5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with music from USB stick

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
I use a USB stick for my music.
About 80% of the time after I start the truck the song that was playing when I turned in off plays for a few seconds and then restarts.
It doesn't seem to happen if it has only been a short break, and it doesn't happen every time after a long break so it seems like it is a bug and not a feature.
Has anyone else had this problem?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, never happened to me, and I installed my USB stick the day I bought it and haven't removed it in over 2 years.

You may want to try a different stick and see if it still does it, then you can confirm it's your radio doing it and not an issue with the stick.

OhioGreenLaramie

Reaction score
Is the computer you copied them from a Mac or a PC? I have a Mac and have had similar issues. I think the readers in the vehicles do better if the music was copied from a PC.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
SD Rebel - That is a good idea, at least rule out the stick.
Johnny _jay - I'm using a PC.

Thanks for the suggestions, it gives me a place to start.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
Well, I thought that a different USB was a good idea. Unfortunately it was not the answer.
Thanks for the suggestions.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
Silly idea. What file system is the stick formatted? Maybe change that?

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
No, I was not able to figure it out. Still an intermittent problem, but it does seem to be happening less often than it used to.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
Silly idea. What file system is the stick formatted? Maybe change that?
Most of the music is MP3.
I am thinking about clearing the stick and reformatting.
Might work like a reboot and fix the problem with "magic".

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
64GB with FAT32 formatting should be fine with MP3 files. That's what I am using.

I think uConnect also reads WAV and FLAC from a thumb drive in addition to MP3 but that's just from some Google-ing (nothing official). I also read something about a JPG file needing to be on the thumb drive too but I don't have any JPGs on my thumb drive and it works fine (although I only have a couple hundred songs on mine).

The only issue I have is if I take my thumb drive out and put it back in while the truck is shut down it has a hard time "finding its spot" (either the song won't play or the next song played isn't the one listed on the screen) and I have to move to a different folder for the head unit to re-index the thumb drive to match up where everything is at.

It's under warranty so you can see if the dealership will re-flash the software to see if that fixes it.

I have also read of a number of people having issues with the USB ports and connections between the head unit and the ports. I don't think that's your issue since you have connectivity but stranger things have happened.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I used WAV format and put in the M3U playlist format using the Windows Media Player on my desktop. No issues.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I had similar issues with my stick using folders for different types of music. Reformatted the stick (fat32) and just put all of the songs onto the "root" and didn't use any folders. 2 years now and no issues. I spoke with a couple of different techs and the general consensus is that I had too many folders and too many songs. Have more songs than I did then, and still zero issues.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
I had similar issues with my stick using folders for different types of music. Reformatted the stick (fat32) and just put all of the songs onto the "root" and didn't use any folders. 2 years now and no issues. I spoke with a couple of different techs and the general consensus is that I had too many folders and too many songs. Have more songs than I did then, and still zero issues.
Thank you!
I had left my music sorted into folders because I had read somewhere that the system would not find all the songs if there were too many outside folders.
After your post I decided that I didn't have anything to lose except time so I transferred everything out of the folders.
After 2 days it appears to have worked.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What size is your thumb drive? IIRC the max that uConnect 4 supports is 64GB.
I don’t know if a recent UConnect update has changed this but I’ve been using my 128GB without issue for the past month. I hadn’t used one before and decided to get onboard…love this better than my CD player! Thank for the tip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 9

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think as long as you don't go past 64GB of music or nest too may folders you'll be fine.

It seems the "supports" is a grey area as many have used larger thumb drives and have had success with less than 64GB of files.

Coops

Reaction score
I use a USB stick for my music.
About 80% of the time after I start the truck the song that was playing when I turned in off plays for a few seconds and then restarts.
It doesn't seem to happen if it has only been a short break, and it doesn't happen every time after a long break so it seems like it is a bug and not a feature.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I realize this is a few months old. I have the same issue with my 22 Rebel. If I change it to the radio for a minute and back to USB it works fine. I was going to try a different 64gb thumb drive but the new one seems to take forever to recognize all of the songs on it. It'd start with only recognizing 2-3 songs. Messing around with the search feature for songs and artists seemed to help it "see" all of the songs or at least show the accurate number of songs on the drive. The usb hub for music seems quirky to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread