5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed Magnaflow 11229 muffler

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all, like many others here I felt the stock exhaust left something to be desired. That said, I had the magnaflow 11229 muffler welded in place of my OEM muffler over the holiday weekend and I gotta say, I think it sounds perfect (should've sounded at least like this from the factory).

Definitely more aggressive on cold start and much more rumble at idle. I've noticed a very slight bit of drone (nothing intolerable IMO) but only if you're holding a gear at the upper end of its rev range (on uphills mostly) but none w/MDS active. Other than that it offers a nice quiet ride in the cab during cruise but will open up under WOT. I'll try to upload the cold start video directly w/o having to source from youtube but can confirm what others have said is 100% accurate: sound clips don't do this setup justice; you really have to hear it in person.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yeah, MF is hard to beat in my opinion.
I love my B2 MF setup. Sounds amazing for not too much coin.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Yeah, MF is hard to beat in my opinion.
I love my B2 MF setup. Sounds amazing for not too much coin.

Agreed. And to think, I was originally going to go with a straight muffler delete but opted against it. Decided my wife/infant son would probably not appreciate it and I certainly don't want to be that guy in the neighborhood.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agreed. And to think, I was originally going to go with a straight muffler delete but opted against it. Decided my wife/infant son would probably not appreciate it and I certainly don't want to be that guy in the neighborhood.
No doubt... Good call.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Told wife while back that i will install aftermarket muffler and she said NO, well i'm still go ahead did it and didn't let her know. Guess what? drove her around with new muffler on it and she don't even notice it, maybe she like the sound :):)

Such is life...I originally told my wife I was going to straight pipe the truck and she said no. The morning I was leaving, she asked where I was going and I said "muffler shop" and her reply was "I thought we agreed no straight pipe, you're a d*ck" - I went anyway. I ended up NOT doing the straight pipe but she didn't end up noticing the magnaflow either way. I've found that unless she is specifically looking for it, she won't notice a change unless it's something she paid attention to beforehand :sneaky:

Sv250

Reaction score
I had the same one installed. I thought it was barely different from stock. I just installed the Corsa front resonator delete and the flowmaster rear resonator delete kit. Sounds much better without resonators.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know she will know eventually but is my car so my way:cool::cool:, and then she will ask how much money you spent on the car already.:unsure::unsure:

Vic

Reaction score
Hey all, like many others here I felt the stock exhaust left something to be desired. That said, I had the magnaflow 11229 muffler welded in place of my OEM muffler over the holiday weekend and I gotta say, I think it sounds perfect (should've sounded at least like this from the factory).

Definitely more aggressive on cold start and much more rumble at idle. I've noticed a very slight bit of drone (nothing intolerable IMO) but only if you're holding a gear at the upper end of its rev range (on uphills mostly) but none w/MDS active. Other than that it offers a nice quiet ride in the cab during cruise but will open up under WOT. I'll try to upload the cold start video directly w/o having to source from youtube but can confirm what others have said is 100% accurate: sound clips don't do this setup justice; you really have to hear it in person.

I did the exact same swap using the 11229 from Magnaflow, and like you it was just what I was looking for. My coworkers noticed it right off and were complimentary of the sound. I don't notice any drone myself, but I like the sound at all speeds. Cheap money well spent.

Sv250

Reaction score
I had the same one installed. I thought it was barely different from stock. I just installed the Corsa front resonator delete and the flowmaster rear resonator delete kit. Sounds much better without resonators.
Correction, I have the 12589. 22 inch sorry

wangstarr03

Reaction score

Sound is definitely subjective - I was of the opinion that the stock setup was literally too quiet and I get it especially for the upper trim levels FCA wanted a quiet, insulated ride. It's by no means a drastic enough change to the opposite end of the spectrum but I'm of the opinion the magnaflow provides significant enough difference in aggression during startup, idle and WOT without being downright obnoxious. YMMV, of course. Different strokes for different folks esp keeping in mind I have an infant son who rides in the truck quite often. If it was just me all the time well, Borla Atak would probably already be in there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread