5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing a Dashcam in the 2019 RAM 1500

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking into a dashcam for obvious reasons. I am unsure how I am going to give it always-on power, though.

Is there an internal fuse box within the truck that can be accessed easily for a fuse tap? If not, how have you installed your dashcam(s)? I am curious and would love to hear some feedback.

Thank you for your time. :)

Damion

Reaction score
Theres a fuse panel below the steering wheel, behind the knee panel. 2 Screws and it'll pop off. There should be both keyed power and constant power that you can tap into

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Thank you! I figured that was the case, but I wasn’t sure without opening it up. :)

I’m definitely more intrigued and will be installing a camera soon.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may help:

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! I figured that was the case, but I wasn’t sure without opening it up. :)

I’m definitely more intrigued and will be installing a camera soon.
Yeah, just 2 screw and u can pull it out, very easy. Installed my dashcam powered by fuse box and radar detector using mirror tap cable.

Damion

Reaction score
Ill join the club, been installing 12v for near 20 years now. Crazy how the industry has changed since I first got into it.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the offer! That’s awesome and I really appreciate it. :)

Captain Stack

Reaction score
I installed the Blackvue 750 2 channel cam in my 2019 Ram Limited. Both front and real full HD video with excellent night vision capability.

I also installed the Power Magic Pro found on the same page for always on power that will shut off before draining the battery. I ran the wires under the liner and down the A pillar to tap into the fuse panel below the drivers knee panel. Detailed instructions and YT vids are available, so it was a flawless install.

Ram Man 2019

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie. Can anyone send a screen shot of which fuse I can tap into for a radar detector install? Tried finding one myself, but ended up getting errors and an check engine light.

Islandram

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie. Can anyone send a screen shot of which fuse I can tap into for a radar detector install? Tried finding one myself, but ended up getting errors and an check engine light.
Hi, Not much help, but we both have the same year Ram 1500 with "which fuse to connect a fuse tap" in a 2019 Ram!
From what I have read online, access the fuse box under the steering column (remove two bolts and then unclip from the top of the panel) to reveal fuse box. Locate fuse 66 (lower right corner of fuse box).

Now MY WARNING!!!! I am NOT an auto electrician, so may be wrong..SOMEONE CORRECT ME if I am! If you are using the BlackVue Front/rear cams with the additional "Power magic battery" or even a 6.5 amp current draw; BE CAREFUL!!! The Fuse No .66 uses a 10amp fuse, (for factory Psgr window/sunroof power) the "battery pack" if connected to cigarette lighter socket draws 6.5 amps. If however you "hard wire to the fuse box" (and set selection switch on Power magic battery from cigarette to fuse box) it will draw up to 13.5AMPS!!! when charging this auxiliary battery!.

Having regard to the existing 10amp fuse you are now (my understanding) having to insert a 15 amp fuse (or another 10amp at least) into the fuse tap to support the BlackVue battery /hard wire power demand. Anyone who knows otherwise, Please chime in!!! You could be then "over drawing" in excess of the amperage of actual vehicle WIRING that goes to this fuse socket due to potential current draw 13.5amp + sunroof Amp draw + psgr window Amp Draw (how many amps? ). Resulting in Wiring damage/fire/damage to powered items/check engine lights/voided warranties?
If you have already experienced Check Engine light/errors, what will this type connection give, let alone potential over draw current on wiring not designed to piggy back such a substantial extra current draw? It probably won't blow either fuse as there won't be a short...but it could result in burning out the wiring/ overheating/melting or stopping items on this fuse wiring working altogether or a fire in the dash!

This type of camera wiring connection is an increasingly common question on these boards, so PLEASE, if someone can confirm or discount this claim I have made and provide a "safe and effective" wiring to fuse box it would both help and save future grief. I have read that members have had success with Fuse 66 using a fuse tap without issue, a single dashcam? Perhaps OK, but BlackVue or dual cams, I believe is a whole new ball of string. Thank you.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi, Not much help, but we both have the same year Ram 1500 with "which fuse to connect a fuse tap" in a 2019 Ram!
From what I have read online, access the fuse box under the steering column (remove two bolts and then unclip from the top of the panel) to reveal fuse box. Locate fuse 66 (lower right corner of fuse box).

Now MY WARNING!!!! I am NOT an auto electrician, so may be wrong..SOMEONE CORRECT ME if I am! If you are using the BlackVue Front/rear cams with the additional "Power magic battery" or even a 6.5 amp current draw; BE CAREFUL!!! The Fuse No .66 uses a 10amp fuse, (for factory Psgr window/sunroof power) the "battery pack" if connected to cigarette lighter socket draws 6.5 amps. If however you "hard wire to the fuse box" (and set selection switch on Power magic battery from cigarette to fuse box) it will draw up to 13.5AMPS!!! when charging this auxiliary battery!.

Having regard to the existing 10amp fuse you are now (my understanding) having to insert a 15 amp fuse (or another 10amp at least) into the fuse tap to support the BlackVue battery /hard wire power demand. Anyone who knows otherwise, Please chime in!!! You could be then "over drawing" in excess of the amperage of actual vehicle WIRING that goes to this fuse socket due to potential current draw 13.5amp + sunroof Amp draw + psgr window Amp Draw (how many amps? ). Resulting in Wiring damage/fire/damage to powered items/check engine lights/voided warranties?
If you have already experienced Check Engine light/errors, what will this type connection give, let alone potential over draw current on wiring not designed to piggy back such a substantial extra current draw? It probably won't blow either fuse as there won't be a short...but it could result in burning out the wiring/ overheating/melting or stopping items on this fuse wiring working altogether or a fire in the dash!

This type of camera wiring connection is an increasingly common question on these boards, so PLEASE, if someone can confirm or discount this claim I have made and provide a "safe and effective" wiring to fuse box it would both help and save future grief. I have read that members have had success with Fuse 66 using a fuse tap without issue, a single dashcam? Perhaps OK, but BlackVue or dual cams, I believe is a whole new ball of string. Thank you.
Dude...you WAY over thought this and you and made the answer far too complicated. The answer to the OP's question is very simple:

1. Buy a Power Magic Pro (PMP)
2. Connect the PMP to the fuse box under the steering wheel
3. This connection will include 3 wires: BATTERY, ACCESSORY and GROUND
4. Connect the camera to the output of the PMP
5. Use FUSE TAPS for the BATT and ACC wires
6. Install no greater than a 3A fuse in the FUSE TAPS as cameras or radar detectors do not draw more than 1A
7. You're Done!

See threads #47 and #329 from thread #4 above.

I have been installing car electronics for over 40 years. @TheMadDutchDude ...if you want to PM me, I'll share my cell and you are welcome to call me and I'll help you the best I can via phone. In the Dash Cam thread from a while back are pics of my install of both my Blackvue DR750S and my Uniden Radar Detector.

Last edited:

Islandram

Reaction score
Fully agree I went "deep" but.....as a fair few are discussing fitting the BlackVue cameras and the "additional" battery pack to avoid battery discharge when parked for extended periods. Hence the warning and question regarding exceeding the ability of the factory wiring (fuse 66) to a "a 10amp fuse" being inadequate to support these battery packs requirement of drawing in excess of 13 amps to charge the battery! Wholly agree with your post, a single camera "alone" will only draw tiny amps and not be an issue. It's when someone accepts the 10 amp Fuse 66 as "a working solution" and hooks up a Blackvue back up battery to that 66 fuse as a safe power source! That panel is bolted closed....so when some wiring starts smoking due to current overdraw, you can't get to the fuse box to disconnect! I posted the long winded response as there was no mention of dash cam make and to hopefully an opportunity to warn or make any others "consider" this issue before connecting a battery pack if they were searching for a "How to connect a dash cam". My apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread