5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed Flowmaster muffler, left resonators, and now I have a ticking sound. What is it?

mac1983620

Reaction score
Did muffler swap only. Is it the holes in the resonators because of the increased airflow through the muffler? Will deleting the resonators get rid of this sound? I'd like it a little louder also, so maybe deleting the resonators would kill two birds with one stone? People that have actually had this issue, or did a muffler swap and deleted resonators, your input would be helpful.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you welded in the new mufflers, my guess would be an exhaust leak. If you clamped everything in; then get under it with it running to see if you can feel a leak at your seams.

mac1983620

Reaction score
Unless you welded in the new mufflers, my guess would be an exhaust leak. If you clamped everything in; then get under it with it running to see if you can feel a leak at your seams.
It's definitely not an exhaust leak. The new muffler was welded in by a very good exhaust shop so I know it was done right and everything else is Factory. I believe it's the resonators, but I'm just looking for someone who has done this to their truck that can confirm that.

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
I did a carven muffler swap. Did it myself and it's not welded, just clamped in. I have absolutely no sound other than the exhaust. Resonators dont make any weird noise. I have a 2019 rebel.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Check the clamps for exhaust leaks or anything u modified first

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Doubt its resonators..
It's a leak, bad muffler that was put in, or another issue not related to exhaust system lol.

Btw what flowmaster is it?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You have 3 resonators, the two back resonators and exhaust tips all have weep holes to allow moisture to get out. You will hear an "airy" sound at the back of the truck at idle as the air escapes from the holes. That sound will always be there if you don't plug them, but you risk having to replace the resonators in the future due to corrosion if you do.

But it shouldn't cause a engine tick noise and you shouldn't hear it from the front of the truck.

mac1983620

Reaction score
I've read people doing exactly what I did and having the same issue. I am specifically looking for people who have swapped mufflers and have found a way to correct this sound. I basically am looking to make sure that deleting my resonators will fix it. The resonators have weep holes in them to allow water to drain out. When you put on a higher flow muffler, more air can go through these holes and create my noise. That's at least my understanding. That's why this question is specific for people who have done what I've done. It's not the welds or any other component. This sound was not there at all before the muffler swap.

mac1983620

Reaction score
You have 3 resonators, the two back resonators and exhaust tips all have weep holes to allow moisture to get out. You will hear an "airy" sound at the back of the truck at idle as the air escapes from the holes. That sound will always be there if you don't plug them, but you risk having to replace the resonators in the future due to corrosion.

But it shouldn't cause a engine tick noise and you shouldn't hear it from the front of the truck.
So deleting the resonators should eliminate the problem I'd imagine, right? I can't see the tips being the cause.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So deleting the resonators should eliminate the problem I'd imagine, right? I can't see the tips being the cause.

I think I've done what you have. I had my stock muffler replaced with a custom welded Flowmaster Outlaw and that's it. I did not remove any of the resonators.

Other than a slight airy sound from the resonator at idle at the back of the truck, I don't hear any other sound. Is that the sound you are talking about? But I haven't noticed an engine tick you mentioned earlier.

I don't recommend removing the resonators, they do a good job in preventing drone inside the cab. If you want, you can get your muffler shop to simply weld the weep holes or you can just use JB weld, since you can dig it out later if you like, which is what a few members here have done. My shop actually mentioned they could fill that weep hole and move it further behind to make it hard to hear while still being functional.

Honestly, I don't notice the air coming from the weep holes anymore, just the awesome sound my Outlaw! I also don't hear any of it inside the cab, only when standing behind the truck.

Last edited:

mac1983620

Reaction score
I think I've done what you have. I had my stock muffler replaced with a custom welded Flowmaster Outlaw and that's it. I did not remove any of the resonators.

Other than a slight airy sound from the resonator at idle at the back of the truck, I don't hear any other sound. Is that the sound you are talking about? But I haven't noticed an engine tick you mentioned earlier.

I don't recommend removing the resonators, they do a good job in preventing drone inside the cab. If you want, you can get your muffler shop to simply weld the weep holes or you can just use JB weld, since you can dig it out later if you like, which is what a few members here have done. My shop actually mentioned they could fill that weep hole and move it further behind to make it hard to hear while still being functional.

Honestly, I don't notice the air coming from the weep holes anymore, just the awesome sound my Outlaw! I also don't hear any of it inside the cab, only when standing behind the truck.
There is no engine tick. The sound coming from the rear sounds like a ticking, kinda airy sound. I'm assuming the weep holes are easy to get to? I'd like to fill them and see if it fixes the issue.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There is no engine tick. The sound coming from the rear sounds like a ticking, kinda airy sound. I'm assuming the weep holes are easy to get to? I'd like to fill them and see if it fixes the issue.

Gotcha, then it's most definitely the weep holes.

Yes, should be easy to access. Just run the truck and pinpoint each one. Then wipe the holes with a rag and rubbing alcohol, then just use JB weld, wait 24 hours to cure. Should you change your mind later, you can always drill them out.

mac1983620

Reaction score
Gotcha, then it's most definitely the weep holes.

Yes, should be easy to access. Just run the truck and pinpoint each one. Then wipe the holes with a rag and rubbing alcohol, then just use JB weld, wait 24 hours to cure. Should you change your mind later, you can always drill them out.
Assuming they are on the under side. Are they fairly visible or pretty small?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Fairly visible but also small, there should be 4 weep holes on each resonator. 2 in the rear and 2 in the front, making 8 weep holes total from what I remember.

Easy to just run the truck and lay a blanket on the floor and inspect them, it should be pretty easy to spot.

mac1983620

Reaction score
Fairly visible but also small, there should be 4 weep holes on each resonator. 2 in the rear and 2 in the front, making 8 weep holes total from what I remember.

Easy to just run the truck and lay a blanket on the floor and inspect them, it should be pretty easy to spot.
I JB welded them, problem solved. Thanks man.

rome5982

Reaction score
So did this work as a longer term fix? Did it help make the exhaust sound better for those with just a direct muffler swap?

Users who are viewing this thread