5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed an S&B Cold Air Intake

21_Tank

Reaction score
Installed this S&B CAI yesterday on my 21 1500. The filter is pretty large and it definitely sounds good on acceleration, although these aren't as loud and throaty as an open CAI, I felt this will offer a little more protection from the elements. I've done quite a few mods to the truck since it arrived March 27th. Spray-in bedliner, tonneau cover, in-channel vent visors, wheels/tires. My next all-day mod attempt will be the rough country hidden LED light bar behind the bumper and the LED grill light bar flush inserts hooked up to a Trigger switching system. Wish me luck! I'll keep a tally of the curse words and number of tools thrown across the garage for all of you😀

Attachments

• 20210601_185458.jpg
    20210601_185458.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 205
  • 20210601_185451.jpg
    20210601_185451.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 20210601_163720.jpg
    20210601_163720.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 20210601_163648.jpg
    20210601_163648.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 206

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Installed this S&B CAI yesterday on my 21 1500. The filter is pretty large and it definitely sounds good on acceleration, although these aren't as loud and throaty as an open CAI, I felt this will offer a little more protection from the elements. I've done quite a few mods to the truck since it arrived March 27th. Spray-in bedliner, tonneau cover, in-channel vent visors, wheels/tires. My next all-day mod attempt will be the rough country hidden LED light bar behind the bumper and the LED grill light bar flush inserts hooked up to a Trigger switching system. Wish me luck! I'll keep a tally of the curse words and number of tools thrown across the garage for all of you😀
Why is your filter still wrapped in plastic??? These kits do look nice...it's just a shame they don't do much more than look pretty.

21_Tank

Reaction score
Why is your filter still wrapped in plastic??? These kits do look nice...it's just a shame they don't do much more than look pretty.
I had just taken it out of the box in that pic with the measuring tape. As far as how it looks completed in the truck, I ordered a filter wrap from S&B. Its a cleanable oiled filter and with this kit you can leave a panel off of the box to suck air in from 2 different locations (see green arrow in pic). So to help keep the filter cleaner longer and catch larger debris like bugs and stuff I bought the filter wrap, they're like an extra $26 from S&B. But the original plastic wrap was removed.

Attachments

• 20210606_114202.jpg
    20210606_114202.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 61

20bighorn20

Reaction score
Any noticeable HP gain? Thinking of putting one in my 2020 Big Horn

20bighorn20

Reaction score
Yeah that is what I figured. I talked to a guy today and he suggested a PCM Kit/Tuner w/ the CAI and said I could get some extra oomph buy going that route. I'll do some research on that and see what comes up. Thanks!

21_Tank

Reaction score
Any noticeable HP gain? Thinking of putting one in my 2020 Big Horn
It's hard to say. Haven't driven the truck much lately, only about 50 miles since installing it (I have a couple of other vehicles). But I definitely feel that there's more acceleration 'pull' through the 3500-5500 rpm when you mash the pedal. It doesn't feel like it flattens out. That's when you notice the sound improvement also. The open CAI's do seem to have better throttle response, but this unit provides a little more protection and will avoid any warranty issues on with a brand new truck at the dealer.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

i got the same one but i'm using the dry filter not oil filled, your next mod should be Mishimoto Oil Catch Can.

Jack.

Reaction score
A bit late on this but did you install it with or without the plug ? I got mine without it on and I think maybe I should have it on just to minimize the hot air ☠️

Users who are viewing this thread