5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent inconsistent FM Radio volume

eugenedawg

Reaction score
I've got a 2019 Laramie that I purchased in September.
Over the past couple of months I've noticed that the volume on several FM radio stations have inconsistent volume levels. That is, they will get really quiet, then come back to normal volume level and go up and down on about a 7-10 second cycle. I don't think it's the reception, since I drive the same route to work each day and sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not, and I didn't have any reception problems the first few months nor with any other radio.
It will vary with each start of the truck. Turning the power off/on doesn't seem to help - it only resets to normal when restarting the truck.
AM and SXM are fine - it's only FM.
Anyone else experience anything weird like this? Any suggestions?

MWLRam

Reaction score
Over the past couple of months I've noticed that the volume on several FM radio stations have inconsistent volume levels. That is, they will get really quiet, then come back to normal volume level and go up and down on about a 7-10 second cycle. I don't think it's the reception, since I drive the same route to work each day and sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not, and I didn't have any reception problems the first few months nor with any other radio.
It will vary with each start of the truck. Turning the power off/on doesn't seem to help - it only resets to normal when restarting the truck.
I've been having the same problem. Dealer just did a radio update today that is supposed to correct the issue. We shall see...

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine had this issue as yours, although I assume my Big Horn has a different radio that your Laramie.

The work around was to switch audio sources and then switch back. In other words, when it happens, switch to AM them back to FM and it should correct itself.

The permanent solution, for me anyway, was to have the radio updated to the latest Rev by the dealer. Has not reoccurred since.

Jtc411

Reaction score
Mine had this issue as yours, although I assume my Big Horn has a different radio that your Laramie.

The work around was to switch audio sources and then switch back. In other words, when it happens, switch to AM them back to FM and it should correct itself.

The permanent solution, for me anyway, was to have the radio updated to the latest Rev by the dealer. Has not reoccurred since.

What software version are you on?

eugenedawg

Reaction score

Thanks... I've started doing the source switching and that does seem to resolve the issue. I'll check with my dealer about the latest Rev for the software on my next visit.

eugenedawg

Reaction score
On my last service I had the dealer upgrade the UConnect software. There is a new release that specifically addresses this, so it's a known issue that they have a fix for.
New update has worked fine.

ogilly0753

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced radio volume issue? I have started my 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn and no volume. For phone calls I could hear the person calling but could not reply. The first several times I had my Samsung paired with system a Note 8. Took to dealer and they could not find anything but recommended to unpair anything paired to system. Then re-install. I have not had any further issues until last week. It happened twice with no volume; system on with display working normal; volume would change but no sound. First time phone was paired; powered system off, re-started truck at stop light with no change. Changed to AM then to FM volume came on. Second time NO phone paired and no volume again. Followed the same procedures I did last time and again when I went to AM then to FM and volume came on. Plan on calling dealer again to see if any bulletins on issue.

Users who are viewing this thread