5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infinity 3032 cfx dash speakers

Sixshooter54

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the install of the Infinity dash speakers on my 2021 Ram. I have read the long thread regarding speaker upgrades and didn't find anything regarding installing the inline capacitor included with the dash speaker kit. I have the Alpine system on my truck. Do these capacitors have to be installed or is there already some type of filter built in to this system. Thanks in advance for any help.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I swapped those speakers into my previous truck that had the Alpine system. I added the caps to them and they worked fine. Not sure if they were needed or not, but they don't hurt anything even if they aren't needed.

drumminj

Reaction score
I believe the capacitors are high-pass filters, and not needed with the Alpine system as a crossover has already been applied at the amp such that problematic low-frequency signals aren't sent to those speakers.

(I have the Alpine system in a 2021 and installed the speakers without the capacitors and have had no issues).

Sixshooter54

Reaction score
I believe the capacitors are high-pass filters, and not needed with the Alpine system as a crossover has already been applied at the amp such that problematic low-frequency signals aren't sent to those speakers.

(I have the Alpine system in a 2021 and installed the speakers without the capacitors and have had no issues).
Thanks for the information. I am going to install them today.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s strange, I’ve bought three sets of these over the last six months and never received filters with them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

You're correct. They block lower frequencies. When I installed these in my previous truck I didn't know if the Alpine system had a crossover or not, so I added the caps. It won't hurt anything if they are used even if there is a factory crossover. It just ads a little bit more work to the installation.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're correct. They block lower frequencies. When I installed these in my previous truck I didn't know if the Alpine system had a crossover or not, so I added the caps. It won't hurt anything if they are used even if there is a factory crossover. It just ads a little bit more work to the installation.
What filters are you talking about? Are they already soldered in, or do they come in the box?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What filters are you talking about? Are they already soldered in, or do they come in the box?
I'm talking about the capacitors that come with the speakers. I never referred to them as filters, but they are a sort of high pass filter in this application.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm talking about the capacitors that come with the speakers. I never referred to them as filters, but they are a sort of high pass filter in this application.
OK, Old Timers always called them filters so it stuck with me. In either case, the Alpine amp is not going to be able to differentiate the signals it sends to the drivers and the tweeters. If you don’t have the capacitors in place, then you’re sending frequencies that the tweeters are not designed to handle. That will most likely cause them to prematurely fail. How long it takes for that to happen is anyone’s guess, but an Infinity tech rep would probably have more insight into that.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK, Old Timers always called them filters so it stuck with me. In either case, the Alpine amp is not going to be able to differentiate the signals it sends to the drivers and the tweeters. If you don’t have the capacitors in place, then you’re sending frequencies that the tweeters are not designed to handle. That will most likely cause them to prematurely fail. How long it takes for that to happen is anyone’s guess, but an Infinity tech rep would probably have more insight into that.
If that's the case then it was good that I used them. They come with the speakers but are not connected. I soldered them on when I installed the speakers. And I'm kind of an old timer myself LOL. But I went to school for electronics (a long time ago) so I usually refer to them by their component designation, capacitors.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If that's the case then it was good that I used them. They come with the speakers but are not connected. I soldered them on when I installed the speakers. And I'm kind of an old timer myself LOL. But I went to school for electronics (a long time ago) so I usually refer to them by their component designation, capacitors.
Ahhh, ok. All three sets of mine were pre-soldered. I was really confused for a little while.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed these dash speakers the other day. It's as if they aren't getting power. I'm missing frequency range and sound stage appears to be behind me now.

I used the Metra 72-7902 adapters. Do I need to repin the polarity on these?

I have the HK system...if that changes anything.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed these dash speakers the other day. It's as if they aren't getting power. I'm missing frequency range and sound stage appears to be behind me now.

They are going back to the vendor tomorrow.
I tried reversing polarity, then put the stock speakers back in.

Stocks measure exactly 4 ohms. The infinity measured 3 ohms. Both had the same value capacitor pre-installed, but the Infinity at level 14 were as loud as stock on level 3.

No wonder my soundstage moved to the rear and I was missing frequency ranges I knew was in the song.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

To answer your question on the polarity, no, you don’t need to swap pins.

Users who are viewing this thread