5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intake air box mesh upper liner?

ArkJones

Reaction score
I’m not even sure how to search this thing, so near with me if it has a name. :)

Recently bought a 2020 Rebel 5.7 eTorque. Traded up from a 2014 Jeep GC Overland 5.7, so I’ve been fairly familiar with the Hemi setup. However going through my own service checkup (didn’t trust the nonMopar dealership lol), I was puzzled by the “mesh” liner/surface on the top side of the air box. What is the purpose of this barrier? I’ve never seen it on any of my previous vehicles. Looks to be perma-pinned to the box.

Seems like it would only further restrict air flow. Especially in the case of the oil that was collected on it from the previously mentioned dealer’s over fill. Grrr

My urge is to remove that extra resistance, but was curious if I’m missing some important aspect. Seems like an odd thing for Mopar to just randomly add, so must have some great purpose lol

Thoughts?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's just a carbon filter, for emissions reasons. What's interesting is, carbon has a finite life, it gets filled up pretty quick, could be useless already.

Quite a few people remove them, especially after adding a drop-in performance air filter.

It's just held on by I think 4 plastic welds, easy to cut off. But make sure to remove the box first before cutting off the welds so you don't accidentally introduce broken pieces of plastic into your engine.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everything @SD Rebel said. On a brand new truck you wouldn't notice any difference in flow. Depending on usage and maintenance, you likely won't see any change by removing it on a used vehicle, but any restriction is a bad restriction in my book. I removed the filter on my last Ram by popping the rivets with a paint can opener.

Funny thing, the RamAir on my GT doesn't come with any carbon filter.... am I somehow contributing to global warming? ;)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It doesn’t do anything, but I pulled mine off. No ill affects.

cliffsta

Reaction score
FWIW, one of my previous cars was a Genesis Coupe, and someone dyno’ed removing the carbon filter and adding a K&N and they saw a 8HP increase. Decent gain for a car that made 300HP and weighed 3500 pounds.

ArkJones

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It’s coming off this evening. It’s obviously been compromised by the oil blowback.
Seems counter intuitive for emissions to have something in there that eventually degrades performance. But I’m sure the manufactures just need it to pass the initial mandates to get out the door. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread