5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joined the cracked windshield club today!

RBRK

Reaction score
Getting on the freeway, flatbed semi, + rock = $800. Windshield is at least a month out.

Question to those that have had them changed, did you need to get the camera aimed? On Honda’s, you need to calibrate or aim the lane assist camera. I know a few hear have had them changed, but never read anything about the camera aim.

Attachments

• 145C7C3A-FA71-4CDE-951E-088C8A22374E.jpeg
    145C7C3A-FA71-4CDE-951E-088C8A22374E.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 135

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks, I had the first rock hit my windshield today but I couldn't see any chips in the glass.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago, waited 5 weeks for the replacement.

Dale.0

Reaction score
Do any of you guys think the new 2019 windshields crack to easy. I put 120k on my 2013 ram never had a chip or crack. My 2019 has 3 cracks in the windor after only 3k. And when the sun is low it ;oold like the window id hazy.

Duane

Reaction score
I am not saying that there is any problem with the windshields, however my wife's '19 Longhorn develped (or got) a mystery rock chip' at the center/bottom @ only (1,000 miles). She drove her Yukon for 200K without a damaged windshield. From the size of the 'star', it should have been eminantly fixable. Nontheless, the repair failed & I must now replace. No charge with our insurance, but I wince at the thought of the factory-installed windshield being yamked-out!

Deante3

Reaction score
Do any of you guys think the new 2019 windshields crack to easy. I put 120k on my 2013 ram never had a chip or crack. My 2019 has 3 cracks in the windor after only 3k. And when the sun is low it ;oold like the window id hazy.
I agree, I believe they do crack easily. The day after I bought my 2019 Ram Laramie Sport a rock skipped up and my windshield cracked like a bullet hit it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Windshields is the main reason I keep $0 comprehensive deductible on my trucks. I went through 3 windshields on my first Titan and 2 on my second. There's always gravel and other crap on the roads around here and these big windshields are rock magnets!

RamZone93

Reaction score
If your windshield cracks, you don't have to get the OEM windshield. The aftermarket ones cost $300 and are just as good. If the OEM windshield was so great, it wouldn't have cracked in the first place.

GerryS

Reaction score
Had mine replaced a week ago. Safelite replaced with OEM glass. Took about a week from first call until replacement. Didn't have to re aim the camera, although they warn you that it may have to be done. Safelite installer said it's rare that it has to be recalibrated.
Gerry

LouCap

Reaction score

My 2019 Limited had a hazy windshield too, right from the dealership. Most of the time it looked okay, but at sunset/sunrise the haze was really noticeable, and oncoming headlights at night made it even worse. I wound up claying the exterior glass, and that cleared it up. My guess is that the glass was etched with some really bad hard water marks that had baked in the Florida sun. If you have a clay bar, do a small section and see if it helps.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not had any issues with the windshield, had a couple good size rocks hit it last winter during pot hole season but surprisingly no damage.

Klute

Reaction score
No problems to date. Dealer installed the crystal fusion to the windshield before delivery. Personally, think it is snake oil, but they claim is protects the windshield from rocks/cracks..

BDCarp04

Reaction score
Replaced mine just today. Crack was in the same spot as OP's picture, but I had a small chip star at the top and the crack ran off to the right instead of the left like the one posted.

OEM replacement was the only option from Safelite, no delay waiting for OEM part (made the appointment/claim Thursday, and today was their earliest opening). Will be picking up in a couple of hours. Just over 2k miles on the truck.

V8Spock

Reaction score
Safelite guy told me there's no need to re-calibrate if the cameras are not disconnected. I took his word for it. I've not noticed anything strange since the windshield was replaced.

Attachments

• IMG-0987.jpg
    IMG-0987.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 53

TwizticMelon

Reaction score
I personally have been waiting for over a month-and-a-half for mine. This is for a warranty replacement. For about the first 4 weeks they kept on pushing out the delivery day a few days at a time. It was supposed to be there Tuesday, then Friday, then next Wednesday. Now, Ram isn't even giving them an estimated date that the windshield will arrive. I've been stuck driving their loaner Chrysler 200S. It's a nice car, but it's not a truck.

I'm about to file a lemon law issuance on it, and just get a new truck instead of a new windshield. At this point, it seems like that route would at least be faster.

revolutionz

Reaction score
I've been waiting close to a month for a new windshield now, and of course there is no ETA on them getting an OEM one. I won't put aftermarket glass in, but there has to be some way to push this along...how can they be so backed up on windshields?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've noticed this with newer vehicles, small cracks seem to run into large ones, while on my older vehicles they would just stay put, even for years without repair.

Now if I get a crack, if I don't get it fix within a few hours, it will grow to a long crack.

Users who are viewing this thread