5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Ram Trucks working on a snowplow prep package for the 1500?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to our friends at Real Fast Fotography we have received some interesting photos of a 2019 Ram 150 out testing.

2019 Ram 1500 with Snowplow Photo credit: Real Fast Fotography

This 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie test mule was spotted in metro Detroit. It is currently unknown whether Ram Trucks is working on a snowplow prep package or whether they are testing something else such as a heavy duty package for the 1500. This truck doesn’t seem out of the ordinary otherwise, it still wears the same 6 lug wheels as all 2019 Ram 1500’s and nothing seems odd about the exhaust system giving away any clues as to an updated powertrain.

5thGenRams will of course keep you up to date if the learn anything else about this interesting test truck. Don’t forget to check out our Forums section or check out some of our other articles for more great content.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw a truck the other day that could barely hold its plow off the ground. Most newer trucks wouldn't even allow for a plow.

But that Ram looks born to plow.

I am really amazed with the capability of this truck. I can't wait to see what is coming. We have only found the tip of the iceberg. Great things are coming. Although I know alot of people want the truck now and hopefully lots of people buy it, but I think this is a truck to wait for.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
devildodge said:
I just saw a truck the other day that could barely hold its plow off the ground. Most newer trucks wouldn't even allow for a plow.

But that Ram looks born to plow.

I am really amazed with the capability of this truck. I can't wait to see what is coming. We have only found the tip of the iceberg. Great things are coming. Although I know alot of people want the truck now and hopefully lots of people buy it, but I think this is a truck to wait for.
I found it interesting for sure. Especially since it says in the owners manual for DS models that adding a plow will void your warranty. Then again they could just be torture testing the truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was thinking about this a little and thought, wow look a RamBox.

That plow mount looks pretty engineered.

It still amazes me that you can't get RamBox on tradesman. But up until a few days ago if didn't seem anyone was getting them

I wonder if this is just some torture on the front axle, or if we really will see a 1500 snow chief

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread is getting old, but if anyone has an update, please post. In the 1980s, plowing with 1/2 ton trucks that were far less capable than todays' Ram 1500 was the norm in northern Minnesota. In fact, my FIL still uses his 1967 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 to plow the driveway from their farm to the highway, which is about 1/8th mile. Now that my wife and I live on a farm and have 2 mile trek to the highway and the potential for 30+" of snow per season (average 21"), a plow is not a bad idea. Sure, having 4WD makes access a "non-issue" for the truck, but others traffic (mail truck, wife's SUV, UPS, etc) appreciate plowed roads, which also reduces the potential for rutting.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Pretty sure that due to the splayed frame rails a snow plow package is out of the question. Also pretty sure Ram answered this question in an interview somewhere

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What @Kramersp a said and when 1500 lost solid front axles was the end for plowing with them with a warrenty.

But for sure that spy photo was promising, with the new axles was very hopeful

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy plows for 1500 trucks. But they aren't much more than a blade you manually operate and I am sure it won't take much abuse.

I have seen plows getting down to the 700 lb range, but most are from 900 to 1300 lbs...almost all the payload of a 1500 and way over the GAWR

Kramersp

Reaction score
Axles I doubd are the deciding factor seeing how you can get factory snow plow prep from GM and Ford for the 1500's. All have IFS

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Axles I doubd are the deciding factor seeing how you can get factory snow plow prep from GM and Ford for the 1500's. All have IFS
Thanks for the info. I did not know the others still offered it as I was under the impression you had to get a 3500 to get a plow prep with a Chevy and I know nothing about fords. Heard that about the chevy from a colleague who was in the market for one, maybe he got bad info too

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting so in 2014 ford brought it back. 450 lb weight for it and Boss makes a snow plow that size. Good to know.

Guess there is more hope than I thought.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chevy requires a regular cab for the snow plow prep.

Maybe when the regular cab 5th Gen comes out we will get more news. Just hoping.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I had never really looked into the light duty plow world. Both Boss and Meyer make systems that would likely work on the new Ram. They seem to be fairly universal fit, using a front receiver. I'd want to talk to some folks who are using them before committing, but it is nice to know some options exist.

DrawTite already has a front receiver for the 2019 Ram. (Note: It will not fit trucks with the factor tow hooks). This is the same company I used when looking for a receiver hitch on our 2018 Audi Q5, another new model at the time. It fit perfect, and I was very impressed with the customer service from Etrailer.Com A front receiver would be handy for several reasons here on the farm--mounting a winch, moving trailers, temporary tow hook--the opportunities are almost endless.

Last edited:

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are the installation instructions for the front receiver. It appears to be a quality product that would allow temporary use of a receiver based snow plow. I see it is rated for 500#, and the plows are 260-490# and cost $1500-3000.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My two favorite plow rigs can be found here
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/my-first-gens.147/

I would really like to get a new plow truck for our camp, but I sold those two trucks and we haven't got much snow lately(we have been blessed with ice)

Thanks for the info about the front reciever hitch @356 .

If you get around to getting it please post up a thread about it, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

Reactions: 356

RTIF

Reaction score
Thanks to our friends at Real Fast Fotography we have received some interesting photos of a 2019 Ram 150 out testing.

This 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie test mule was spotted in metro Detroit. It is currently unknown whether Ram Trucks is working on a snowplow prep package or whether they are testing something else such as a heavy duty package for the 1500. This truck doesn’t seem out of the ordinary otherwise, it still wears the same 6 lug wheels as all 2019 Ram 1500’s and nothing seems odd about the exhaust system giving away any clues as to an updated powertrain.

5thGenRams will of course keep you up to date if the learn anything else about this interesting test truck. Don’t forget to check out our Forums section or check out some of our other articles for more great content.

My two favorite plow rigs can be found here
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/my-first-gens.147/

I would really like to get a new plow truck for our camp, but I sold those two trucks and we haven't got much snow lately(we have been blessed with ice)

Thanks for the info about the front reciever hitch @356 .

If you get around to getting it please post up a thread about it, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

Storksplows.com sells the mount for the 2019 Ram 1500 5th gen. I just purchased and installed one on my 2019 5th gen, Ram no problems. Easy install of both the plow mount and the new plug & play harness, no splicing of wires.

33950 WESTERN MOUNT 2019+ DODGE RAM 1500 ULTRAMOUNT

Sales reps name was Ana. super nice and very knowledgable !!! They have one left in stock.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
We're a Western and Boss dealer in CNY and just got our western mounts in for the 2019 ram 1500's. Here's some pics. IMG_4608.JPG IMG_4609.JPG IMG_4610.JPG IMG_4611.JPG IMG_4612.JPG IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4615.JPG IMG_4616.JPG

RTIF

Reaction score

They are being sold at Storksplows.com

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Storksplows.com sells the mount for the 2019 Ram 1500 5th gen. I just purchased and installed one on my 2019 5th gen, Ram no problems. Easy install of both the plow mount and the new plug & play harness, no splicing of wires.

33950 WESTERN MOUNT 2019+ DODGE RAM 1500 ULTRAMOUNT

Sales reps name was Ana. super nice and very knowledgable !!! They have one left in stock.

Just as poster "Kramersp" stated above, I too recall a Ram engineer being interviewed at the 2019 5th-gen "DT" introduction in January, 2018, and the engineer said the new 1500 was not allowed to do snow-plow duty, due to the new "splayed frame rails" up front for meeting occupant protection in frontal collisions. Can you say how your plow mount gets around that?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure how applicable this is however Car and Driver had said this about the snowplow issue: (Buried in a story about E Torque, of all things...)
By K.C. COLWELL
MAR 14, 2019

"Any would-be Mr. Plow will be a little disappointed that Ram doesn't recommend attaching plows to the 1500's frame. It isn't a question of overloading the electrical system; eTorque is designed to handle the load of many 12-volt accessories. Instead, it has to do with the Ram 1500's frame-rail design. To combat offset head-on crashes, the frame rails at the front of the truck are splayed out 23 degrees, and the varying-gauge steel—designed to accordion in a crash—isn't meant to support the cantilevered load of a snowplow out front. Ram's recommendation: Get a three-quarter- or one-ton truck."

End of quote

Users who are viewing this thread