5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggiehorn's Build Thread

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2/1/2022 - Replaced Halogen Fog Bulbs with LED
Lasfit LED Fog Lights

I was indecisive with the fog light situation on my truck for quite some time but I knew one thing for certain... The factory halogen bulbs were trash! After swapping to the LED headlights, I could hardly tell any difference at all when the fog lights were on or off basically making them useless. I debated going with OEM LEDs or a popular aftermarket solution such as swapping the entire units out for the Morimotos or something equivalent. After reading mixed reviews for what seemed like every option, I decided to just try the most cost effective solution and add the Lasfit bulbs. I've been happy with every Lasfit product I've used so far and I know that they have a solid reputation. I just hope that these aren't too bright. I went from hardly being able to tell that I even had fog lights to now lighting up the road like a supernova lol. I'm going to roll with these for now and see how they do. If people start shooting their high beams (or middle fingers) at me regularly then I'll likely swap for something else.

44.jpg
45.jpg

Halogen bulb on the driver's side and the new Lasfit LED bulb on the passenger side.
46.jpg

Fog lights off:
47.jpg

New Lasfit fog lights on:
48.jpg

I've started accumulating the parts to add blind spot monitoring to the truck. I have parts on hand (or orders placed) for everything needed aside from the mirrors and door modules. The mirrors are another crossroad point for me because I don't know what direction to take. If you remember way back when I first started this thread, I discovered that my passenger side tow mirror has a large chunk of plastic missing from it. Rather than replace with the same part, I'd like to use it as an opportunity to upgrade for power folding blind spot mirrors. I'm not sure if I should go with a standard paint matched Ram mirror, or go with the power folding ram tow mirrors with blind spot. From a visual standpoint, I like the standard mirrors, but from a functional aspect I have been really happy with the towing mirrors and that is what I have become comfortable with using. I'll continue to weigh out my options and also see what kind of price difference I'm looking at with both paths. I'm hoping I can score a lightly used set like I have done with several of the other parts I've added because replacement mirrors from the dealer aren't cheap. Finding a good deal might be what ultimately sways me one way over the other.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2/20/2022 - Adding Blind Spot Monitoring

Taillight Wiring Jumper Harnesses
OEM LED Blind Spot Monitoring Tailights - Previously Added
CAN bus Wiring Harness

I worked on this project for the previous two evenings and I can proudly say that the Big Horn now has functioning blind spot monitoring. Once working, I tested it on the road probably a dozen times as cars came up on either side of the truck and it operates exactly as it should. This project should not have taken two evenings to complete but I started second guessing myself and the forum instructions about halfway through. If I would have just stuck to the process and followed directions from start to finish I can confidently say that this could be done in 2 hours or less. I am just overly cautious with things and that ultimately led me down a path of uncertainty. To help clarify for anyone doing this in the future, I plan on doing a small write up to add some additional information related to the wiring piece of the BSM project so that it can be added to the existing how-to thread. I just need to find some time to knock that out.

I have not added mirrors with the blind spot indicator lights yet so I am currently relying on just the audio chime portion of the BSM feature for now. I am planning to to add power folding tow mirrors with blind spot monitoring soon so I'll be sure to add an update post once that is complete. I'm just thrilled to check another box off the list!

If anyone is looking to tackle this project and would like part numbers or guidance with the overall process feel free to shoot me a message.

53.jpg

Attachments

• 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2/25/2022 - Sport Decal Swap

Matte Black Sport Decals

This was an idea I toyed around with for a month or so before finally finding a way to make it happen. I considered removing the decals entirely like many people do but I really wanted to do something different and unique from everyone else. (kind of funny coming from a guy with Fuel Rebel wheels yes I know lol).

Anyways, I really wanted to order the OEM Ram Sport decals in flat black from the dealer, but I later found out that they don’t offer these decals in black. I was told that they only came in two standard options. I managed to come across a guy that owns a graphics shop that offered other Ram decals, and he actually had the sport logo lettering available, but he never printed one off. I provided him with sizing/spacing info from my existing decal and he did the rest. I’m really impressed with how these came out, and I love the subtle touch it adds to the truck. I may end up redoing the passenger side because it has a couple of very small bubbles in the decal, but I’m hoping that they will work their way out from sitting in the FL heat. Either way, I’m really happy with these, and the new sleek look it gives the truck.
B20BE839-C70F-4B2E-B8DD-FB7F91856A52.jpeg
6597DD59-1034-41B5-AC30-408A901BCE40.jpeg
C7CE8B2C-F698-41AD-AD63-00136234C4B9.jpeg
CAC1B2D5-72A7-4FB6-A647-A8AD2F4B88CC.jpeg
56DE0337-A544-481F-8443-9C0330AA22DB.jpeg
FC234ED3-876B-4C02-B2F7-FB5353955326.jpeg
4897C3C3-F274-43E5-AFFC-08D9BA7796CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Arlo1782

Reaction score
Just wondering are you still impressed with your vland headlights and how long did it take to get them?

Thanks

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering are you still impressed with your vland headlights and how long did it take to get them?

Thanks
Personally, I haven’t had any trouble with them. I’ve been completely satisfied with my purchase and they still function and perform just as well as they did on day one. What is concerning though is hearing from some of the other members in here that have had quality related issues with their lights. The bigger problem seems to arise when trying to deal with their customer service and warranty process in the event that you need to. They are a China based company and that seems to complicate things more. Several members here have expressed their frustration with that process, so for that reason I’d just say use caution. While I have heard of several members running into issues, I’ve also come across numerous posts on the Ram Facebook groups with people having a positive experience just as I have had. So in my experience, yes I’m still happy with my purchase but just know that quality is always a gamble with aftermarket parts.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just dropping an update. I ordered my power folding tow mirrors over two weeks ago and as of this morning the order still shows in process. These were originally expected to be delivered late last week. After reaching out, I was told they needed my vehicle's VIN# to process and complete my order. There is no telling how long I would have waited if I didn't request an update on the order status. Would have made more sense to require the VIN field during the checkout process in my opinion. I notified them that my VIN is probably going to show incompatible with the parts ordered and that I understand they are not returnable. Long story short, I verified that the parts were available back when I made the purchase, and now as of this morning the mirrors show backordered with no update on ETA so I told them to cancel it.

I'm not on here to bash anyone, but communication goes a long way. I completely understand shortages, backorders, and delays right now, but when you confirm that they have the part in stock, order it, and then wait over two weeks without any communication or update because they need a VIN number that they never requested is super frustrating.

Does anyone have a solid Mopar parts vendor that they use regularly with success? The last few orders I've placed through a couple different Mopar sites have not left me with the greatest experiences.

Montag84

Reaction score
Liberty Mopar Parts is always the cheapest when shopped around against other OEM Mopar wholesalers and their shipping is very reasonable too.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3/31/2022
Recon's Truck Madness Bracket
1st Place

It has been a slow couple of months from an upgrade standpoint. After canceling my BSM tow mirror order due to unavailability, I just decided to take a break for a bit. I've had some other more important things going on and had to push the Ram goodies aside for a bit. Hopefully I can pick back up with the build here soon but I figured I'd share the awesome news I woke up to this morning. I entered, was selected, competed, and actually won 1st place for Recon's Truck Madness contest that has been taking place for the last week or so. The entry was free and open to anyone. Once the entry period closed, Recon selected 16 trucks out of their entry pool to compete in the bracket. These voting contests are always more of a popularity contest than anything else, but with the help of the FB community and my IG following, I actually managed to crush the contest and take first place. Pretty awesome to see all of the support and also see a Ram at the top of the bracket. 1st place came with a $750 Recon gift card which I am super excited about. Now I just need to figure out what we should apply that gift card towards for the build!

Truck Madness.jpg 50.jpg
7C1699F4-4FA0-4F01-968E-026A63BB9A6D.jpeg

Last edited:

pitcru

Reaction score
6/1/2021 – TAC Straight Bar Side Steps
Price - $269.99

I really would like to have some sort of motorized power steps at some point down the line, but I needed a short term solution to get me by for now as I couldn’t justify the price tag for any of the power steps out there. Many of the cheaper side steps available are known to flex, bend, and rust. I wanted something budget friendly and durable. Based on the reviews that I read for these TAC steps they should fit that bill. I really like the way these look and will see how they hold up against the test of time.

View attachment 100786

View attachment 100787

6/3/2021 – 3W All Weather Floormats
Price – $129.99

I really tried to get the dealer to throw the factory all weather mats into my purchase, but they said they were unable to make that happen. I’ve seen a lot of reviews on here about Husky, Lasfit, and Weathertech, but I decided to try a less popular option. I went with 3W and I’m very happy with the purchase. These mats seem to be well made and I like that the back mat is all one solid piece. The fitment is great. I do however wish that the front mats provided a bit more coverage area up the sides like the factory RAM all weather mats do. Most of the all weather options come in at or around the same price point so it really seems like it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

View attachment 100788 View attachment 100789 View attachment 100790
Where did you get the rear mat? The website doesn't even show anything for a 2021 model.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did you get the rear mat? The website doesn't even show anything for a 2021 model.
Here is the exact link I ordered from. Looks like they currently have a $12 promo discount coupon that can be applied at checkout if you order from the same link.

3W Floor Mats Compatible for Dodge Ram 1500 without Storage 2019-2022, TPE All Weather Custom Fit Floor Liner For Dodge Ram, First and Second Row Full Set Car Mats Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5M46YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NZE22Z0GPMEHSTBZG94Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

pitcru

Reaction score
Here is the exact link I ordered from. Looks like they currently have a $12 promo discount coupon that can be applied at checkout if you order from the same link.

3W Floor Mats Compatible for Dodge Ram 1500 without Storage 2019-2022, TPE All Weather Custom Fit Floor Liner For Dodge Ram, First and Second Row Full Set Car Mats Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5M46YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NZE22Z0GPMEHSTBZG94Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I will check it out as I have a 2021 also. I have the factory full coverage ones but I like the extra under the rear seat.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I gave the truck a thorough wash over the weekend and I immediately went out to grab a few photos before the dirt and pollen had a chance to get to it. The famous saying "take a picture, it'll last longer," is definitely true when working with black vehicles lol. I had a few photos turnout halfway decent but the shot below was the clear standout winner in my opinion. I'm no photographer but damnnn I think this just might be my new favorite photo of the rig!

67.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread