5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggiehorn's Build Thread

SunManUlto

Reaction score
Where would you put those Cree Rock Lights? I still dont understand what to do with them?

Also, I miss passive entry. My 2019 Dodge Journey came with it from factory for drivers side door. Now my 2022 Ram Big Horn doesnt have it at all.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where would you put those Cree Rock Lights? I still dont understand what to do with them?
Rock lights are typically placed inside the wheel wells, or under the vehicle. The claim being, that rock lights provide enough brightness to make the terrain easier to see in low light situations, making it easier to steer away from obstacles or debris. But let’s be honest, most people that have them only use it for accent lighting while driving on city streets lol. Attached a couple examples below.

I'm not exactly sure how I plan to install them yet. I have 8, which would be 2 per wheel well, but depending on the brightness of them, I may only run 1 per wheel well. I'm just looking for a subtle touch, nothing overwhelming.

Also, I miss passive entry. My 2019 Dodge Journey came with it from factory for drivers side door. Now my 2022 Ram Big Horn doesnt have it at all.
Passive entry is a must have option in my opinion. Its not too terrible of a job to add to your Ram if you wanted to have it. I did my front doors and tailgate some time ago. Once the rear doors became an option, I decided to grab the parts for that too. I've had the parts for a few months now. I just need to find time to get it done.

Attachments

• 0B02DD5A-B2EF-453B-BD0B-C55CC11054A4.jpeg
    0B02DD5A-B2EF-453B-BD0B-C55CC11054A4.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DDFF0316-D752-4CA9-ACBA-CE9C6C126131.jpeg
    DDFF0316-D752-4CA9-ACBA-CE9C6C126131.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 103

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Rock lights are typically placed inside the wheel wells, or under the vehicle. The claim being, that rock lights provide enough brightness to make the terrain easier to see in low light situations, making it easier to steer away from obstacles or debris. But let’s be honest, most people that have them only use it for accent lighting while driving on city streets lol. Attached a couple examples below.

I'm not exactly sure how I plan to install them yet. I have 8, which would be 2 per wheel well, but depending on the brightness of them, I may only run 1 per wheel well. I'm just looking for a subtle touch, nothing overwhelming.

Passive entry is a must have option in my opinion. Its not too terrible of a job to add to your Ram if you wanted to have it. I did my front doors and tailgate some time ago. Once the rear doors became an option, I decided to grab the parts for that too. I've had the parts for a few months now. I just need to find time to get it done.
LOL - not at you. Still have parts that I need to install on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1/29/2023

Just to drop a few updates from where I last left off.

1. New BulletPoint MagSafe Phone Mount - Love it. Not really a whole lot to add here. The magnet is incredibly strong, and the quality is exactly what you'd expect from BulletPoint.
F152D5A0-2B34-443A-A3FF-B2094F42C2E1.jpeg

2. Stream to your Car Pro - I finally cracked and bought one of these. Definitely adds some cool features. Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto capability for us guys on the UC4 system, and adds the ability to stream numerous platforms to your radio display through a WIFI hotspot. I've done very little testing with the wireless CarPlay, but when I briefly tried it, it did work. The streaming portion works great. We've tried YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ so far and they all work really well. I had some family in town last week and we took my truck from the Orlando area out to the coast a few times. It is about an hour trip each direction and we had Disney+ streaming the entire time without issue. Only complaint is that I usually have to reconnect my phone to it each time I hop in the truck and I've read it is supposed to connect automatically. I could be doing something wrong there so I won't fault the device on that just yet. The interface can also be a little slow/glitchy at times, but the streaming portion seems to work pretty much flawlessly. Oh, and just to cover my bases…Don't stream and drive kids. It isn't safe!
6234BEC0-33EE-4DB8-AA95-88CAB19E24BA.jpeg

3. Rear Passive Entry Project - I'm like 95% complete with this. I have the rear passenger side completely finished and operational. The rear driver's side is all hooked up and done minus the last two wires. I ran into a snag at the point where you tap in to the wiring by the driver's side door. There are several wires that all match the description of the wires that I'm supposed to tap into and I'd rather not guess at random. I don't know of anyone else on here that has actually completed this yet, so I'm hoping Jimmy07 can help me identify the proper wires and guide me through the last few steps for the driver's side rear. So this is on hold for the moment, but very very close to being finished. The pictures below aren't showing anything in particular. I just dropped a couple photos I took during the install.
C437D96A-6329-4D5C-BF37-EDC9B2FC401B.jpeg
D278B2C4-A3D8-4961-88F1-15670DBCBD7C.jpeg
AA906022-B2C1-4625-B63A-1C3477EB8CA6.jpeg
4630BC34-EC97-41F9-AA4D-4B0C244CDE0E.jpeg
4. Boat Flooring on AMP steps - I took my crack at a little DIY idea that I've wanted to try for awhile now. I bought a roll of marine flooring that is typically used on boat decks. I trimmed it down to size, and applied it to my AMP steps with the adhesive backing. I stole the idea from those companies that make custom mats for AMP steps. I wanted a clean, simple look and I think the pattern I chose offers that. I'm hopeful that this holds up long term, but will see with time. It was relatively cheap, but the product did have decent reviews. If made for a boating environment, I would think that it would hold up okay on the steps. If it doesn't, I'll probably end up redoing it with something a little higher end, but I think it looks great for now.
D6D21C08-3972-4DC7-8416-54F4BC6CBC41.jpeg

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2/9/2023

The driver's side rear door for the passive entry project is still on hold but Jimmy07 is helping me work through the final steps that are holding it up. He is working to verify a few pieces of information with the routing of the factory wiring harness, and that should help him determine what I need to do. I will take pictures and document as much as I can of the solution so that the main passive entry thread can be updated to help clarify this step of the process.

Aside from that, I do have a few parts on order so I hope to have some additional updates coming to the thread soon.

Will leave this post with three recent photos I grabbed. Really like how these turned out!
6CDE7E1C-5647-4982-81D5-38A85A73ACA4.jpeg
2D6C868B-AD57-4E3F-A807-EA1231A389FD.jpeg
E4B37C69-D97E-4400-8FA7-171C9C4FE3D4.jpeg

Last edited:

db9

Reaction score
Can you update how those Kenda's are holding up?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I’ve had so many people hit me up on Instagram asking who makes these covers, where did I buy them at, and how can they get a set lol. This has to be one of my favorite upgrades, if not THE favorite upgrade that I’ve done so far. It completely transformed the interior.
As someone who owns a BTS truck, they look sweet in your rig! love the improvements you've been doing!

HemiDude

Reaction score
2/9/2023

The driver's side rear door for the passive entry project is still on hold but Jimmy07 is helping me work through the final steps that are holding it up. He is working to verify a few pieces of information with the routing of the factory wiring harness, and that should help him determine what I need to do. I will take pictures and document as much as I can of the solution so that the main passive entry thread can be updated to help clarify this step of the process.

Aside from that, I do have a few parts on order so I hope to have some additional updates coming to the thread soon.

Will leave this post with three recent photos I grabbed. Really like how these turned out!
View attachment 151213
View attachment 151214
View attachment 151215
First off, truck looks great! Second, that rear door passive entry might be one of the best mods I've seen done so far. Appreciate you sharing your learning curve, how much has this run you?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As someone who owns a BTS truck, they look sweet in your rig! love the improvements you've been doing!
Appreciate it! I love the seats. Especially at the price I got the covers at. I've only come across two or three other sets listed for sale, and they were all significantly more expensive than I got these for. I'm a big fan of the BTS edition trucks in general. A Spitfire Orange hit a nearby dealer a couple weeks after I purchased my truck, and I couldn't help but wish I had held off just a little longer! Really like the tank green you have as well!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First off, truck looks great! Second, that rear door passive entry might be one of the best mods I've seen done so far. Appreciate you sharing your learning curve, how much has this run you?
Thanks man! Yeah the rear passive entry seems to get some really mixed opinions from what discussion I've had with others so far. Some just don't see the value, and I completely understand that it may not really add value or convenience for everyone. Others think it is great. In my case, I almost always open one of my rear doors before the front. Rather it be loading my bag and equipment for work, or most recently, loading my 5 month old son and his belongings in the back of the truck whenever we go somewhere. It may not seem like a huge deal, but when your hands are full carrying bags, backpacks, a baby and his toys, or whatever else I'm hauling around, it is going to be so much easier to just grab any door handle and have it unlock the truck. I'm hoping to get the last door finished and operational soon. The other three doors are working great though!

Assuming you have passive entry on the front doors, all you need for the rear is two new passive entry door handles and two new door handle caps in your vehicle's paint code. You will also need to make or purchase the wiring for the passive entry from Jimmy. I bought all of this back in October and I don't remember off hand what I paid for the wiring, but Jimmy can send you a price for the harness if interested. Here was the price for the handles and caps.

F9D333CC-3F06-450C-BBBD-4F25F53A9C01.jpeg

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you update how those Kenda's are holding up?
Sure can.

I'm at almost 16k miles on them. No issues. They are wearing nice and evenly and I don't really have any complaints out of them. Keep in mind this is my first lifted truck, and first set of 35's so I don't have anything else to directly compare them to. My opinion could change some if I did have something else to help me compare and contrast them with. Road noise has increased slightly, but I know that is to be expected as they wear. I personally don't think the road noise is bad at all. It definitely doesn't sound like a set of MT's going down the highway that is certain. It has a slight hum on the highway, but as I've said before, having the radio on even at a normal volume will completely drown out the road noise.

I have noticed that at times, I'm getting a strange vibration when on the highway at anything above 60mph, but it isn't consistent. Leads me to believe it is a wheel balance issue, and I'm really leaning towards it being the balance beads. I'm going to get the beads removed and have the wheels traditionally balanced at the next oil change interval. I didn't opt for balance beads when I had them installed, the shop I went to just went with them and didn't tell me.

People always ask me if I would buy them again, and I always say yes, but I have noticed that the price gap between the Kenda's and some of the other big name tire competitors are starting to shrink. The Klevers were significantly cheaper than most other big brand options back when I bought mine, but it seems like they have shot up in price as they've gained popularity and traction (pun intended). With that considered, I'd still recommend the Kendas, but it may be worthwhile to shop around and consider some of the others as the bang for the buck value isn't as good as what it was in previous years.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Appreciate it! I love the seats. Especially at the price I got the covers at. I've only come across two or three other sets listed for sale, and they were all significantly more expensive than I got these for. I'm a big fan of the BTS edition trucks in general. A Spitfire Orange hit a nearby dealer a couple weeks after I purchased my truck, and I couldn't help but wish I had held off just a little longer! Really like the tank green you have as well!
That orange is quite the color! And thanks the green was my first choice when ordering. I think you made a good choice with your truck too though, and you're making it your own! Inspires me to do more stuff to mine!

HemiDude

Reaction score
Thanks man! Yeah the rear passive entry seems to get some really mixed opinions from what discussion I've had with others so far. Some just don't see the value, and I completely understand that it may not really add value or convenience for everyone. Others think it is great. In my case, I almost always open one of my rear doors before the front. Rather it be loading my bag and equipment for work, or most recently, loading my 5 month old son and his belongings in the back of the truck whenever we go somewhere. It may not seem like a huge deal, but when your hands are full carrying toys, backpacks, a baby, or whatever else I'm hauling around, it is going to be so much easier to just grab any door handle and have it unlock the truck. I'm hoping to get the last door finished and operational soon. The other three doors are working great though!

Assuming you have passive entry on the front doors, all you need for the rear is two new passive entry door handles and two new door handle caps in your vehicle's paint code. You will also need to make or purchase the wiring for the passive entry from Jimmy. I bought all of this back in October and I don't remember off hand what I paid for the wiring, but Jimmy can send you a price for the harness if interested. Here was the price for the handles and caps.

View attachment 151256
Excellent, info, thanks. IMO the "value" in this mod is the same as any other convenience on these trucks - Remote Start, Power Locks & Windows, etc. I don't need those options, but I like them, and I choose not to do without them. Anyway, this feels like it would be good project for me to tackle this summer 🙂

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excellent, info, thanks. IMO the "value" in this mod is the same as any other convenience on these trucks - Remote Start, Power Locks & Windows, etc. I don't need those options, but I like them, and I choose not to do without them. Anyway, this feels like it would be good project for me to tackle this summer 🙂
Couldn't agree with you more. Jimmy was able to help me get it all sorted out this past weekend. Everything works perfectly. More than happy to help talk you through it if needed whenever you decide to add it on yours. The passive entry thread was updated as well. If you want to read up on just the rear passive entry stuff within that thread, you can reference posting numbers 828, 879, 881, and 882. Post 828 is from Jimmy saying that he has the harnesses available, and the other three posts are from me as I worked through it. Feel free to reach out if you need any help.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2/14/2023 - Broken Mirrors and a Broken Heart

Well, I had hoped that this post would have went better today but unfortunately things just didn’t go my way. I purchased a set of lightly used power folding tow mirrors with BSM indicators off of a seller on eBay about a week or so ago. Anyone that has been following this thread for a decent amount of time know that I’ve tried purchasing these a couple of other times without success due to back orders and unavailability. Since then, the mirrors have only gone up in price so I’ve sort of just held off.

These popped up at a pretty good price, so I decided to pull the trigger. These would have completed both, the BSM project and the power folding addition that I’m trying to add to my truck. They were delivered today and I had every intention of installing both of the door modules and these mirrors this evening after work. Upon opening up the package, I found two completely destroyed mirrors. They were packaged well, but the box was beat up some, and there was a decent sized hole in the side of the cardboard packaging.

As for the mirrors, The driver’s side convex glass is busted, the housing is split, and the blinker is broken. The passenger side is in better condition, but has gouges all in the plastic and the portion that mounts to the actual truck is cracked and broken away in a couple places. I’ve been in contact with the seller and he did have shipping insurance with the declared value of what I purchased these for, but i’m pretty bummed out about it as now I have to jump through additional hoops due the shipping company’s carelessness. Should have no problem being reimbursed, just not sure how long that is actually going to take to resolve. So I believe that was strike three now on trying to buy these mirrors lol. The search continues.

61C276C6-3D87-4518-A128-91A920293DF8.jpeg
37DB5215-C536-45DA-BF0A-3EC3009C86F7.jpeg 1BA8FD0F-5E1B-4EBF-868B-65AA5EFC4D3C.jpeg
18E2E776-B980-4BB2-B593-CD007E95BFF5.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2/14/2023 - Broken Mirrors and a Broken Heart

Well, I had hoped that this post would have went better today but unfortunately things just didn’t go my way. I purchased a set of lightly used power folding tow mirrors with BSM indicators off of a seller on eBay about a week or so ago. Anyone that has been following this thread for a decent amount of time know that I’ve tried purchasing these a couple of other times without success due to back orders and unavailability. Since then, the mirrors have only gone up in price so I’ve sort of just held off. These popped up at a pretty good price, so I decided to pull the trigger. These would have completed both, the BSM project and the power folding addition that I’m trying to add to my truck. They were delivered today and I had every intention of installing both of the door modules and these mirrors this evening after work. Upon opening up the package, I found two completely destroyed mirrors. They were packaged well, but the box was beat up some, and there was a decent sized hole in the side of the cardboard packaging. As for the mirrors, The driver’s side convex glass is busted, the housing is split, and the blinker is broken. The passenger side is in better condition, but has gouges all in the plastic and the portion that mounts to to actual truck is cracked and broken away in a couple places. I’ve been in contact with the seller and he did have shipping insurance with the declared value of what I purchased these for, but i’m pretty bummed out about it as now I have to jump through additional hoops due the shipping company’s carelessness. Should have no problem being reimbursed, just not sure how long that is actually going to take to resolve. So I believe that was strike three on these mirrors lol. The search continues.

View attachment 151896
View attachment 151903 View attachment 151897
View attachment 151898
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Those mirrors are toast, like they’ve been through a hurricane…dayum…🤯

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Those mirrors are toast, like they’ve been through a hurricane…dayum…🤯
Haha yeah they’ve definitely seen better days. They were shipped from Tacoma Washington to Orlando Florida so that’s an awful long way for something to go wrong I guess. Based on their condition, doesn’t look like a whole lot went right!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2/28/2023 Random Goodness

Aside from the huge disappointment with the mirrors mentioned above, a lot of good things are happening in the Ram world. For the several of you that asked about it lol, yes I did change my username on here to match the IG account. I did it to better align my profiles across platforms.

Starting with the rear wheel well liners that I had mentioned previously… I know I was leaning towards OEM, but I finally decided to go with the Rough Country liners. Knowing that I'm going to be drilling holes into these when I add rock lights eventually, I decided that it made the most sense to save the money and purchase the Rough Country liners. These have really good reviews overall, so I think this will be the right move. I have not installed them yet but hope to soon.
9E40F0E2-B2AA-4BD4-830C-5FB490C37698.jpeg

So anyone on here that follows the IG page, or that has read through the majority of this thread should already know that I'm a huge fan of Lasfit products. Lasfit Offroad actually reached out to me recently to see if I would be interested in working with them. They are sending out products of interest so that I can provide reviews, feedback, and help promote the products that I support. They sent me out a set of their all weather floormats about a week or so ago, and I believe they are going to send me a set of their new switchback capable rock lights that just became available. That said, I may not have a need for the brand new Recon rock lights I have sitting in the garage, so I may be looking to sell those soon if anyone is interested. I can't express how stoked I am to be working with Lasfit. Really looking forward to the opportunity! I also have a discount code available for 10% off of Lasfit’s floor mats if anyone is considering a set. Just shoot me a message and I’ll pass over the code and Amazon link.
0AE55FC1-B22E-46F0-B0E6-17574F355EF9.jpeg
06DE7773-92F0-4264-BCC9-7D7376B6C9DA.jpeg
I've also had a few detailing and automotive care companies reach out wanting me to test some various products. Looking forward to that opportunity as well. I believe they are sending some glass and ceramic sprays, so assuming that the products are something that I'm truly impressed with, I'll drop product reviews in the detailing section on here once I get some time with them.

From a modification standpoint, I recently threw on a set of Putco Luminix ditch light brackets on and I paired them with a set of DV8 Elite Series 3" light pods. I've been on the fence with the whole A pillar ditch light upgrade for awhile, but finally decided to give it a shot. I've got to say that I do like the look of it in person more than I thought I would. These light pods are blacked out which really ties in well with the truck. I don't have them wired up yet as I plan to install an Auxbeam switch panel so that I can quickly and conveniently wire up all of my auxiliary lights. I plan to have my current light bar, these pod lights, and the rock lights on the switch panel once I get everything installed. I also have a few long term ideas I would like to do with lighting, but that would require new pods and a new lightbar so we will see if it plays out like I have in mind.
CC35C5EB-4702-41F6-9C84-DB5D7C1D6A8F.jpeg
425B136E-A244-4373-B367-B79A86DA2E27.jpeg
E2917998-831A-4B30-9666-2291E9D8E244.jpeg
8F300801-EEF9-4BAA-ACFF-4DDD312446A8.jpeg
Lastly, I purchased an AMP Research Powerstep override switch for my running boards. Once my light bar is controlled by the Auxbeam switch panel, I will be left with a useless button on my dash where I originally had my light bar control mounted. I'm hoping that I can use that location for the new Amp override switch. In theory it should create a nice clean install, and I'm looking to replicate what another member on here recently did with theirs, so I think it should work out well. The rest of the parts below are just various odds and ends that I needed to help with wiring everything up.

9CF3A95A-2DDE-4F9B-B132-FE08E7A34DD6.jpeg

Definitely a lot going on and a lot to look forward to. I know I try and end my posts with a recent photo or two of the truck, so here is one of my new favorite shots I took of it recently.

0DEA87F7-21D9-432C-A797-5D64E823B499.jpeg
Apologize for the lengthy update, but hey, I'm not forcing you guys to actually read any of this! 😂

Last edited:

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Glad to hear all the good news! Those ditch lights look sweet, that's on my list as well as the switch controller. I just ordered a Bulletpoint Rubigrid mount for my phone and anticipating mounting a switch controller. Can't wait to see some nighttime lit up pics. The mats look real nice and streamlined. I'm a fan of the Husky X act fit, which are more rubbery and pliable than the Mopar ones. How are you liking them and what does the second row coverage look like?. Thanks, keep up the great work as always!

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear all the good news! Those ditch lights look sweet, that's on my list as well as the switch controller. I just ordered a Bulletpoint Rubigrid mount for my phone and anticipating mounting a switch controller. Can't wait to see some nighttime lit up pics. The mats look real nice and streamlined. I'm a fan of the Husky X act fit, which are more rubbery and pliable than the Mopar ones. How are you liking them and what does the second row coverage look like?. Thanks, keep up the great work as always!
Thanks brother! I looked at the rubigrid myself just for that added versatility, but I’m going to see what I can come with as far as mounting solutions first. I’d love to get a custom interior A panel “gauge pod” to hold the controller, but I don’t know the feasibility on that. I’ve seen it done with a switch pro controller on the 4th gens and it looks really clean. I found a company that uses OEM parts that will make custom one-off pods, but I’m not ready to drop that kind of money on a piece of plastic! I don’t know what it would cost but I can’t imagine that it would be cheap. I’ve got a couple of other very simple ideas floating around that may work using the included brackets on the Auxbeam, but I haven’t actually measured anything so I’ll have to follow up on that.

Appreciate it on the pods! I like them too and can’t wait to see them lit up at night. Couldn’t find much information on them, but I do know DV8 is a respected name in the jeep and off-road community. We’ll see, but like mentioned, these may just be a temporary solution if I end up upgrading to another set of lights I’m looking at.

The mats seem to be rubbery and pliable but I’ve never had the OEM slush mats so can’t give a direct comparison. These seem very similar to what I already had, but hey Lasfit offered so I jumped at it. I do think they’re a better product than what I had before, but I’m really looking forward to the first cleanup with them to see how easily they come clean. My other mats were terrible for locking in dirt and sand to the rubber. Really had to sit there and agitate them with an aggressive brush for awhile to break it all loose. Could have sworn I had a picture included of the back but clearly I don’t. Will drop one below.

31D94DBF-B019-432E-AAC3-0F15D10880E7.jpeg

Thanks for the continued support! Looking forward to seeing more of yours once you get those upcoming additions on the truck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread