5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a Picture Worth a Thousand Words?

Lugnut

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to Ram, new to the Ram Forums but not new to extreme mods; 'tis my catnip.

Exciting project underway. Was asked by management not to say too much beforehand but it's nearly complete and, hopefully, a picture is worth a thousand words.

More to come,
Peace

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-165621_Uconnect.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-165621_Uconnect.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 692

Chuck19

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to Ram, new to the Ram Forums but not new to extreme mods; 'tis my catnip.

Exciting project underway. Was asked by management not to say too much beforehand but it's nearly complete and, hopefully, a picture is worth a thousand words.

More to come,
Peace
Definitely not worth 1000 words, really only worth one word....... AWESOME!!!!!

Lugnut

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Update:

2021 ProCharger Beta project complete. I have not seen truck yet but ProCharger management informed me that the project was a success. Modest boost and tune, all-year, daily-driver, pump gas setup the ProCharger kit added 125 wheel horsepower over stock. The kit integrated into all vehicle systems and technology perfectly. I think that it is particularly impressive since the truck was bone stock down to every detail; not even catback in it.

The standard equation for drivetrain power loss from crank to wheels is .85. That means that the truck made about 144 HP from ProCharger on a setup geared toward drivability and longevity.

The truck is now on its way to BDS Suspension to receive a beta 4" air ride lift kit for the 2021 Rebel. It's also getting fitted with 35x17x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Method Race Wheels.

More to come; stay tuned (pun intended)...

Lugnut

Reaction score
The suspense is KILLING me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210403-134004_Uconnect.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-134004_Uconnect.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 127

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
35x17x12.5 Nitto Ridg
Question. Obviously you are not going with 12.5 inch wheels. So, assuming a typo. But that would mean 17 inch wheels....these 5th Gens have to have 18 inch or bigger, and some 18 inch designs are not big enough.

Just curious what you are actually going with.

Lugnut

Reaction score
Hi DevilDodge,

Actually I just posted the information like a careless idiot but thank you for the kind 'typo' description. That's appreciated.

When I got approved for the BDS 2021 Rebel Air Ride 4" Beta Lift Kit project, I spoke with one of their engineers; kind of like pre-project speculation and brainstorming. Actually he spoke and I rapidly took notes. I asked him if I could keep my stock wheels for the time being; to get time to recuperate finances from the costs of this project (the supercharger was a great deal but not free) and he informed me that stock wheels would not work with the upgraded steering knuckles. He made some suggestions; such as Nitto Ridge Grapplers (as opposed to Trail Grapplers) given my uses of the vehicle and preferences. He told me to start looking at wheels and he thought that the right size would be 17 x 9" with a 4.5" backspace. He advised 17s because I told him I wanted the smallest possible wheel with the tallest possible tire sidewall. He didn't tell me to 'pull the trigger' and purchase but to start looking; window shop.

It could be that he just hadn't seen a 2021 model with larger brakes? In another thread on this forum I was advised that 17" rims would not fit these vehicles. That is what makes enthusiast forums such as this so valuable - knowledge sharing. I'm newbie on this site and already got very valuable information. I don't take it for granted and will do my best to reciprocate.

Anyway, I called back the BDS engineer and told him of the brake size problem with 17" rims. I asked him if the calipers (assuming front brakes are the issue) could be shaved enough - without compromising structural integrity - to allow for 17" rims. He has the truck now and is looking into it.

I'm hoping it's a go because I have my heart set on Method 105 beadlocks in matte black with a raw machined beadlock ring. I saw a similar rig with Fuel Trophy wheels and it looked stunning. A dark colored truck with black wheels but a light-colored beadlock ring breaks up the darkness and creates interesting lines.

If no-go on shaving the calipers to accommodate 17's or too risky to attempt, I will keep looking; maybe Method Double-Standards or the Fuel Trophy but I'd hate to lose the true bead lock function. I'm on the Jersey coast and intend to surf fish with the truck, bringing the tires down to 5-10 psi while driving across the beach on the sugar sand. Surf fishing stripers is timeless culture around here.

If all goes well, I will also install a 12v onboard ARB air compressor and will document and post it here.

Any thoughts please don't hesitate. I greatly appreciate the sanity check of my plans.

Lugnut

Reaction score
I also wanted to go with 37s but BDS advised 35s. OK but...how come? What's wrong with my calculator? Our stock tires are 33 and with a 4" lift kit; even with air ride up and down.... 37 should clear even at lowest setting, no?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Stock 18’s barely clear the calipers by less than 1/4”. Fitting a 17” would require revised brake rotor diameter and different calipers to gain 3/4”. Look at 18+, and at that many aftermarket 18’s don’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lugnut

Reaction score
You guys were right. Thank you for the accurate info sharing. It makes a difference.

BDS techs were kind enough to put some 17" wheels up on the truck and closely compare for clearance or near-clearance with caliper shaving (grinding down of outer casting of brake calipers). They concluded that it was not do-able; would require about 5/8" of shaving and the meat ain't there.

Decided to go with Mopar beadlock-capable 18" wheels, part # 82215259AB. This is an 18x8" wheel with a 19mm offset; which translates into just over 5" of backspace. They're being shoe'd with 35x12.5 R18 Ridge Grapplers. Project is in the home stretch.

Chuck19

Reaction score
2021 Rebel with beta ProCharger kit and beta BDS 4" air-ride suspension kit, Mopar beadlock-capable wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5 R18s.
Are you serious!? After the long wait all we get is 1 pic from the outside? lets get some more pics posted from different angles and definitely need an engine bay pic!!!

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Rebel with beta ProCharger kit and beta BDS 4" air-ride suspension kit, Mopar beadlock-capable wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5 R18s.
What did thebead lock mopar run you ? And can i get piics of engine bay hha

Lugnut

Reaction score
LMAO!! Thank you, the interest and support is much appreciated.

I don't have the truck back yet. A marketing executive of Sport Truck USA sent me that pic yesterday and I immediately posted it on here.

With COVID and supply chains being in upheaval all over the country, the project is taking a little longer than originally expected. I know that the chief of their technical department was quarantined at home for two weeks for possible COVID exposure - just like the rest of us!

I get restless and antsy a lot waiting for project completion but then I remember that the rig could not be in better hands and how lucky an idiot like me is to have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like this; to get such mods from the country's best surgeons.

But MAN OH MAN it's a daily nail-biter!! Beta projects - even with the best in the business - are not for the faint of heart!

BDS just got my drop-ship of wheels and tires at end of day Monday 4/26 and I got that pic just two days later so they are TOTALLY on the ball. And I believe that they are doing fine-tuning with integration of the truck's vast technology and their lift kit system.

The Mopar beadlock wheels are Part Number 82215259AB. They come with a non-functional bead lock lip that can be upgraded to FUNCTIONAL bead lock with the purchase of a Mopar functional lip. I bought them from a Chrysler dealership that is two miles away from BDS Suspension headquarters in Coldwater, MI. I did that because shipping for the rims was the biggest expense. The dealership gave me 10% off and delivered the wheels to BDS, which was very gracious of them.

I will video and pic truck, blower, lift, drives, review, street racing, tromping on the beach at 5 PSI tire pressure, etc. Promise, I appreciate the interest!!

Users who are viewing this thread