5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is front lower control arm ball joint replaceable.

Tazithman

Reaction score
was putting my 2 inch mopar lift on and while torquing everything to spec, the 8mm end of the ball joint spun off. I was able to torque the bolt to spec so it should be good for now.

When shopping, the cheapest arm I found was $300. Anyone know if the ball joint is replaceable by itself and a part number to look for?

follow up question, I know nothing of alignments and need to get my truck to a shop to do it after the lift but am unsure if I need to fiz/replace control arm before I do. Is the control arm ball joint loosened for an alignment? Like I said, it was torqued when it spun off so its fine until that bolt needs to be loosened because you won't be able to torque it to spec after that.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone makes it, it would be Moog. Ball joint not involved with the alignment, no worries there.

Tazithman

Reaction score
Socks cuz I did it myself to save $600 from dealer. Of I get stuck paying $300 for a control arm I woulda rather just had the dealer so it

Tazithman

Reaction score
If anyone makes it, it would be Moog. Ball joint not involved with the alignment, no worries there.
Just what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully that arm can just sit for a few years until aftermarket stuff comes out. Thnx man

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Actually, because of manufacturing tolerances, the replacement ball joint may be ever so slightly dimensionally different than the existing ball joint, so an alignment check should be done after you replace the ball joint. Alignment check any time you replace a ball joint, control arm, tie rod, steering gear, or the vertical link (also called the steering knuckle).
Also, alignment check any time you permanently raise or lower the suspension from stock, to keep toe, camber and caster within spec.

Steve

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I’ve seen replacing ball joints change the alignment... while it might not be enough to notice driving, it is measurable usually.
Actually, because of manufacturing tolerances, the replacement ball joint may be ever so slightly dimensionally different than the existing ball joint, so an alignment check should be done after you replace the ball joint. Alignment check any time you replace a ball joint, control arm, tie rod, steering gear, or the vertical link (also called the steering knuckle).
Also, alignment check any time you permanently raise or lower the suspension from stock, to keep toe, camber and caster within spec.

Steve

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I was referring to is to the OP question if they have to loosen the ball joint to perform the alignment, which they do not.

Shmam-20

Reaction score
Man i have this same problem i got a bad front left lower ball joint only thing they sale is a whole control arm for 600$, or 300$ aftermarket one. It sucks shouldnt really need to waste that much on a simple ball joint.

FishOn

Reaction score
After an "incident" with my UCAs, I had to replace both the upper and lower BJs and the only option I could find for the lower was the complete lower CA with the BJ from Mopar (without going aftermarket). I've was told by my shop that the factory lower BJs cannot be replaced.

echristi

Reaction score
My dealer has my truck right now for a front end clunk they determined was the driver side ball joint "a little loose". They have to replace the lower control arm to fix it - just for information :)

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my '08 Big Horn, front wheel bearings were going out. You have to buy
the whole hub assembly. You cannot just get a new set of bearings like you
used to. I had the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on the truck. They did not
cover the front hubs. Mine was a 4x4, so a drive axle went thru the hubs
making it part of the Powertrain. I could see them not covering them for a 4x2.

Malodave

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Sealed bearing hubs have been the standard for a couple decades now... for most vehicles they’re actually not that expensive.

brewmastr

Reaction score
What do you mean by spun off. A picture might help with this. Ball joints are supposed to swivel and rotate and if broke you wouldnt be able to use it or safely drive on it so im really not sure there is anything wrong here.

Shmam-20

Reaction score
was putting my 2 inch mopar lift on and while torquing everything to spec, the 8mm end of the ball joint spun off. I was able to torque the bolt to spec so it should be good for now.

When shopping, the cheapest arm I found was $300. Anyone know if the ball joint is replaceable by itself and a part number to look for?

follow up question, I know nothing of alignments and need to get my truck to a shop to do it after the lift but am unsure if I need to fiz/replace control arm before I do. Is the control arm ball joint loosened for an alignment? Like I said, it was torqued when it spun off so its fine until that bolt needs to be loosened because you won't be able to torque it to spec after that.
Man im kinda in the same problem. I got a bad front left lower ball joint and i cant find one anywhere other than buying the 600$ oem but something so simple shouldnt be that expensive let me know if u guys find another fix or another aftermarket company that makes one let me know my tires are already uneven from the bad ball joint

Ram1992

Reaction score
I was just notified the same. Lower BJ are shot. I located some at 400$ a piece.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just notified the same. Lower BJ are shot. I located some at 400$ a piece.
Did you ever get your lowers replaced? Just had my truck inspected and was told I have quite a bit of play in both lower ball joints. If you got them replaced was it covered under warranty?

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you ever get your lowers replaced? Just had my truck inspected and was told I have quite a bit of play in both lower ball joints. If you got them replaced was it covered under warranty?
How many miles are on your truck? Hard to believe the ball joints are already shot.

Ram1992

Reaction score
I had to purchase new arms. They were not covered by warranty. I have 46k miles .

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many miles are on your truck? Hard to believe the ball joints are already shot.
35k miles. This is my thought as well but I do get some clunking in the front when on rougher back roads. I'm going to take it to the dealer this week before my warranty run out just to see what their thoughts are. .

Users who are viewing this thread