5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggiehorn's Build Thread

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm...I wasn't aware that was a box you could check. Now I'll have to take a look.
Yeah, I remember seeing it in there somewhere but it was already checked so I quickly moved on. However, I drove a short distance at low speed (like 10mph I think) with it open one time and didn't get a warning. Maybe have to go over a certain speed, or be moving for a certain amount of time (like the auto door locksP for it to yell at you. Not sure though. Need to test this cause you're 100% right, it'd be really easy to not know that it's open, unless you don't have a cover (but we all do haha).

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember seeing it in there somewhere but it was already checked so I quickly moved on. However, I drove a short distance at low speed (like 10mph I think) with it open one time and didn't get a warning. Maybe have to go over a certain speed, or be moving for a certain amount of time (like the auto door locksP for it to yell at you. Not sure though. Need to test this cause you're 100% right, it'd be really easy to not know that it's open, unless you don't have a cover (but we all do haha).
After I enabled the tailgate ajar warning, all I had to do was shift my truck into drive and it popped up.

I don't have a bed cover, but it's still difficult to see if the tailgate is open or not through the rearview mirror.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t remember seeing a tailgate ajar option in Uconnect either but I also never specifically went looking for one. I wonder if enabling the features in AlfaOBD adds the option to the settings in the Uconnect just as it adds rain sensing wipers, passive entry, etc. But at the same time if you do have that option in yours and the notification message doesn’t pop up on your screen when the tailgate is down that wouldn’t make sense. But Idahoktm is right, if the tailgate is down, the message will show up on your cluster as soon as you shift the truck from park.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t remember seeing a tailgate ajar option in Uconnect either but I also never specifically went looking for one. I wonder if enabling the features in AlfaOBD adds the option to the settings in the Uconnect just as it adds rain sensing wipers, passive entry, etc. But at the same time if you do have that option in yours and the notification message doesn’t pop up on your screen when the tailgate is down that wouldn’t make sense. But Idahoktm is right, if the tailgate is down, the message will show up on your cluster as soon as you shift the truck from park.
Yeah, apparently I was imagining things, I have no such option, and don't get the ajar warning. This seems like a pretty dangerous oversight. Gonna go yell at my dealer.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I have to do it myself, I can get this...

Hook it up to the diagnostics port under where the emergency brake is, and then download the android app, link up, and I'm good to go, yes?

It's funny because I'm much more technically inclined that I am mechanically, but using something like this has me nervous af 😅
I was the same way which is why I chose to start with something simple just as this. It really isn't bad though. It was just a mindset thing for me that also had me nervous and worried that I was going to severely mess something up. If you do go to the dealer, I'm curious if they will add it or give you a reasoning on why some have it and others don't.

For AlfaOBD, You can use that module you linked and many people do go that route but I went with the most cost effective solution that I could find. I used the BAFX module and security bypass cables. Like $40-$50 total then had to download the AlfaOBD app on my tablet which was like another $50.

Here is what I use...

Module:
Security Bypass Cables: https://www.amazon.com/TTXSPP-Adaptor-Chrysler-Programming-Connector/dp/B08ZL4LRVK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3PH6TY5HZMFX3&keywords=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8&qid=1643118764&s=automotive&sprefix=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8,automotive,225&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRTVPQThCTFlaODBPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk0ODY3MURNSUdNWTRMWFlGNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODM3MzQ3MjlYV0dQMkJLTUdWTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You disconnect the two wires from your security gateway up under the dash. It is a black box on the driver's side located roughly behind the headlight dial. You can see it if you look up in the footwell area. You plug those two wires into the security bypass cables I linked above and then plug the BAFX module into the other end of those cables. From there you can connect to the module via bluetooth and the AlfaOBD app. Message me if you decide to go this route and I can shoot you a couple videos that show this method in a little better detail.

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was the same way which is why I chose to start with something simple just as this. It really isn't bad though. It was just a mindset thing for me that also had me nervous and worried that I was going to severely mess something up. If you do go to the dealer, I'm curious if they will add it or give you a reasoning on why some have it and others don't.

For AlfaOBD, You can use that module you linked and many people do go that route but I went with the most cost effective solution that I could find. I used the BAFX module and security bypass cables. Like $40-$50 total then had to download the AlfaOBD app on my tablet which was like another $50.

Here is what I use...

Module:
Security Bypass Cables: https://www.amazon.com/TTXSPP-Adaptor-Chrysler-Programming-Connector/dp/B08ZL4LRVK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3PH6TY5HZMFX3&keywords=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8&qid=1643118764&s=automotive&sprefix=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8,automotive,225&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRTVPQThCTFlaODBPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk0ODY3MURNSUdNWTRMWFlGNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODM3MzQ3MjlYV0dQMkJLTUdWTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Interesting. Why do you need the security bypass cables with this module? I'm assuming the larger end of the cable goes into the diagnostics port, and the other end goes into the module (as opposed to connecting the module directly to the port)?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Why do you need the security bypass cables with this module? I'm assuming the larger end of the cable goes into the diagnostics port, and the other end goes into the module (as opposed to connecting the module directly to the port)?
I just updated my previous post right as you replied lol. The BAFX OBD module goes into one end of the bypass cable, and the two connections that you remove from the truck's security gateway plug into the other ends of the bypass cables if that makes sense. Even with the version you linked, you will still need some form of security bypass to make vehicle configuration changes.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just updated my previous post right as you replied lol. The BAFX OBD module goes into one end of the bypass cable, and the two connections that you remove from the truck's security gateway plug into the other ends of the bypass cables if that makes sense. Even with the version you linked, you will still need some form of security bypass to make vehicle configuration changes.
Where the heck is our security gateway plug?

edit: just read your edited post haha, thank you!

And how the hell do they get away with charging $120 for something that's essentially the same as this other $20 scanner? Or is there some significant difference between the two?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact differences off hand, but I do remember reading a post that explained a few different available features. I believe I read that somewhere in the AlfaOBD thread on this forum. I chose to go with the cheaper option because it still gives me the ability to make any of the changes that I intend to make on my truck.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Where the heck is our security gateway plug?

edit: just read your edited post haha, thank you!

And how the hell do they get away with charging $120 for something that's essentially the same as this other $20 scanner? Or is there some significant difference between the two?
This pic I took shows the security bypass module. Just find the hood release cable to get yourself oriented.
Post in thread 'Where to plug in Autostop Eliminator 2021 RAM Laramie' https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...eliminator-2021-ram-laramie.36911/post-540124

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I bought this instead of the cables. The wires unplug from the module, then you plug them into the bypass. It's a PITA the first time you do it, then once you figure out how they unplug, it's very easy.

ECRI Security Gateway Bypass Module fits 2018-2021 Jeep Wrangler Gladiator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLB6VH...t_i_7S616FGGZB501K3GYZMB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought this instead of the cables. The wires unplug from the module, then you plug them into the bypass. It's a PITA the first time you do it, then once you figure out how they unplug, it's very easy.

ECRI Security Gateway Bypass Module fits 2018-2021 Jeep Wrangler Gladiator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLB6VH...t_i_7S616FGGZB501K3GYZMB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Okay, so with this, the truck's wires get unplugged, then get plugged into this (the ECRI), and the the scanner also gets plugged into this...?

edit: thanks for the link to the pic btw, that will be very helpful.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Okay, so with this, the truck's wires get unplugged, then get plugged into this (the ECRI), and the the scanner also gets plugged into this...?

edit: thanks for the link to the pic btw, that will be very helpful.
The OBD II scanner plugs into the OBD port below the steering column.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
It's funny because I'm much more technically inclined that I am mechanically, but using something like this has me nervous af 😅
I know exactly what you mean. I am pretty equal in technical and mechanical skills, but the AlfaOBD changes made me nervous. My first attempt at using it to change my tire size was unsuccessful and I almost bailed on it. Fortunately, through the help of guys on this forum, I was able to get it done. Now I'm pretty comfortable using it. I've done the fog light dropout, turned on both tailgate warnings, and a buddy's tire size calibration.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. I am pretty equal in technical and mechanical skills, but the AlfaOBD changes made me nervous. My first attempt at using it to change my tire size was unsuccessful and I almost bailed on it. Fortunately, through the help of guys on this forum, I was able to get it done. Now I'm pretty comfortable using it. I've done the fog light dropout, turned on both tailgate warnings, and a buddy's tire size calibration.
Yeah, I was interested in turning off the fog light drop out, as well as turning on the option to have the sideview mirrors go in and out when you turn the truck on and off. Can you do the latter with this, or do you need a Tazer for that?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yeah, I was interested in turning off the fog light drop out, as well as turning on the option to have the sideview mirrors go in and out when you turn the truck on and off. Can you do the latter with this, or do you need a Tazer for that?
That's a Tazer feature. Fortunately, that's not a feature I'm interested in having.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Nice! Did you get the bed light piece figured out? I'm not sure what settings would need to be changed for that if necessary. I'm still not really up to speed with AlfaOBD yet. I've just been following along with existing procedures for the changes that I have made so far. I don't have bed lights currently either so I am unable to verify.

I still haven't been able to figure out why some trucks have this enabled from the dealer and some don't. I'm sure it is related to something, but I haven't been able to connect the dots. I've discussed with quite a few, and some bighorns, laramies, limiteds, etc. come with it enabled while many of our trucks did not.
I noticed today that if I drop my tailgate, the bed lights come on. 👍🏻

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed today that if I drop my tailgate, the bed lights come on. 👍🏻
Excellent! I’ve been reading up on how to add the bed lights to mine. I’ve seen the kits for as low as $130. Would you say the lights are worth adding at that price point or should I look at another solution? I’d much rather add them than have the plastic caps that I currently have in the bed, but if the lights add little to no value I’d rather not throw money away.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Excellent! I’ve been reading up on how to add the bed lights to mine. I’ve seen the kits for as low as $130. Would you say the lights are worth adding at that price point or should I look at another solution? I’d much rather add them than have the plastic caps that I currently have in the bed, but if the lights add little to no value I’d rather not throw money away.
I don't use the bed lights much, but for me I'd rather have them and not need them than the other way around. At $130 I would definitely get them.

Users who are viewing this thread