ordered a ED with that kit at the end of March. Also considering suspension upgrade when it gets here. I tow around 6,000 lbs most days and I don't want to expierence any squat. I am coming from a 2014 1500 with air suspension.
Love The North Edition ED with the 3.92 Pulls like a Beast, I just hate how difficult and expensive it is to upgrade silly stuff on the 5th Gens like factory Bed lighting adding the wireless Phone charger adding LED lights if it did not come with.... adding upgraded Speakers and such. I know there are cheaper ways but I always go OE it's just a preference, I went with the Dealer recommended Spacers to level the Truck as they wrote down it would not affect my warranty (I got it in Writing). The Spacer goes in the Strut system on top of the Spring and it really didn't affect ride all that much leveled Truck perfectly. As far as rear Couldn't guarantee any squat but it does have HD rear shocks and I've had 1000 pounds of Dirt in the bed with Very little Squat

sig-nifigant

Reaction score
Love The North Edition ED with the 3.92 Pulls like a Beast, I just hate how difficult and expensive it is to upgrade silly stuff on the 5th Gens like factory Bed lighting adding the wireless Phone charger adding LED lights if it did not come with.... adding upgraded Speakers and such. I know there are cheaper ways but I always go OE it's just a preference, I went with the Dealer recommended Spacers to level the Truck as they wrote down it would not affect my warranty (I got it in Writing). The Spacer goes in the Strut system on top of the Spring and it really didn't affect ride all that much leveled Truck perfectly. As far as rear Couldn't guarantee any squat but it does have HD rear shocks and I've had 1000 pounds of Dirt in the bed with Very little Squat
any idea how tall the truck is with the spacers? looking at a north edition but want to be able to fit in my garage.

Users who are viewing this thread