5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior Light LED Upgrade , with Sunroof

Royal27

Reaction score
So I want to do the typical LED upgrade but I have a sunroof and cant find instructions for the "dome" lights that are above each rear door. All of the instructions I see are for the standard center dome light.

I dont want to just start prying and mess stuff up. Has anyone done this and can give some instruction?

Thanks!

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I want to do the typical LED upgrade but I have a sunroof and cant find instructions for the "dome" lights that are above each rear door. All of the instructions I see are for the standard center dome light.

I dont want to just start prying and mess stuff up. Has anyone done this and can give some instruction?

Thanks!

If already came with LED then you can not change it.

fatNfurious

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I am doing mine soon and can't find it in any YouTube Videos for the rear interior lights.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
I can't imagine them being any difference, just use a plastic prying tool, and pop it out... rule of thumbs is always to pull it straight out, not at an angle unless told otherwise. I used to be afraid of taking off the pillars, headliners, door panels, dash, dashboard, lights fixtures, etc....but now, I just pry and pull all of them straight out, that way you won't risking breaking the clips.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't imagine them being any difference, just use a plastic prying tool, and pop it out... rule of thumbs is always to pull it straight out, not at an angle unless told otherwise. I used to be afraid of taking off the pillars, headliners, door panels, dash, dashboard, lights fixtures, etc....but now, I just pry and pull all of them straight out, that way you won't risking breaking the clips.

one is tradition removable bulb and one is LED solder to PCB.

c0mbatVet

Reaction score
I have the sunroof and my interior lights such as my map lights and the ones above the rear door are LED from the factory and I am guessing its the same for all with the sunroof. The only interior ones I felt the need to change were the footwell lights because they were halogen and a softer color than the rest of the interior lights.

Royal27

Reaction score
I have the sunroof and my interior lights such as my map lights and the ones above the rear door are LED from the factory and I am guessing its the same for all with the sunroof. The only interior ones I felt the need to change were the footwell lights because they were halogen and a softer color than the rest of the interior lights.

My rear lights suck, so was hoping to brighten them. Your map lights are already LED though? From everything I've read at least some of those dont seek to be? Theh are certainly replacable.

At least thr map lights don't just pop out and thr assembly has to be removed. Thus my concern although you're probably right.

Slumlord

Reaction score
There was a thread on here by a guy who replaced all his interior bulbs to LED. He also made a video of it. I'll look and see if I can find it again and post the link.

Royal27

Reaction score
There was a thread on here by a guy who replaced all his interior bulbs to LED. He also made a video of it. I'll look and see if I can find it again and post the link.

I think I've seen it. Problem is, no sunroof. If it has the sunroof then awesome !

c0mbatVet

Reaction score
My rear lights suck, so was hoping to brighten them. Your map lights are already LED though? From everything I've read at least some of those dont seek to be? Theh are certainly replacable.

At least thr map lights don't just pop out and thr assembly has to be removed. Thus my concern although you're probably right.

Yes my stock map lights are definitely LED's. Here are photos of my stock LED map lights, stock LED back door lights, aftermarket Lasfit LED footwell lights, and stock halogen glove box light which I haven't changed. You can see the softer/yellower color of Halogen vs the LED's.... 20200705_220405_20200705221942942.jpg 20200705_220424_20200705222202671.jpg 20200705_220441.jpg 20200705_220704.jpg

c0mbatVet

Reaction score
...and let me add that no the stock LED map lights and back door lights are not exactly very bright, but the light that they do emit is a nice clean white color.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score

Thanks!

I've been pondering the same thing.
I have a Laramie with the a sunroof and LED interior lights and the illumination in the dark is pitiful. I upgraded the vanity mirror lights with LEDs and it does help provide more light in the dark but misses the point of having dedicated interior lights. I think I will eventually add extra LEDs to the interior. I would like to incorporate them into the headliner around the sunroof opening.

Attachments

• _IMG_20200629_125834.jpg
    _IMG_20200629_125834.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread