5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ITBM not showing up in instrument cluster

Joshua1216

Reaction score
Hey all, So I installed an OEM trailer brake controller in my 2019 Ram 1500, ended up using an OBDII MX with the FCA security bypass module and AlfaOBD to flash it in myself. Enabled the ITBM and switched the three trailer options to yes like I've read on here. So the options on the 8.4 Uconnect screen come up just fine letting me make the type, name selections etc...but nothing showing up in instrument cluster even when I connected my RV to the truck. Any ideas on that? Does it make a difference enabling the ITBM if ignition is at ACC or Run? Basically when I hit + or - on the controller or push the gain lever nothing is happening. Shouldn't I be able to cycle through the Cluster until it shows Trailer Tow and see gain adjustments when my RV is connected? Any ideas on this appreciated.

Konrad

Reaction score
Hey all, So I installed an OEM trailer brake controller in my 2019 Ram 1500, ended up using an OBDII MX with the FCA security bypass module and AlfaOBD to flash it in myself. Enabled the ITBM and switched the three trailer options to yes like I've read on here. So the options on the 8.4 Uconnect screen come up just fine letting me make the type, name selections etc...but nothing showing up in instrument cluster even when I connected my RV to the truck. Any ideas on that? Does it make a difference enabling the ITBM if ignition is at ACC or Run? Basically when I hit + or - on the controller or push the gain lever nothing is happening. Shouldn't I be able to cycle through the Cluster until it shows Trailer Tow and see gain adjustments when my RV is connected? Any ideas on this appreciated.

Yes, you should be able to cycle through the cluster and see the Trailer Tow screen (with Gain, real time brake % etc) even without the trailer connected.

Yes, you should have ignition in RUN when programming with AlfaOBD. If you did it in ACC, I'd simply repeat the procedure in RUN. If I remember correctly, I had a similar problem (left ignition in ACC by mistake).

If you have the "connected" uConnect (8.4”with nav or 12”) it may take some time to register and activate / show the new module. Some people reported having to wait couple hours or even overnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joshua1216

Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to cycle through the cluster and see the Trailer Tow screen (with Gain, real time brake % etc) even without the trailer connected.

Yes, you should have ignition in RUN when programming with AlfaOBD. If you did it in ACC, I'd simply repeat the procedure in RUN. If I remember correctly, I had a similar problem (left ignition in ACC by mistake).

If you have the "connected" uConnect (8.4”with nav or 12”) it may take some time to register and activate / show the new module. Some people reported having to wait couple hours or even overnight.

Ok just did it again with the ignition on run. Does the truck actually have to be started or just ignition set to run without the motor on? Thanks for the info!

Konrad

Reaction score
Ok just did it again with the ignition on run. Does the truck actually have to be started or just ignition set to run without the motor on? Thanks for the info!

Ignition in RUN, but engine not running.

Joshua1216

Reaction score
Ignition in RUN, but engine not running.

Hmm...still not showing up in Cluster. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if it's possible the trailer brake module is bad. I'd think it would still show up though if that was the case, just would show an error. Might have to head into the dealer to get this worked out.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Sincere apologies for even asking this......but......could the plug into the controller module be loose (not fully snapped in)?

It takes some contortion to get your hand up there above the pedal mechanism, so maybe the connector popped loose.

Joshua1216

Reaction score
Sincere apologies for even asking this......but......could the plug into the controller module be loose (not fully snapped in)?

It takes some contortion to get your hand up there above the pedal mechanism, so maybe the connector popped loose.
I'll check that. Pretty sure I got both of them in there when I installed it because I dropped the panel to get access instead of reaching up under it. Worth taking a look though definitely. Cant imagine what else it could be honestly because I've done everything by the book.

Konrad

Reaction score
@Joshua1216 I just remembered - if you still have the problem, MY2013-17 PowerNet in AlfaOBD was the only BCM that worked for me. Even though I was able to connect with two others (2013 PowerNet and 2016-17 PowerNet), they were not able to write my settings properly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Apexbasher

Reaction score
We've been discussing this the last couple of days in the ITBC install thread pinned at the top of the Towing section.
See that discussion HERE
Our conversation revolves around the newer software updates for the PC version of AlfaOBD. When I installed mine back in Feb. the software would force select "MY2016-17 PowerNet" and everything works fine.

HOWEVER, the newer update v2.1.8.0 will now force select "MY2019 PowerNet Var.3" resulting in the same problem you have going on. AlfaOBD has been contacted and we are hoping they will make a fix and release an update OR allow downloads of the version we were all on in Feb.

If you are using the Andriod app I have nothing for you (I don't know diddily about that).

Last edited:

Joshua1216

Reaction score
We've been discussing this the last couple of days in the ITBC install thread pinned at the top of the Towing section.
See that discussion HERE
Our conversation revolves around the newer software updates for the PC version of AlfaOBD. When I installed mine back in Feb. the software would force select "MY2016-17 PowerNet" and everything works fine.

HOWEVER, the newer update v2.1.8.0 will now force select "MY2019 PowerNet Var.3" resulting in the same problem you have going on. AlfaOBD has been contacted and we are hoping they will make a fix and release an update OR allow downloads of the version we were all on in Feb.

If you are using the Andriod app I have nothing for you (I don't know diddily about that).
The android app is doing the same thing...forcing me to the MY2019 PowerNet Var.3, I'm guessing that is the issue though since it still will not show up. Even if I select an alternative it goes directly to that Variant. Frustrating...Ill check out the other thread though. I do have an appt at the dealer tomorrow morning though, I'm sure they'll get it to work.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
The android app is doing the same thing...forcing me to the MY2019 PowerNet Var.3, I'm guessing that is the issue though since it still will not show up. Even if I select an alternative it goes directly to that Variant. Frustrating...Ill check out the other thread though. I do have an appt at the dealer tomorrow morning though, I'm sure they'll get it to work.
There is a new release from AlfaOBD just a few days ago that fixed this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread