5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's being stupid again.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
Bear with me, I have slept since then and I don't quite remember the exact timeline.

8.4 Non nav. unit in a 2022 Rebel

A few weeks ago, the wife and I went to town for dinner. While out, the display screen locked up on the "loading" screen. It continued to play music but never got past the loading screen. Let me note here that the area I was driving through has spotty cell service and is why I think that may have been a factor to that issue. The next morning everything was normal driving into work, 1 hour commute to an area that has great cell coverage. When I arrived, I was notified that an update to Uconnect was available for install. I clicked yes or whatever to install and went on into the station. I believe that the issue that was going on the night before was the update trying to download and finally took place on my morning drive.

Now the fun starts...

Since then, I have received several vehicle health reports and have been getting 2 at a time. One will say everything is good and the other will have one of 2 issues listed, charging system fault or airbag sensor fault. The dashboard has zero indicator lights for these said issues. Annoying and i may just turn that stuff off.

Now the freak out...

This morning on the way home from work the unit powers itself down and on the restart, it quickly flashed through several screens and I heard multiple button clicks in a rapid-fire succession. It then did another reboot and when it came back on everthing had been reset to factory defaults but kept the user profile and preset stations. I guess I will have to see how this plays out.

At this point, I have no qualms saying they (Ram, chrysler, stellantis) was dumb thinking UC4 needed to be improved. and I would pay to get rid of UC5

Ramisgood

Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear. We had a radio replaced because it wouldn't keep the presets. The new one, installed last Tuesday, not only loses the station presets but will play my memory stick only part of the time. Today, when the truck was started, it took about half a minute before the radio started playing. I wonder how many other people are having problems with their UConnect 5 radios. Chrysler should not only provide us with a working radio but reimburse us for time and money lost on repetitive trips to the dealership for the same issues.

Sanders

Reaction score
Mine has been a pain. Really disappointed in this truck compared to my 2014 and 2017.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
I had a security module go out on my 07 one ton and that was the only issue with it in 125,000 miles. The 18 3/4 ton we have has been perfect. My experiences with those trucks is why we bought the 22. If I'd known we were going to be lied to by the service departments of the dealers and not get a working radio unit, I would have purchased a different brand.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I'd known we were going to be lied to by the service departments of the dealers and not get a working radio unit,
How have you been lied to? Or did I miss what they lied about.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
How have you been lied to? Or did I miss what they lied about.
Dealership where I purchased the truck: 1) "Truck prepped and ready to go." If it had been fully prepped they would have seen that the radio would not keep any presets. 2) After calling my salesman about the issue when we got home he said he'd have the service manager call me right away. I have no doubt the salesman notified the service manager as he was upright with me throughout the ordering and purchasing process. I waited for 3 /12 days without being contacted and called the service manager only to be told by him that he had the phone in his hands and was just going to call me. 3) The service manager said the radio just needed to be reflashed and we scheduled an appointment for that. After the reflash , it would keep the presets for maybe a week at best.

Dealership two. Took the truck in to have the radio looked at. They told me I needed a new radio and that it would take two weeks. 7 weeks later I had to take the truck back in for a "diagnostic" when the truck had already been diagnosed as faulty. After the radio was replaced I saw the new radio was more hosed than the original (loses presets, reads my thumb drive intermittently and took about 30 seconds to come on after the truck was started). I called the service department at the second dealership that replaced the radio and was told the service agent that handled my case would call me right back. Two days later without any call, I contacted him and was told the radio had been tested. When I told him it hadn't because the clock on the radio was reading Jan. 1, 0001 when I started the truck showing no time was on it at all.

When I was a working man, I worked at a shipyard overhauling the support systems for the reactor plant on submarines. We tested all of the repairs to ensure they operated properly. Intermittent electrical issues were trouble shot until the issues were corrected. Granted the federal government doesn't use the lowest bidders for critical systems and components and will cover time and expense to ensure functional operation.

We spend a bunch of money and deserve trucks that function as advertised and service departments that provide honest service for its customers.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Truck prepped and ready to go." If it had been fully prepped they would have seen that the radio would not keep any presets.
I am sorry but checking radio presets isn't part of a PDI, sometimes these issues don't show their ugly heads for weeks, months later.

What is your radio software level currently? There was an OTA update to correct that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How can I know the radio software level?
On the 12 inch screen go into settings and scroll the left vertical bar all the way down, there's a tab for "software information" and it would have your version there.

It would be S2x.xx something most likely.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
On the 12 inch screen go into settings and scroll the left vertical bar all the way down, there's a tab for "software information" and it would have your version there.

It would be S2x.xx something most likely.
I have the 8.4" screen without Nav. After googling how to find the latest software version, I went to the UConnect website, entered my VIN number and found out I was up to date. None of the features added by UConnect 5 are of interest to me. I'd sure like to be able to get a UConnect 4 system; the one in our 18 is perfect.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the 8.4" screen without Nav. After googling how to find the latest software version, I went to the UConnect website, entered my VIN number and found out I was up to date. None of the features added by UConnect 5 are of interest to me. I'd sure like to be able to get a UConnect 4 system; the one in our 18 is perfect.
Entered the vin into your website doesn't work FYI.
Everyone is always up to date regardless of how out of date they actually are.

It should be in your settings menu somewhere on the 8.4

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is your software version?

Ramisgood

Reaction score
What is your software version?
Entered the vin into your website doesn't work FYI.
Everyone is always up to date regardless of how out of date they actually are.

It should be in your settings menu somewhere on the 8.4
After much looking around for the last 5 minutes I found:

"SYSTEM INFORMATION" then:
"VERSION INFORMATION" under that the following:
"Android Version 8.1.0
"Model FCA R1-Low"
"Kernel Version" with a whole bunch of gobble-****
"Build Number FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.00.15.00 release-keys"

Didn't see anything about a software number.

Thanks for your assistance.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
After much looking around for the last 5 minutes I found:

"SYSTEM INFORMATION" then:
"VERSION INFORMATION" under that the following:
"Android Version 8.1.0
"Model FCA R1-Low"
"Kernel Version" with a whole bunch of gobble-****
"Build Number FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.00.15.00 release-keys"

Didn't see anything about a software number.

Thanks for your assistance.
the 12 inch and 8.4 inch appear to run different firmware versions.

The "FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.00.15.00 release-keys" is your build version.

It looks like FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.00.15.00 might be the latest version for the 8.4 inch but without just asking around there really is no way to tell due to the *** backwards way Ram attempts to push out updates

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
the 12 inch and 8.4 inch appear to run different firmware versions.

The "FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.00.15.00 release-keys" is your build version.

It looks like FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.00.15.00 might be the latest version for the 8.4 inch but without just asking around there really is no way to tell due to the *** backwards way Ram attempts to push out updates
this is the same build number I have
FCA_R1L_ARM64_00.145.00.15.00

this was confusing but getting better

Users who are viewing this thread