5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this what the ambient lighting is supposed to look like?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I have a very uneven light that runs across the upper glove box in my limited. One light is above the door, and the other is coming from inside the glovebox. I can't tell if this is what the ambient lighting is supposed to look like, or if this is the light that is supposed to come on when you open the glove box (and it is stuck on). The picture makes it look better than it does in person. It's basically a very bright light at the top right corner of the glove box door, and another one near the bottom left.
Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 8.37.42 AM.png

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes & No. Ambient lighting is the light coming from under the leather part of the dash to illuminate the Limited logo area.
The light seeping from under the door is an issue. Several have reported similar and have had to have the upper glove box replaced. Mine works as advertised so that the interior glove box light goes off when closing with about 1" still open. You can see it go off as you are closing it.
Obviously just a sensor somewhere that is not functioning but don't know if it is disconnected, broken, or just out of adjustment. If my truck had this, I would try to fix myself before having a service tech dismantle my dash. You might be able to get to it by dropping the lower glove box and getting up behind the upper but this is just theory at this point.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Thank you for the response! That's good to know about the inner light on the upper glove box. I will definitely check that out tonight. The ambient light under the leather portion is supposed to be that uneven? Or is it supposed to be an even glow all the way across the glovebox?

Ickabod

Reaction score
This is the
...The ambient light under the leather portion is supposed to be that uneven? Or is it supposed to be an even glow all the way across the glovebox?
This is the way the light is supposed to be. It just basically lights up the trim name.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the response! That's good to know about the inner light on the upper glove box. I will definitely check that out tonight. The ambient light under the leather portion is supposed to be that uneven? Or is it supposed to be an even glow all the way across the glovebox?

I think it's "supposed to" glow evenly across the wood trim, i.e. that's what the designers had in mind. The reality is that I've seen a lot of variation in how it actually works which I chalk up to varying installations. My Limited looks pretty good above the glove box but is almost nonexistent to the left of the gauges. I can live with that.

Dietz5285

Reaction score
What package does the Ambient lighting come on? I have the dial but nothing happens when I turn it.

slivoman

Reaction score
Are you guys saying there is supposed to be a light inside the top glove box?

I have no light inside when I open it and I have the same issue with the light outside the glove box in the right corner just like the OP's picture.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you guys saying there is supposed to be a light inside the top glove box?

I have no light inside when I open it and I have the same issue with the light outside the glove box in the right corner just like the OP's picture.

Yes, Limited's have a top glove box light. When open you should be able to see the light plastic in the center.
The ambient lighting is a separate issue.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The whole design of this is sub par. When you have the ambient light dial "enabled" at night the gauges and screen dim which is easy on the eyes BUT the problem is when the headlights are on during rain or even at dawn then you can't see the gauges or screen. I never had this issue with Ford because the lighting had nothing to do with the cluster or infotainment screen.

Last edited:

Agitated

Reaction score
The whole design of this is sub par. When you have the ambient light dial "enabled" at night the gauges and screen dim which is easy on the eyes BUT the problem is when the headlights are on during rain or even at dawn then you can't see the gauges or screen. I never had this issue with Ford because the lighting had nothing to do with the cluster or infotainment screen.

Yes that is annoying. However when this happens you can rotate the dial all the way to the top and it will cancel the dimming when the headlights are on.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes that is annoying. However when this happens you can rotate the dial all the way to the top and it will cancel the dimming when the headlights are on.

Right, just don't feel I should have to. This is where I feel RAM shoved "features" in the truck but didn't exactly care if they were refined. Reminds me of Hyundai.

03pghvfr

Reaction score
My dealership stated it was functioning properly, based upon checking a couple other trucks on the lot...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nope. Should light up the whole length of the glove box. Mine is completely dark. Once I have to take my truck in for service, I will have them look at it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a very uneven light that runs across the upper glove box in my limited. One light is above the door, and the other is coming from inside the glovebox. I can't tell if this is what the ambient lighting is supposed to look like, or if this is the light that is supposed to come on when you open the glove box (and it is stuck on). The picture makes it look better than it does in person. It's basically a very bright light at the top right corner of the glove box door, and another one near the bottom left.
View attachment 5453

Should look like this:

Image 8-8-18 at 3.04 PM.jpg

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Should look like this:

View attachment 5615
That looks so nice! I'll have to peek under that part of the dash on mine and see if I can fix it myself. Not really worth taking it to the dealer to try to have it fixed. Based on other posts in this thread, I've learned that the light inside the upper glove box is stuck on in my truck as well. I haven't tried to figure that one out yet.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Other people have taken it and they ended replacing the whole strip, so it may be too much work since you have to dismantle the whole upper dash from what I've heard. I thought about doing it myself also, but dang it, that' the reason we have warranties. Out of principle, I would let RAM deal with this issue.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
If I have another issue that requires a trip to the dealer, maybe I'll tack it on. There's no way I'm taking it in just for this. I've taken my vehicles in with real mechanical issues that the dealer hasn't been able to diagnose/fix; I can't imagine what would happen if I took it in only for this. Here's a photo of it without the flash. Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 1.02.35 PM.png

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If I have another issue that requires a trip to the dealer, maybe I'll tack it on. There's no way I'm taking it in just for this. I've taken my vehicles in with real mechanical issues that the dealer hasn't been able to diagnose/fix; I can't imagine what would happen if I took it in only for this. Here's a photo of it without the flash. View attachment 5616

That actually doesn't look that bad, except for the light coming from inside the glove box.

Mine is completely dark on the glove box portion. Only thing that lights up on that side is the small 1/2 section to the left of the opening.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
That actually doesn't look that bad, except for the light coming from inside the glove box.

Mine is completely dark on the glove box portion. Only thing that lights up on that side is the small 1/2 section to the left of the opening.
The camera picked up a lot more light than there really is. All you can see with the naked eye is the bright spot on the right side. The rest of it is dim enough that you don't see it unless you stick your head close to the glovebox. The light inside is a bigger issue, though.

I actually think my uneven lighting issue has more to do with the glovebox door not being squared up properly (as also exhibited by the inside light only being visible on the left side). I'm thinking I can fix both issues if I can manage to loosen/realign the upper glove box without taking the top of the dash apart. I'm going to try to go up from the lower glovebox and see if I have any success. I wish I could find a service manual for this truck.

Last edited:

taff

Reaction score

How do you make the dimming work? My screen and gauges don't dim at night, I have to manually adjust the dial. I assumed there must be a way to do it but no amount of twiddling with either dial has found the right combination yet.

Users who are viewing this thread